Should somebody stand up and say something?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Show time
The world sucks for people that are not "normal". It is something that I had to learn fast when we had her. I did place a call to NAD (national association for the deaf) and after that I did get a decent response. If I lost my temper every time I had something like this happen I would be dead or in jail.

The one thing that would tighten up on the "cheaters" would be some better questions during the interview. I remember them asking the same questions every time.

Heh, I am Big Brother who is supposed to know it all and bring some perfectly fitted animals to fair each year. Well, 7 years from the start, I kinda sorta can clip and bring better feedlot steers every year. I'm not in it for a Grand Champ with 3 inch long hair that makes the calf look good and I am learning not to give a darn about the kids who do similar things to what you brought up. Their money, their life, and they can spend both any way they want to. I return a nice little profit each year and am building up a good herd. Sure, I want to make Denver and big time shows with fitted cattle to market my product, but it'll be my blood, sweat, and tears that went into making an animal ready for that show. I do all my own work and am proud of it, obviously. Oh well, enough horn tooting. The kid'll be out of 4-H in 2 years. I reckon then the playing field'll be a little more level.

Blackcowz,
That is the right way to approach it; you have done your best with what you have and made a profit. There will always be people who spend way too much money just to get their purple banner, let them have it. Keep doing a job you can be proud of.

One simple rule that is easily enforced is one that states that only 4-H kids, parents or leaders can fit the animal at the show. I understand that doesn't solve all the problems but it's a good start. Baby steps

If the kid is breaking your fair rules, then report him.

If he isn't, then leave it alone. What his parents do is their business, not yours. Saying that you want to make a "level playing field" for all of the kids involved sounds good, but life is not that way.

In all species and breeds, there are people who want to win and will "buy" their winners. And then you will find those who show and have the livestock or other animals because they enjoy them and learn from them.

The boy's parents want him to be a winner and will do whatever it takes for him to win. The kid who has it given to him is really the loser because when he is an adult, it will be harder for him because he will have an unrealistic view about life.

And as we all know, Life is not always fair.

show time":ih9nvuer said:
This has been bothering me for a couple of years, I'd like to see what you all think...

There is a 4-Her in our area that hire's a jock to do all of his work (ok the parents pay). This guy travels to several states to purchase a steer and a heifer for the boy. He then keeps them at his house and breaks them out, feeds, trains hair, clips, hauls to and from shows, and does all the clipping and fitting at the shows. He does everything, the kid simply walks the calves into the ring...and not just his own calves, he also show's several for the jock and claims they are his as well. The boy is 16 and couldn't pick out a calf to save his life, can't halter break, clip, nothing! He can't even have a conversation about showing.

The other kids in the county obviously can't compete with a pro's work at a small junior show. The problem isn't w/ the boy having nice calve's that are also well fitted, I think that is great. All kids need a mentor. However, he is not learning (or doing) a thing from HIS beef project, which is the entire purpose of the 4-h program!

I have been seriously thinking about talking to the fair board to change some rules. Would you do the same or let it go? (I wouldn't rat anybody out, just make level playing fields for the other youth in the county.)
Please help me before I go off on this boy and his parents, lol!!!
I would speak up..I dont like to tattle or whistle blow, but this would annoy me, espc with the rules in 4-h regarding the CHILD doing the work!!!!!!!! at the 4-h horse shows, our parents/loeaders could only HOLD the horse while we changed or mounted..nothing else!

There are rule breakers everywhere and while the person ultimately hurt is this kid, how hard is it to explain to the OTHER children that hes breaking rules to beat them, and thats OK?

I am fine with kids having higher quality animals then others, in any disapline, but follow the rules..period!

The "Adult Support" section of the rules for our county fair state, "Let the member do the work. 4-H members must take care of their own animals at the fair. Adults will not be permitted to work on 4-H exhibits or displays unless there is a safety issue. Disqualification of the exhibit by the show superintendent, barn superintendent, leader, and Extension agent may result."

Under Showing,
" All care and fitting must be done by the 4-H member."

