Blow and go..

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We had a blow and go show yesterday, the first real day out with the show cattle. My two younger kids showed, the oldest stayed at college to study for finals. Both kids drug 4 head, so 8 total, which about filled up the trailer!
This is the two January yearling heifers we are showing this year. Both are embryo calves, both are bred (the one in the front is bred to Optimizer and the one behind is bred to Uno Mas). The one in front won her class, and was in the champion drive:
jh7eo0.jpg

This is the champion drive. Three of the cattle in that line up belong to my son, a September (Upgrade I have pictured, my daughter is showing her for her brother), his January, and his March calf (a friend, in pink, is showing her).
5k10u9.jpg

This is our daughter showing in showmanship. She won it, and was super happy! A brand new show halter! :)
mm37fr.jpg

My son's pair, tied to the trailer before class. They won Champion Cow/Calf Pair:
2dsid5t.jpg

The other side of the trailer, these were my daughter's heifers and bull (a little September percentage bull):
li2l0.jpg

Our son waiting for showmanship. He did really well, but did not win. It will make him try harder next time!
24e54wg.jpg

A great day for us. We took home 6 first places, two seconds, a reserve champion bull, Champion Pair, and the intermediate showmanship winner! And the kids earned $80, a cool camping chair, and a boot bag.

I for one would like to hear your thoughts as to why the first heifer beat the second one. From what I can "see" I might have picked #2. Probably because I like her top more.

3waycross":1v194tli said:
I for one would like to hear your thoughts as to why the first heifer beat the second one. From what I can "see" I might have picked #2. Probably because I like her top more.

I agree with you! The reason, which was valid, that the second heifer was placed second was because she is slightly in at her hocks. But he was picking hairs, and he said so. Also, he seemed to like them "conditioned", and the first heifer carries a little more fat on her. But these two girls switch places all the time, each judge seems to like a different one, so the kids have a competition to see which heifer will beat the other. It is fun, and the kids realize that a judge only gives his/her opinion on that day, and that the next day might be completely different!

Like I sadi based on what I can see. Actually a little in at the hocks is not a deal breaker for me. So I would probably have picked her anyway.

In that picture at least she just seems to be a little classier. Like when you have a pen full of heifers milling amd every time you se one you like it's always the same one.LOL