Shorty/Angus cross calf

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
So the past 2 years this cow has had black calves with heavy roaming in them. Last years even had a white tail! Now this year she had a calf out of the same bull as last year and its all black! Not any white that I could see on it! Why would she go from having calves with heavy Shorty coloring to now pitch black? Last year all the baldies had blady calves and this year all black from them too? Does the bulls black genes get stronger with age? Sorry if I am confusing u with this question!

It's hard to tell what you'll get with shorty influence.. I have several full sisters where one is solid red and the other is a real shorthorn roan.. Black is dominant over red, but the roan gene can throw a curveball into the patterns

I have a roan shorthorn here, it's a 50% chance she will have a roan calf and a 50% chance she'll have a solid calf. As for baldy cows, they're heterozygous for white face gene. It means 50% chance they'll have a baldy calf and a 50% chance they'll have a solid calf.

That said there is a chance that a black calf can be roan at older age. Happened to my friend, she had a coal black calf at birth but it went blue at 6 months old.

So the only white on this calf was on his genitals! Lol! But those will fall off soon. But we do expect him to change color as he grows.

holm25":1usnjjta said:
So the only white on this calf was on his genitals! Lol! But those will fall off soon. But we do expect him to change color as he grows.
Most unlikely he will change the colors.

Muddy":1okr1v2o said:
I have a roan shorthorn here, it's a 50% chance she will have a roan calf and a 50% chance she'll have a solid calf. As for baldy cows, they're heterozygous for white face gene. It means 50% chance they'll have a baldy calf and a 50% chance they'll have a solid calf.

That said there is a chance that a black calf can be roan at older age. Happened to my friend, she had a coal black calf at birth but it went blue at 6 months old.
Wouldn't that depend on the bull used? That sounds like the probability when bred to a solid bull.. When bred to a hetero WF bull, the odds of a hetero-WF calf are 50%, no WF 25%, and homo-WF 25% (however that looks)

Latest posts