Should I use Gar Prophet?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I have a cow who had her first calf and judging from her epds she could use a little more milk.
She is a DHD Traveler 6807 out of a BCC Bushwacker cow.
I have some Gar Prophet and haven't had a chance to use him.
I like his docility, milk and marbling.
Would you use him? I also have Coleman Charlo and Var Discovery that I could use but I have wanted to use Prophet.
Does Prophet have good feet?

I haven't had any dealings with Prophet, but have seen some bulls and calves by him that I thought looked pretty good. Have heard several folks say they like the calves they have had out of him. I would think that he should work well with the pedigree of that cow.

I have used GAR Prophet, his calves grow very well. I had 2 GAR Prophet heifers calve last year with Sydgen Black Pearl bull calves and they weaned near the top of my bull calves, I was very impressed with the job they did on their calves and am hoping for some more heifers by him to retain this year. I am sure he will add milk to your cow. I have not had any feet issues with his progeny. He will add a bit of frame to them as well.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback. There are so many bulls out there and I wish I had enough cows to try a lot more.

If you like frame and docility I would not use charlo. His calves just grow tho and his females do make good cows. But in my experience they can be rank and alittle on the short side which neither bother me. I have used and bought discovery. I no longer have any they are not for me. Prophet is ok. Calves are easy to market . Grow well until weaning then slack off. He throws white at times. And his females are ok. So it really depends on what you want

Seen alot of pretty good Prophet cattle, havent seen many bad ones.. He will throw some white. Probably a bull that would do alot of people some good.

Hogtiming,
What turned you off of Discovery? I like his son with ABS, EZAR Gold Rush.
It seems that his brother Deer Valley All In has cooled off, but I have a really nice bull calf out of him.
I think Raindance may steal Charlo's thunder.

Jscunn,
Thanks for the info. The white will rule out some choices for him.

Airgator. Discovery just isn't my type. To fraile for me. Not as bad as all in but fraile to me. Raindance has sold a lot of semen. I wonder if he will have more frame than charlo?

I have a lot of Prophet daughters.

I wouldn't use him again. I think his milk is too hard on younger cows. It could be his extreme DMI. Those that made it to 4 year olds are great but I lost a lot on the way. He's a hard doer.

He adds white to most calves too. That wasn't an issue for my commercial herd.

Yes. I have had some Prophet semen in the tank for a while but have been afraid to use him.
I have seen reports on here that his calves are tough on heifers even though his CED epd makes him look like a heifer bull.
I think that's why a bull like Hoover Dam is so popular...pretty good milk but not over the top.

I tend to breed the entire herd to one bull AI for a couple years.

So I have large groups of daughters from a handful of bulls.

My Deer Valley All In daughters didn't have any problems at all on over 90 births so far.

That's not the case on my Prophet daughters.

That's CEM more than CED though.

I've seen some bad feet on Prophet calves.. May do just fine on your cow but I haven't cared much for the ones I have see ..

Virginia,
I have a beautiful Deer Valley All In bull calf about 4 months old now.
Have you had any problems with bad feet?
You really don't hear much about All In now but it's hard for me not to like him.

Air gator":2gt01qez said:
Virginia,
I have a beautiful Deer Valley All In bull calf about 4 months old now.
Have you had any problems with bad feet?
You really don't hear much about All In now but it's hard for me not to like him.

My cows never really have foot issues. I've always been perplexed by those that focus on that.

My bulls will get foot problems more frequently. I did have one cow that kept a limp for years. Other than those, a cow will injure her foot, limp 2 weeks, then recover. I keep them around 13 years and their feet are of little concern.

It isn't a beauty pageant on my farm. You do the job or you don't. I can tell they don't always look like the diagrams say they should.

Maybe that will all change since I've said it's no big deal.

QH Manning out of a 4yo Prophet dam. I have another from this cross that ended up with the same amount of white.

Mostly testing the picture upload but have had little success.

I got an eagerly awaited Prophet heifer calf today, it will probably be my last Prophet calf, I have used him for 4 years now. 2 of my 1st 2 Prophet heifers just had their 2nd calf, it is the middle of winter here and yes they are doing it a bit tough but they weaned phenominal bull calves and went back into calf on cue so we will see how they do this time, I am sure they will do OK.

Ken

Wbvs58,
I think with any bull you have to match him with the right cow.
If I need to add frame and milk then I will use him...but I don't think I would use him on a heifer.
I think he is one of the oldest bulls in the top 25 Angus bulls by registrations so he has to have quality calves.

Air gator":7m0r3yd3 said:
Wbvs58,
I think with any bull you have to match him with the right cow.
If I need to add frame and milk then I will use him...but I don't think I would use him on a heifer.
I think he is one of the oldest bulls in the top 25 Angus bulls by registrations so he has to have quality calves.

Yes I agree, I have used him on heifers in the past and they have been bigger and a bit tougher calvings than I would have liked and not like his numbers would have suggested. The cow that calved yesterday was on her 5th calf and I weighed the heifer this morning at 38.5kg which is fine for me but I have had heifers with Prophet calves up around 45kg. Maybe in the cow herd where they are left to their own devices to survive the BW is acceptable but when I give my heifers a bit of support the calf takes it all and grows. The certainly grow well on mum"s milk so maybe they respond likewise in the womb to a bit of nutrition as well.

Ken

Virginia Cattle,
Thanks for the info. Nice calf.
I think he will be pretty nice when he's full grown.

Latest posts