Showing Cattle-benefits

Help Support CattleToday:

Terri":g0vhd6gp said:
I don't need pure breds, I just want something small. I have a daughter wih stomach problems and her dr. wants us to limit her possible exposure to unnecessary antibiotics and steroids until they can figure out what the problem is. Right now her diet is very limited and I don't want to cut beef out when we move. We have a few beefmasters but I don't want to move them and I don't know how well they would adapt to the cooler weather of New Mexico. Roswell is much cooler than Mc Allen.

The original Beefmaster herd that was started in Texas (Lasater) is now located in Matheson, CO. So I guess the breed can work outside south Texas.

I read that, but they are large and want to get something smaller. And mine are used to the heat and being at sea level. I would like to get something that is already adapted to the cooler/drier climate and higher elevation. I guess I'll just have to watch and see whats available when we get there.

Terri

I have moved cattle all over Canada and in the old days from your country to mine. If you like your cows - take 'em with you. They'll adapt I can assure you.

Hot to cold and cold to hot - they are amazing creatures.

Bez

Terri":2bvi88eb said:
I read that, but they are large and want to get something smaller. And mine are used to the heat and being at sea level. I would like to get something that is already adapted to the cooler/drier climate and higher elevation. I guess I'll just have to watch and see whats available when we get there.

You might do just as well to buy beef for your daughter. Organic or "natural" beef is available over the internet and in supermarkets around the US. "Natural" beef has not had any antibiotics or hormones. Organic must have grazed pastures certified organic and fed organic feed. Just another option...

We are thinking about it. My main concern is the amount of grass that will be available compared to what we have now. I have only been to Roswell once and can't remember how much grass is there. I don't want to feed a ton of hay. We used to live near El Paso and I don't see how the cows there lived. There was almost no grass. I know they eat misquite, but how much additional hay would I have to feed?

Oh, and where I live in order to get organic beef I would have to go over the internet. There are no stores here that carry it. I have a friend with a ranch here that gives me his orphan/ill calves or really young calves he picks up at work (auction) and I get half of what he gets for them when he sells, or if there is more than one he will give me half of the animals. My main investment is time. He provides the meds (when necessary) and I supply the pasture and care. Very little out of pocket for me until time to butcher.

As many of us have said before, We expect them to preform in, and out of the show ring. Yes, lots are pampered, and also lots aren't. Mine get put in pasture from April 10-30, and taken back into corrals, then when they are ready for the ring they are put on the 1/2 acre of pasture. Three is green grass, minerals, small square clover bailes, and a handfull of grain. If they don't come up to us in that time period that we are there with grain and eat it out of our hands, then they don't get it.(its a little treat 8) )

Your south Texas cattle should do fine in the high country of New Mexico. But don't take a slick haired, non-butterball cow or bull from way down south and place it in a real cold, snowy environment in the dead of winter. Make the move at a more moderate time of year.

And it's not just the volume of grass that counts, but also the nutritional value. It will probably take a lot less volume out west and north to maintain a cow than it does where you're from. Down along the coast we have pretty "weak" grass with a lot of water content. Your grass way down in McAllen may be better than what is found along the upper to mid Texas coast but I would imagine that it is still probably relatively "weak". Heck, you can go to the Texas hill country and see a profound difference in the cattle based on "stronger" grass than what you are probably accustomed to.

Well the time of year won't be our decision. I guess if its not warm yet up there we will just get a couple of heifers when we get there. If not I would like to take mine. My rancher friend is hoping I will sell to him instead of taking them.

I've never heard the difference in grass explained that way.
Maybe thats why most of the cattle around here look kinda thin to me. I grew up in the hill country (sort of) and the cows were always much fatter with no feed. I don't ever remember having to feed hay to pastured cows like they do down here. Of course summer is much drier and hotter here. I think we are right above the "desert" mark in the rainfall catagory.

There is a lot of difference in hay & grass. Cattle can literally starve to death knee deep in grass (or hay feeders full of hay) if it doesn't have any feed value. If their manure is like horse droppings, there isn't very much value in what they are eating.

That's nice to know. I knew that differeent grasses had different nutritional values, but not the same grass in different locations. Thats interesting.

Latest posts