Tips for showing Highlanders and Highlander crossbreds???

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
My family raises crossbreds and we are going to introduce Highlanders for some hair to work with, however they have a LOT more hair than I'm used to. What is the advice on how to manage the hair on half and full bloods?

One of the largest Highland shows in America is held in Syr, NY. Most of them are strickly washed & conditioned ( I would guess they put a sheen product on them). Lots of combing. A few are clipped. Lot of breeders are totally against this. But, they look sooooo much better. Not a lot. Just enough to tidy them up. Block out around the forehead so you can see that they can SEE. Block out the neck, shoulders, rear & bellie line. Not enough that they don't have long flowing hair, just enough that they are smoother in their appearance.

There is a horse product made by Absorbine called "Show Sheen". It is a water based hair polish spray that is excellent for detangling and keeping the hair from matting and tangling. It does not leave any sort of oily residue so it could be useful when fitting before the show. It does not attract dust like some sprays.

You can spray it on while the animal is wet or use it on a dry animal. You don't need to use it daily.

Absorbine-Show-Sheen.jpg

If you need to condition the hair before the show, you can use Pink Sheen spray. It is an oil based spray that you can buy in the ethnic hair section at stores (Walmart & grocery stores). It is good stuff and much cheaper than buying an oil spray labeled for cattle (like Sullivans' products). Spray it on and use a rice root brush to work it into the hair. Our extension agent told us about it when our kids were showing.

45129525-260x260-0-0_Lusters+Lusters+Pink+Oil+Sheen+Hair+Spray+10+5+Oz+.jpg

Good luck and don't forget to post pics! : )