They have had these rules since we started, but have become more strict about them. They won't even let parents inside the stall with the animal, now, unless there is a safety issue.

showtime you will be the winner because you do your own work. You'll be able to get a job looking after cattle when you get older,whereas the other person won't have the skills and knowledge. He or she will probably tire of the hum drum of parading and preparing. Don't let it worry you. Just do your best. :banana:

I love preaching on this subject...
When i first started showing about 3 years ago(i was 14) I had about 0% support from my parents. So i decided to take matters into my own hands and i was gonna get a calf no matter what. So i hooked dads pickup to the trailer and drove to the pasture where our mommas and babies were and picked me out the one i thought was the biggest and best. Sorted her out of 50 others and loaded her BY MY SELF. took her home and unloaded her in one of our horse lots and gave her some cubes.. Washed, blowed, and took care of her daily with NOBODY HELPING ME. Which brings me to the most important part of the Story I NEVER WON A DAM THING WITH THIS HEIFER BUT I KEPT MY HEAD UP IN A HOPE FOR BETTER DAYS Last year i Save ALL of my money from wheat harvest and had a little over $2,000 in the bank and i went out and bought my FIRST "Show Steer" from a guy i know. then 2 weeks later i bought a little Sim x Angus heifer from another friend. I have experience the feeling of winning with these two and let me tell you there is NOTHING BETTER than knowing YOU got YOUR calf ready and she beat all the profesionals work....FEELS GREAT (i did go to clipping school and did learn from the very best.
When the Kids that have their parents do everything win it means nothing to them its just another piece of purple cloth with champion written on it.
My parents are behind my 100% now that i have proved myself. They travel to every show no matter how far it is and they occasionally come out to the barn and look around. I wouldn't trade places with those rich kids for anything. I do my own work and am very proud of my calves.

Snider_Angus":qr08wxlm said:
I love preaching on this subject...
When i first started showing about 3 years ago(i was 14) I had about 0% support from my parents. So i decided to take matters into my own hands and i was gonna get a calf no matter what. So i hooked dads pickup to the trailer and drove to the pasture where our mommas and babies were and picked me out the one i thought was the biggest and best. Sorted her out of 50 others and loaded her BY MY SELF. took her home and unloaded her in one of our horse lots and gave her some cubes.. Washed, blowed, and took care of her daily with NOBODY HELPING ME. Which brings me to the most important part of the Story I NEVER WON A DAM THING WITH THIS HEIFER BUT I KEPT MY HEAD UP IN A HOPE FOR BETTER DAYS Last year i Save ALL of my money from wheat harvest and had a little over $2,000 in the bank and i went out and bought my FIRST "Show Steer" from a guy i know. then 2 weeks later i bought a little Sim x Angus heifer from another friend. I have experience the feeling of winning with these two and let me tell you there is NOTHING BETTER than knowing YOU got YOUR calf ready and she beat all the profesionals work....FEELS GREAT (i did go to clipping school and did learn from the very best.
When the Kids that have their parents do everything win it means nothing to them its just another piece of purple cloth with champion written on it.
My parents are behind my 100% now that i have proved myself. They travel to every show no matter how far it is and they occasionally come out to the barn and look around. I wouldn't trade places with those rich kids for anything. I do my own work and am very proud of my calves.

:clap:

Someone should stand up and say something. Unfortunately, things will never change if no one says anything. I have seen the same things that you have described and you are right--it's not fair and it's not right. What really concerns me is that parents are allowing their children to be used as someone's pawn. What morals and values are parents teaching if they teach their child that winners can be bought? Furthermore, the main purpose in showing livestock is to teach children responsibility, decision making, and record keeping. How are these kids learning this if someone is doing everything for them? As a parent, I am vocal about this. I say something when I feel that things aren't fair. I know that speaking up is not popular and that it's easier to be quiet, but things will never change if we don't speak up.[/color]

Its truely up to you, but I have a kid at my fair that is the same way.

