show heifer that kicks

Help Support CattleToday:

snowflake

Reaction score
we just purchased a 5 month old show heifer that is already halter broke. We have taken her to 2 shows and now she has started kicking everytime we are around her, even washing and blow drying her, walking her etc. Is there any specific thing we can do to get this stopped before our 9 yr. old shows her again.

Tie her up and roll a ball back and forth underneath her, this has worked for us before, they eventually get use to things moving around them and stop kicking.

However, even the gentlest animal that may not ever kick, can get spooked and will kick. Always be alert around her.

mom

TxSimbrahShower":2weca540 said:
Tie her up and roll a ball back and forth underneath her, this has worked for us before, they eventually get use to things moving around them and stop kicking.

However, even the gentlest animal that may not ever kick, can get spooked and will kick. Always be alert around her.

mom

And then there is the one that kicks just for the heck of it. Not necesarrily trying to kick anything, just wants to let you know that she's able.

dun

dun":2ykwreqc said:
TxSimbrahShower":2ykwreqc said:

mom

And then there is the one that kicks just for the heck of it. Not necesarrily trying to kick anything, just wants to let you know that she's able.

dun
Yep, we had one like that 2 years ago, and one 3 years ago. Sometimes they'll just kick when you first bring them home after purchase, but it sounds like you've had her for a while. Swatting may help a mild case, but maybe not. Try putting herin a squeeze chute while washing, etc... for a while

I have had some luck using a broom. Take the broom and touch the calf all over, when the calf kicks he really isn't kicking at anything. The ball sounds good also.

What Ive always done at work and at home, is just get an old show stick or any long stick, long enough for you to be out of harms way. Tie her up and just run the stick up and down her legs, and underneath her. Pretty much just rub her all over with the stick. She will kick for a while, but eventually will settle down and realize shes not doing anything by doing all that kicking. She will figure it out after a while.

I have one heifer that I have named Bruce ( for Bruce Lee), because every day when I feed cubes she runs by me and bucks and gives that lil karate side kick. She is never close enough to conect, and does not show aggresion, just exited I recon. I never turn my back on her ( or any of them for that matter ), She just likes showing off. I was going to name her Chuck ( Chuck Norris ) but I already had "Chuck Roast" in the feed lot :lol: ;-)
I do not know anything about showing, but it would seem to me that if the calf was trained with kick hobbles, they would have to come off sooner or later, and in the ring is no place for her to feel her freedom so to speek, :oops: :mad: JMO.
Good luck, and let us know what inded up working for you.
Mac

the Mrs. tied an empty milk jug in the tail. worked for her calf. they get tired of kicking at the jug day after day, and just quit.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2bev4n1r said:
What Ive always done at work and at home, is just get an old show stick or any long stick, long enough for you to be out of harms way. Tie her up and just run the stick up and down her legs, and underneath her. Pretty much just rub her all over with the stick. She will kick for a while, but eventually will settle down and realize shes not doing anything by doing all that kicking. She will figure it out after a while.

to add to this:

tie a bag or an old coat to the end of the stick and kinda make noise around her back legs. Pet her back legs with it as well.

Ever since we got a few barn cats we havent really had a bad kicker. *knocks on wood* I was out with my newest steer the other day and the cat (out of the blue, steer didn'tk now she was there) came and rubbed inbetween his back legs. No kick whatsoever!

Hope i helped some!!
~Colorado~

Latest posts