Showing Cattle-benefits

Help Support CattleToday:

That's how I feel! I just want to raise a good animal.

I don't want to show unless I need to.

I want work on my bloodlines until I have all the qualities I want. I want to have a animal that breeds easily, is gentle and low key, calves without much assistance and is just a pleasure to have around.

I want to breed a animal that is designed for the hobby farmer. For the guy that just wants a couple of cows to eat down his pasture, put a little meat on his table and perhaps have a calf or two to sell.

Do you think that I could make a living with selling that kind of a animal?

My husband wants to have two incomes. I told him unless I could work outside with animals that wasn't going to happen. So he said we could get a farm if I could find something that would make a bit of money. Do you think that their would be enough people interested in the find of cattle I descibed?

You've pretty much described the Dexter breeders I know of. And unless you have a lot of them, no, you won't make a living off of them. But you could try llamas or emus. It's about the same deal.

dun

How would Dexters do in the New Mexico/Texas area? Up around El Paso? If we can get moved up there I would like to get a few cows.

Terri":34jcd7sn said:
How would Dexters do in the New Mexico/Texas area? Up around El Paso? If we can get moved up there I would like to get a few cows.

Miniature Herefords do well in that area, don't know anything about Dexters. The largest miniature Hereford ranch in the world is located in Fort Davis, Texas. Point of Rocks Ranch. They have several hundred head of cows.

Terri":2oghz62f said:

I don;t have the link to it, but the Dexter association can fix you up with lists of breeders all over the country.

dun

SF":23txs1k1 said:
Terri":23txs1k1 said:

Miniature Herefords do well in that area, don't know anything about Dexters. The largest miniature Hereford ranch in the world is located in Fort Davis, Texas. Point of Rocks Ranch. They have several hundred head of cows.
I think the ornamentals liek the little mini Herefords are so cute. Really precious and sweet...what the heck are they good for though??
Do you get a discount on your R-Calf membership ifyou have those insteada real cows???

They're used for and make a pretty good team of light working oxen. Other then that they're about in the same category as Dexters for small beefs on small farms.

dun

You can find some info at the following web sites regarding mini herefords.
http://www.mini-hereford.com
http://www.miniature-hereford.com
I can produce more actual pounds of beef per acre with the miniature herefords than I can will the full size cattle. A couple of my mini cows weigh nearly 1100 pounds. The only thing I sacrifice is the "soup bone".

They don't fit everyones situation, but there is a market for them. They make great freezer beef, etc...

To each there own.

SF said:
They don't fit everyones situation, but there is a market for them. They make great freezer beef, etc...

To each there own.

That's really all I want. A few cows to raise my own beef.

Thanks for the sites. I'll check them out. Are the mini herfords good eating? What about the Dexters? Will a standard barbedwire fence hold them? Or will I need the field fencing?

I would say that by the time you pay the huge premium for breeding stock they would be very expensive eating. Like most livestock ''fads'' the money is all in the breeding stock.
your friend
Mike

Terri":2pf3p9tl said:
SF":2pf3p9tl said:

To each there own.

That's really all I want. A few cows to raise my own beef.

Thanks for the sites. I'll check them out. Are the mini herfords good eating? What about the Dexters? Will a standard barbedwire fence hold them? Or will I need the field fencing?

I keep a lot of them in pastures with just a 3 strand hot wire fence. They are very docile and as long as they have feed and water, they aren't looking for a place to go. I find them to be excellent eating. They will finish out well on grass, if you like grass fed beef.

mwj":3b81mq7u said:
I would say that by the time you pay the huge premium for breeding stock they would be very expensive eating. Like most livestock ''fads'' the money is all in the breeding stock.
your friend
Mike

I tried to get a pair of weanling steers to train for oxen, they ran about the same as Dexters. $800 bucks each. Seems pretty nuts since I can get Holsteins for $150, and a lot cheaper as bottle calves.