Parents pick out the calf, parents work the calf, feed the calf, raise the calf, the kid walks into the show rings, places supreme then walks out. It pisses me off to no end.

Parents buying $2000 steers and then doing all the work, it pisses me off!!! I pick out my own steer, or I place an order from my breeder, I pay for my own steer, i feed my own steer, I do everything myself!!! And yet Ive never won. It seems to me that when someone does the work for you, you win.. Thats a backwards society. But I always walk away with more knowledge then when i started.

If there isn't a rule about it yet, there isn't much you can do about t, but you could start getting some interest about making it a rule. We have a regional beef youth show up here, and a lot of kids had adults, even professional fitters, doing everything with the animals. A couple of years ago, they changed the rule, and now no adult is allowed to do chores, feed, bathe, or fit any animal once they are on the grounds. For the most part everyone sticks to the rule, and it has made the show a lot more fun and fair. 4-H and youth shows are supposed to be a learning experience, not just a chance to win a prize.

I always went and picked out the calves, and payed my parents what I had. I rarely feed mornings during school but I would come home and wash em and tie them up and feed at night. I would clip and fit at the smaller shows, fitters came to the bigger ones. And Daisy, I don't know where Apple Valley is but good luck touching a decent calf with that money in Texas. $2000 might get you the 3rd cousin twice removed to the breed champion at a jackpot.

Cowboy 2.0":2krqqwbh said:
$2000 might get you the 3rd cousin twice removed to the breed champion at a jackpot.
Around here a $2000 dollar calf is one at the bottom of the class.. if your saved $2000 dollars a month you might be able to get a OYE champion in 2 years. $2000 a month X 24 months = $48,000 that might get you near the top of the class but then again you might end up 6th out of 7

Snider_Angus":3kk0tt04 said:
Cowboy 2.0":3kk0tt04 said:
$2000 might get you the 3rd cousin twice removed to the breed champion at a jackpot.
Around here a $2000 dollar calf is one at the bottom of the class.. if your saved $2000 dollars a month you might be able to get a OYE champion in 2 years. $2000 a month X 24 months = $48,000 that might get you near the top of the class but then again you might end up 6th out of 7

That's what's wrong with the OYE........What are we teaching the kids? The parents with the most money win?

Jovid":1q85srcx said:
Snider_Angus":1q85srcx said:
Cowboy 2.0":1q85srcx said:

That's what's wrong with the OYE........What are we teaching the kids? The parents with the most money win?
its sad but its true.

Well I spoke at the board meeting and got the ball rolling :) Members are to come to the next meeting with other rule ideas and they will vote on them at that time. Boy I sure did get myself all sweaty for nothin, everybody seemed to agree with envorcing old rules (exhibitors show their own calves), and coming up w/ the new rules to preserve the values of the 4-H program.
I know alot of ppl said let it go, I just couldn't...and I'm glad I didn't! I expect to recieve a thicker fair book this year, lol. :clap: (if ya know what I mean)

show time":1iwq598q said:
Well I spoke at the board meeting and got the ball rolling :) Members are to come to the next meeting with other rule ideas and they will vote on them at that time. Boy I sure did get myself all sweaty for nothin, everybody seemed to agree with envorcing old rules (exhibitors show their own calves), and coming up w/ the new rules to preserve the values of the 4-H program.
I know alot of ppl said let it go, I just couldn't...and I'm glad I didn't! I expect to recieve a thicker fair book this year, lol. :clap: (if ya know what I mean)

Glad to hear it went well. Maybe some others of us can gain courage to say what needs to be said.

Around here a $2000 dollar calf is one at the bottom of the class.. if your saved $2000 dollars a month you might be able to get a OYE champion in 2 years. $2000 a month X 24 months = $48,000 that might get you near the top of the class but then again you might end up 6th out of 7[/quote]

That's what's wrong with the OYE........What are we teaching the kids? The parents with the most money win?[/quote]
its sad but its true.[/quote]

That can be fixed real quick by showing them slick sheared without all that hair. Then the less expensive calf will win more times than the ones with all that worthless hair.

Latest posts