Should I fertilize

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
My friend is fertilizing his place this week, we have a good chance of rain. I hate fertilizing around this time but I have grazed my pasture pretty hard and my friend said he had time to do my place at only the fert cost. Will this fert help boost my bermuda this late in season or am I better off just hitting it in spring? Also he is gonna buy 13-13-13 if it makes any difference.

Its to hot if you ask me. I would do it in the spring. Get a soil test. Judging by your location your soil is probably black. If so you may not need any Potash. Your Bermuda would green up and grow some with a rain, but if you miss the rain you are not going to get much benefit from it at all.

I agree with getting the soil test but there is no way to get the results by the week end.
If you get the rain then, in my opinion, fall is the best time for application of P an K as it takes time to work into the soil and be available to the plants. Also the N will be good for the fall growth maybe leaving some stockpiled forage. The winter grasses will also see some benefit. Fall application will also aid next spring when the warm season grasses come in.

Soil test. 13 13 13makes very little sense to me personally. You are adding something you may or may not need. You could be light in N P or K. When you send samples in, be sure to tell them which variety of grass you have.

backhoeboogie":1yag7eul said:
Soil test. 13 13 13makes very little sense to me personally. You are adding something you may or may not need. You could be light in N P or K. When you send samples in, be sure to tell them which variety of grass you have.
I cincur. At the minimum you could get one of those soil test kit things from lowes and try that.

Latest posts