dun

dun":11jeo83t said:
mwj":11jeo83t said:
your friend
Mike

I tried to get a pair of weanling steers to train for oxen, they ran about the same as Dexters. $800 bucks each. Seems pretty nuts since I can get Holsteins for $150, and a lot cheaper as bottle calves.

dun
Dun what did they weigh and what do you guess a quarter pound burger from one would cost :lol:
your friend
Mike

If I recall, they were in the 350 lb range. Might as well eat truffles at the price per pound.

dun

I can produce more actual pounds of beef per acre with the miniature herefords than I can will the full size cattle. A couple of my mini cows weigh nearly 1100 pounds. The only thing I sacrifice is the "soup bone".

Now I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I know I don't like it when I make a statement & certain board members jump down my throat - BUT

I'll bite since no one else has. How can a 1100# cow be considered Minature - and if it is based on height, what difference is a short 1100# cow vs a tall 1100# cow. I would like to also know what kind of weaning weights you are getting to produce more meat per acre.

A short 1100# cow is going to require just as much feed per day (whether its grass, hay or grain) as an 1100# tall cow, and she will make just as big and deep footprints in the soggy ground to tear up pastures.

Do you breed to a 1100# minature bull?

I'm sorry, but if anyone wants to make money in beef cattle, you should check with your local extension agent & find out what sells. And if you really want a niche market, you are going to have to pay for the novelty breed & do a lot of advertising to convince people you have a product to sell for more money than they pay at the grocery store. Now with all the tree huggers, that may not be all that hard. If you live near a big city, there might be a large market for a niche product.
I'll stick to something tried & true and known worldwide, but good luck.

The term miniature is referring to height. True miniature hereford cows will range in height from 37 inche to 45 inches. Then there are the classic style herefords that will be slightly taller up to about 48 inches. Most miniature cows will weigh 800+
Weaning weights on my calves will be about 400 pounds.
The bull I currently use weighs about 950
Miniature Herefords have been around for quite some time. Many people just don't much about them.
You can find some information at the following web sites
http://www.mini-hereford.com
http://www.miniature-hereford.com
http://www.falsterfarm.com

After giving more thought to the subject of niche markets, I decided to reply. Are miniature cattle a niche market. Absolutely! I just sold 2 registered heifers and a registered bull for $8,000. These calves will be delivered when they are weaned. It is certainly a niche market, but one that seems to be quite profitable for me at the moment.

I don't get that much for all of my calves, but certainly on some of the better ones.

The miniature cattle market is directed towards the small acreages and backyards. There are all sizes of miniatures and herefords are certainly on the larger end of the miniatures.

These are my final thoughts on this subject

Terri":3f7smamn said:
Why wouldn't they want a bull who's sire was a show animal? What difference would that make?

My uncle bought a show bull that couldn't cut the mustard in the ring. He looked really good. One month later he looked like a broke mouth 20 year old cow with twins. I don't mind buying bulls that have been fed but would recomend people letting them dry out befor using them. I just feed mine hay and mineral for two months then turn em in. Let that baby fat go away a little.

Scotty

My uncle bought a show bull that couldn't cut the mustard in the ring. He looked really good. One month later he looked like a broke mouth 20 year old cow with twins. I don't mind buying bulls that have been fed but would recomend people letting them dry out befor using them. I just feed mine hay and mineral for two months then turn em in. Let that baby fat go away a little.

That is what we usually do with the show bulls. You have to see how well they will do when they are on pasture and limited feed.
Also for our gain tested bulls, we only take them to tests where they are made to gain mainly on forage; it really shows the bull's TRUE potential, and what he will be like while breeding cows.

I don't need pure breds, I just want something small. I have a daughter wih stomach problems and her dr. wants us to limit her possible exposure to unnecessary antibiotics and steroids until they can figure out what the problem is. Right now her diet is very limited and I don't want to cut beef out when we move. We have a few beefmasters but I don't want to move them and I don't know how well they would adapt to the cooler weather of New Mexico. Roswell is much cooler than Mc Allen.

Latest posts