Show Steer Bulls What Happens to them?

Help Support CattleToday:

choward2955jd

Reaction score
I was wandering what happens to a show bull once he has ran his time as a show steer bull. I noticed that Lautner Farms has many show bulls advertised. What happens when they are not popular anymore. ( Just using them as an example)

Do they sell them at the stockyards?
Do they use them on cows?

Just curious to know an answer.

choward2955jd":1bbfebw5 said:
I was wandering what happens to a show bull once he has ran his time as a show steer bull. I noticed that Lautner Farms has many show bulls advertised. What happens when they are not popular anymore. ( Just using them as an example)

There is no such thing as a "steer bull". Without the hardware he is just a steer and can't breed...wink wink ;-)

What i meant was the A.I. Bulls that are used for steers and heifers show calves. What happens to the bull once his popularity has ran its course?
Angus/Brangus":gn5zoqz5 said:
choward2955jd":gn5zoqz5 said:

The "show steers" generally get bid on and then awarded to the highest bidder. Since the steer has no value beyond the meat, they end up at the butchers. It's not so much the steer as supporting the person who raised the steer with the money that was bidded. They use the money for college or whatever.

Like Mike C said, the steers get "et". And if it's an Angus steer then CAB looks even better :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have never heard of a bull that make better steer calves than heifers? I though this was common knowledge with A.I. Bulls. I have heard many people talk about certain bulls making better steers calves than heifers.
1848":1431cmab said:
choward2955jd":1431cmab said:

There is no such thing as a "steer bull". Without the hardware he is just a steer and can't breed...wink wink ;-)

choward2955jd":764k4d2l said:

I think you're referring to bulls that sire good show steers?

It depends on what Lautner wants to do with them. The ultimate end to most every beef animal is someone's dinner plate. Unless a bull is so good that he's kept after he's no longer producing semen or no one wants the semen, he'll go to slaughter. I know people who have kept AI bulls well after their $$ value has faded, just because they're proud of him and want to let him live his life out in comfort on their ranch.

Like anything else the semen sales will slow down. It does not mean that no one will ever use it again. Personally I would rather use some of the old great bulls that have been proven over many generations than the new trendy bull that have proven nothing.
I just picked up 50 straws(ampules) of some bulls that were born in the earley 70's.
The last show I went to I noticed that I was not the only one doing this, judgeing by the pedagrees.

novatech":2wtz040u said:
Like anything else the semen sales will slow down. It does not mean that no one will ever use it again. Personally I would rather use some of the old great bulls that have been proven over many generations than the new trendy bull that have proven nothing.
I just picked up 50 straws(ampules) of some bulls that were born in the earley 70's.
The last show I went to I noticed that I was not the only one doing this, judgeing by the pedagrees.

do you still get the "tools" to use ampules?

ampules was before my time and although I have seen some I have never used it

KNERSIE":14ots9iv said:
novatech":14ots9iv said:

Getting the correct pipettes may be a little difficult but still should be do-able. There used to be some fancy plastic bulbs that you used with the pippettes but I just used surgical tubing and a syringe.
The thaw ice bath is where some people run into problems.

KNERSIE":30u8230u said:
novatech":30u8230u said:

I've still got the little "scratcher"/"scorer" tool deal with the hollow end for breaking off the tops and some pipettes with bulbs left over from when I worked for ABS back in the 60's.

Can't imagine where you would get that stuff today.

MikeC":z2r9cwdp said:
KNERSIE":z2r9cwdp said:
novatech":z2r9cwdp said:

I've still got the little "scratcher"/"scorer" tool deal with the hollow end for breaking off the tops and some pipettes with bulbs left over from when I worked for ABS back in the 60's.

I never used anything fancy to open the ampules, just snapped the top aff with my fingers. Since they're scored at the break line it's easy and they break clean.

For the really big name bulls, they have a tendency to just keep on producing until they ultimately die. I'm not sure why but a lot of them seem to stifle themselves. Of course, now, the big timers are cloned so their genetics will just keep on being produced.

For the 2nd and 3rd tier AI bulls, they become lease bulls. The last time I heard, you can lease some of the bulls that were promoted a few years ago but didn't become huge hits for about $1,500/month. Judging by what they look like, I would assume a large portion of them are put down after they injure themselves due to being overworked.

They get et.

While the most logical answer, I'm not sure that's true for most of them now that there are tighter restrictions on downers.

dun":1ev3wuqb said:
MikeC":1ev3wuqb said:
KNERSIE":1ev3wuqb said:
novatech":1ev3wuqb said:

I never used anything fancy to open the ampules, just snapped the top aff with my fingers. Since they're scored at the break line it's easy and they break clean.
Some of the early ones weren't "pre" scored.

Had guys tell me they had cut their thumb by popping them off.

Never saw it, but heard it.

The scorers came in the boxes we sold back then.

MikeC":7hrbp6fn said:
dun":7hrbp6fn said:
MikeC":7hrbp6fn said:
KNERSIE":7hrbp6fn said:
novatech":7hrbp6fn said:

Some of the early ones weren't "pre" scored.

Had guys tell me they had cut their thumb by popping them off.

Never saw it, but heard it.

The scorers came in the boxes we sold back then.

I had one of those little deals that looked like a piece of tubing, never could figure out what it was for. The stuff I used was all prescored but it all came from Carnation Genetics. The real challenge was the magic wands.

It makes me wonder then if a lot of the A.I. Bulls you see advertised that are used for breeding the (showsteers) are people just finding young bulls and hoping they will make something great?? I raise Chianina cattle and I have noticed you cant find any registered chianina or chianina cross bulls listed anymore. I also noticed you see a great deal of composite bulls. Are these bulls just a shot in the dark to make good bulls? Or has someone took the time to breed these bulls?
novatech":3mzdb65v said:

I buy my show cattle at the Kentucky Beef Expo (Chiangus or Chimaine) It is sad to see the bulls that are here today gone today holding the prices high on show cattle that may not make good replacement cattle. I wish some of the old bull great bulls of the chianina breed would make a comeback. It seems what make the show cattle turn is the hot bull of the momement.

Does anyone use any old Chianina bull semen? Sugar Ray, 18u, Awesome, KK New design etc....
Does anyone still use the Angus bull Pindrive Big Sky? He was awesome
If anyone does please respond I miss the good old days
Third Row":1uswb95w said:
For the really big name bulls, they have a tendency to just keep on producing until they ultimately die. I'm not sure why but a lot of them seem to stifle themselves. Of course, now, the big timers are cloned so their genetics will just keep on being produced.

For the 2nd and 3rd tier AI bulls, they become lease bulls. The last time I heard, you can lease some of the bulls that were promoted a few years ago but didn't become huge hits for about $1,500/month. Judging by what they look like, I would assume a large portion of them are put down after they injure themselves due to being overworked.

They get et.

While the most logical answer, I'm not sure that's true for most of them now that there are tighter restrictions on downers.

Does anyone use any old Chianina bull semen? Sugar Ray, 18u, Awesome, KK New design etc....
Does anyone still use the Angus bull Pindrive Big Sky? He was awesome
If anyone does please respond I miss the good old days
Third Row said:
Do you really want those chis? 10 frame psycho bulls with no hair and big birthweights? I realize there are lot of really crappy club calf bulls out there (25 times more is probably an actual fair guess), but if you call around and talk to people that have used the bulls you can find one that will work for your operation. Sugar Ray and KK had calves that were absolute nuts sometimes!