Should I give colostrum?

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
Okay, here is the situation. 2-year old Heifer just gave birth 3 hours ago to nice looking calf. Being a heifer, she was hesitant at first to let it nurse, (I was watching from a distance) but finally she figured it out and I saw the calf nursing. In fact, I was close enough to hear the slurping. But, heifer doesn't look like she has much of a bag, and I didn't see any milk on the nose of the calf. Now, calf and mom are resting. Things look and feel okay, but iam just wondering if I should intervene and give some colostrum. Any thoughts folks? Thanks.

Marty

PS It's been a while since I have been here, meaning I have had no issues with my little herd for several years.

If you heard slurping and saw nursing Id be inclined to say leave well enough alone
And ive never sern milk on the nose of a nursing calf.

Watch to see if the calf poops, that's usully the best sign. If the calf isn;t sunk in at the sides in the rear that's also a good sign. The size of the bag is rarely a good indicator of adequate milk.

Thanks for confirming my gut. Will keep an eye on them for the next couple of hours, and decide before it gets dark.

Things look okay out there, no distress. Here is a pic.

20111211135812.jpg

Carnivore, also keep an eye on her udder and you can usually see if the calf has nursed a quarter or two.

I'm always relieved to see them pee, poop and play! If they've got energy to bounce around, I'm usually convinced they're doing okay -- but that might not be until tomorrow!

Congratulations!

Thanks for everyone's concern and tips. It has been five years since I had a heifer calve out, and so forgot things aren't necessarily easy for that first-time mommy. But, she has a good mother, and seems to be a good mother herself. Turned out to be a heifer calf, and seems very strong and as healthy as the rest of the calves I have had over the years. So, I figured mom was getting the job done, (as calf seemed to be in no distress, not bawling nor trying to get more food) so expect things are just fine. It's cold tonight, but have some fresh hay on the ground for feed and sleeping in for the calf. Will report back tomorrow. Maybe with a day old pic.

dun":1x34h7fj said:
Watch to see if the calf poops, that's usully the best sign. If the calf isn;t sunk in at the sides in the rear that's also a good sign. The size of the bag is rarely a good indicator of adequate milk.

Here is a pic. of calf pooping yellow mustard colored poop. 28 hours after birth. Okay?

20111212154730.jpg

Carnivore":qywy8u2y said:
dun":qywy8u2y said:

Here is a pic. of calf pooping yellow mustard colored poop. 28 hours after birth. Okay?

20111212154730.jpg
Bingo, you have a winner.

another sign of not enough milk is when a calf seems to nurse all the time. Never seeming satisfied. Add to it constantly changing teats. Going from one to another right away and constant bag bunting

She is looking pretty good today, and the bag appears a little bigger. Looks like everything is normal. I now remember why we haven't bred any heifers for a while.

And, since we all like pictures... here is one of my 2 month old bull calf. He is really growing big and solid.

20111214114500.jpg

Glad the new calf is doing well for you! In a few days, those two will be zooming around the pasture together, the most wonderful thing to watch!

Yes Gale, it is. The little bull calf has been so lonely, with only big-uns to pal around with. I find the coloration very interesting. Mom and dad are both as red as can be, with a little white on the belly of the mom. Then, the calf comes out Swiss chocolate color. Probably the prettiest calf I have every had. I might see of a local 4-H girl wants her when she is old enough to wean. She would surely do well at the fair.

Latest posts