Shrimp Boil rookie

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
Wife and I just built a house and are wanting to have several friends over for a cookout. I was thinking about doing a shrimp boil with the fixings. Was hoping some of you Southern chefs could help me out with a recipe and or pointer or two. Thanks

I just did my first one for 14 people and had leftovers. Timing everything out is very important.

10 lbs shrimp
8 lbs andoullie sausage (cut into shorter pieces)
frozen corn (small cobs)
10 lbs potatoes (smaller)
Bread (we made garlic)

2 1/2 gallons water
2- 8 oz Louisiana liquid concentrated crawfish, crab and shrimp boil
4 lemons cut in half
6 small whole onions skinned

(I let all the food items come up to room temp so I could get a quick recovery on the boiling water.)
Add concentrate, onions & lemons to the water and bring to boil.
Add potatoes keeping in mind size will dictate the length of time needed to boil. (usually 15 minutes or so before adding anything else)
Add corn and sausage
Add shrimp/crawfish (these actually only take a couple of minutes to fully cook.

If it were just me I'd would add something to spice it up more. Maybe more concentrate. Good luck with your boil!

Thanks Slick and M-5. I'll have to check the availability of crawdads. I like them but not sure if the women and kids will.

M-5":2m53zk24 said:
That's how they pick their wifes in la and ms. They only marry girls that suck the head of a crawfish

:lol: Buddy and I went to a crawfish boil one year and had a blast. Went the next year and I noticed the guy only ate a handful. I asked him what was wrong and he said either I drank way more beer last year or the lights are brighter this year. He got a little squimish on me.

slick4591":p2yljrb7 said:
I just did my first one for 14 people and had leftovers. Timing everything out is very important.

10 lbs shrimp
8 lbs andoullie sausage (cut into shorter pieces)
frozen corn (small cobs)
10 lbs potatoes (smaller)
Bread (we made garlic)

2 1/2 gallons water
2- 8 oz Louisiana liquid concentrated crawfish, crab and shrimp boil
4 lemons cut in half
6 small whole onions skinned

(I let all the food items come up to room temp so I could get a quick recovery on the boiling water.)
Add concentrate, onions & lemons to the water and bring to boil.
Add potatoes keeping in mind size will dictate the length of time needed to boil. (usually 15 minutes or so before adding anything else)
Add corn and sausage
Add shrimp/crawfish (these actually only take a couple of minutes to fully cook.

If it were just me I'd would add something to spice it up more. Maybe more concentrate. Good luck with your boil!

After you have added everything and the water is boiling again add your shrimp. When the water comes back up to boiling they should be done. Have an ice chest with ice ready and pour the shrimp right onto the ice. There ready to eat.

Latest posts