Should I buy ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Found a bred cow and a heifer for sale. Wanted opinions. I am still learning. Cow aaa# 18738825 she is confirmed bred to bull aaa# 18738825, also heifer # 19453382. Price is $2,500 on bred cow, $5,000 on heifer. Thanks.

First off, your registration #'s for cow and bull are the same

Second, from the look of things, he's putting a premium on $B which would be the last place I look at, not the first. If that's your thing, have at it.

I'd start with a picture first, then pedigree and EPD's.

Why are these two for sale? Did he put them up for sale or did you pick them out of a group/herd?

You'd be a lot better off finding some embryos and recips than putting all those chips into a $5k heifer

Aside from the fact that a significant number of heifers don't make it as a cow, it just seems to me paying $5000 for a heifer is like getting in at the bottom of an immense pyramid scheme.

Richnm said:
Cow is 18599090
A 2nd calf Ten X daughter turning 4 yrs old in January from an Upward daughter going on 9.
Seller purchased her from the breeder and appears he might be disappointed with her to be
selling her after just 2 calves.

$5,000 for a 10 month old heifer with a good, but nothing special pedigree seems unjustly proud.
Unless both she and her 6 yr old dam knocked my socks off, I'd pass.

I'd sell you 4 good bred heifers for that same total price. Apparently someone missed the memo as to where we are in the price cycle.

Just because something is registered it doesn't necessarily make them any better then there commercial counter parts. If it were me I'd be looking at buying registered cattle for as close to commercial prices as you can find. It doesn't hurt as much when you miss.

The heifer has some good numbers if that's what you're looking at. Very good numbers for marbling and rib eye. What is your plan with this heifer - are you going to breed her or are you looking to make this a donor and flush embryos? Heifer is over 200 on dollar beef and with the right bull semen, you could possibly make the $5K back and then some easily. However, I don't know your mindset or operation so I would heed the others advice here. Find out more on these cattle and by all means, get a picture or look at the in person. That is a lot of money for cattle if you're intentions are to just turn out in pasture as common cattle.

Richnm said:
The cow has a bull calf on her not registered yet. So 3rd calf .
The cow was born in 2016... so not bred until 2017
She then calved in 2018 making her a 1st calf heifer.
Calved in 2019 with her 2nd calf (which is at her side) making her a 2nd calf cow
bred to calve next year.

Seems odd that he went out and bought her and now after only her 2nd calf wants to sell her.
He might just be advertising her for $2500 and hoping someone will pay more than she's worth.

He is a customer of mine. He also bred 3f Epic (gulp). He recommended flushing heifers embryos and putting them in my commercial cows.

IF that is such a good idea...
how about he flushes the heifer and you buy a couple of the embryos?
That way he gets to keep his prized $5,000 heifer.

But, I'd rather buy embryos from a proven cow than an unproven heifer.
If you follow the seller's advice to buy his heifer and flush her and she turns out to be a dud,
where does that leave you?

Latest posts