Should I have colostrum on hand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Katie

Reaction score
I had a heifer calve April 12th and another due anyday I noticed the calf sucking on the one due anyday and she let him. I now have them seperated but should I have some colostrum on hand for her calf or should it be okay. Her bag looks like it stayed the same when he sucked didn't go down and doesn't feel up and look engorged from him not sucking so I am not sure if he got anything.

How much did he suck on her? Was it a one time deal or was it everday? Thats the problem with heifers. They are absolutly retarted when it coems to knwoing which one is their calf. I have seen 2 calves sucking on one heifer at the sametime and she just stood there. Thats why it seems that heifers loose so much weight during their first calf casue they let anything suck on them.

Well I think he did several times. I thought she wouldn't letting him because I watched and when he would come up to her side to nurse she was pushing him away, but he got sneaky and started sucking from behind her and she would let him then.

I guess it wouldn't hurt but she might still have some colostrum left depending on how much the calf got if any. I would have some on hand and wait and see how the calf does. I wouldn't think there would be a problem unless he has a rough start when he is born.

i would have a bag of good quality powder colosrtum on had at any time during the calving season. Just never know when a problem might come up. If it has less than 100 grams of Immugloblulins you will need more doses.
By the way they come in single dose packages
When this heifer calves give it some. The cow will have nothing good left in the way of antibodies.
Colostrum, powder or fresh, works best 0-6 hours after being born with second feeding within the twelve hour mark. After 18-24 hours the absoprtion of colostrum is very little if nothing at all. Total amount is 2% of its body weight.

A calf is born with zero immunity. It gets it immunity from the colostrum. This is why timely ingestion is so important, as well as a relatively stress free birth and mothering up.

Latest posts