shrimp and grits

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
IMAG0638.jpg

Grits, shrimp, cheese, butter, garlic, greek seasoning and a little bit of slap yo momma.

I am not a grits connoisseur, but I was under the impression that it would be shrimp an cheese grits. Cheese grits being a completely different dish from regular grits....?

At least that was what a woman from Mississippi was telling.

I have yet to figure out how people can stand to eat grits. For six months I had G&G and a greasy piece of pork sauage for breakfast and I could hardly choke any of it down. But like the Tom T Hall song, after a couple of days I wasn;t so hard to please. Just the idea of them turns my stomach to this day and that was 45 years ago.

Ya'll that don't like em just have never had a cheese grit sandwich. I'm 99% sure that the manna they refer to in the Bible is grits.

Jogeephus":20y864u1 said:
Ya'll that don't like em just have never had a cheese grit sandwich. I'm 99% sure that the manna they refer to in the Bible is grits.

Does it go good with quail? I seem to remember something about manna and quail provided each day. I haven't tried grits, but if it goes good with quail, I'm willing to try.

Commercialfarmer":2b14v0nr said:
Jogeephus":2b14v0nr said:

Does it go good with quail? I seem to remember something about manna and quail provided each day. I haven't tried grits, but if it goes good with quail, I'm willing to try.

Grits have no remarkable flavor on their own. Texture is more important. I don't like mushy/creamy grits. For breakfast grits, add a little salt, a big plop of cow butter, and maybe a little sugar. They eat good alone, or use your breakfast meat and biscuits to mop them up. Find a Waffle House, they have good grits.

We have a local miller who raises some 100+ year old corn variety and he grinds and sells it. His grits take longer to cook but they are much better than the quick grits you buy in the store.

He will also grind the corn you bring him. His mill seperates it into about four different types. I like the coarser grits. He is very helpful to have around. You never know when you might need some cracked corn for the chickens.

Yes, one of the bins has what he calls baby grits. These cook much faster and I think this is what is termed quick grits in the store.

Deepsouth":1zzdwo53 said:
Ouachita":1zzdwo53 said:
Grits is like rice; not worth a shyt unless you doctor them up, and the result depends on the doctor

EXACTLY! These were doctored up right. Shrimp is like ketchup it makes everything good. :cboy:
Was watching one of those "food" shows the other day and they were eating Shrimp and grits in Charleston, S.C. I think it was. Seems to be really popular there.

That's whats called low country cooking. Grits, since they are really just a tasteless filler, were used to stretch out the meager food they had on hand. One of my favorite dishes is breakfast in a cup which is just cheese grits with two scrambled eggs and a patty of sausage mixed all up in it and served in a cup. Its good and filling and will hold you nearly all day. Good stuff.

Latest posts