Showmanship Judging Tips

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Now that Im in college, my old Ag teacher asked me to judge the showmanship part of their schools show. Not just cattle, but goats, lambs and pigs too. Does anyone have any tips? The teacher has always told me Im the best at showing that hes ever had, but this is the first time judging for me.

Ok for lambs, I watch for and do when I show is hold there ears up off there head. When you pull them out of line the kid should make a figer8 coming to you stop set the lamb up with the lamb facing you then going away finshing the figer8. The lamb should be set up at all times and they should drive the lamb when you come by to feel of it. For Pigs the pig should walk clam and slow, the kid should have a ease time controling the pig. If you touch the pig the kid should brush it off. When you pen the kid they should open there on gate pen ther pig then watch for you the pull them back out, they should open the gate let there pig out,then go out and shut there gate back.That's what has got me a lot of times in showmanship is the gate. On goats, it's a lot like lambs only with goats they have a chain on them Vs. having nothing on a lamb. But everything else is close to being the same. And also they should know the weight on the goat, lamb, pig, steer. On Heifers/steers just watch for a kid who does a great job showing the calf, its alway set-up and in place, the kid is always on the right side when you come by to look at the calf, and when there head/tail there should be about a good amount of space between the calf and the fence so you can walk by. And always make sure they have an eye on you and eye on there animal and what's going on. Hope this helps Good luck

If I don't know how, I would turn down the job. I've seen really good cattle showman that couldn't show their way out of a wet paper sack in the hog ring.

Albeit, you want to gain experience, but gaining experience at the expense of possibly looking stupid is of no value to you. Turn it down, graciously, and go to some shows with other species for a few years and then start judging.

There's nothing worse than judging a show and having them say "we'll never have him back". You can make a name for yourself one way or another; I'd rather it be good than not so good.

I do know what to look for, Ive showed all of those animals before, and done quite well (Ive won showmanship at the school show every year with everything Ive had). I know to look for the kid who really knows their animal, and looks the best doing. Im looking more for tips that I can do maybe like if Im having a tough decision between a couple people that will show me who is the best.

I have had to judge beef before..dont know much about the other species that your workin with. (I have shown them..but not judged and lets just say i didnt do the best) Anyway..with the top two I ask more questions. Make them parade by themselves so that I can see how they handle the animals on the move. Set up right next to eachother. (easier to compare than half way across the arena) Lastly. I like to send the top two to the bottom of the class and see how they handle it. You can expect to see a little dissapointment/confusion, but if one starts pouting and stops showing, then you know the winner.

Anyway, just think of some good judges in your eyes, and try to remember how THEY picked the top. I am by no means an actuall judge...I am a county ambassador that runs a yearly showmanship training session and judge the kids in a mock showmanship competition, so take my advise as you want.

I didnt much of the posts, so sorry if i repeat.

However, if it is tough, don't make it a quiz-bowl. I've seen judges ask all kinds of questions that have nothing to do with the kids ability to show, or even the kids knowing the animal. If you do ask questions ask them about the animal "What would you change?" something like that. the best I experienced was this: on the profile line-up, the judge had the ring steward take the lead from me and brought me to the middle of the ring... she then proceeded to ask me questions about my animal and the one in front of it... like "how would you set that animal up better?" "what do you like about your animal over the other animal, and vice versu?" "which animal would you select for yourself?" ... stuff like that. It was pretty cool and I've never seen it done like that any other time, but i liked it.

also, having the kids switch animals, to see how they handle other animals and if they make a circle as soon as they take the lead... and having them switch holes in the line-up is always a good way to see if they make the circles correctly.

hope this helps

Ryan

p.s. Good luck, i'm sure it'll be a great experience for you.

Latest posts