Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1xzysdfw said:
Thanks. The only SHorthorn bull I've been able to find thqat isn't all crossed up with maine of chi is Muridale Buster 14K.
What size does their cattle run? Are these those 7 frame monsters or something more moderate that won;t generate a herd of giants?

Thanks

dun

Not to change the subject Dun, but do you raise some shorthorns? I been wanting a nice colored shorthorn heifer for my daughter. She likes them with some color to them.

aplusmnt":po889jlg said:
Not to change the subject Dun, but do you raise some shorthorns?

Nope, had them years ago before they screwed them up with all of the club calf crapola and would just like to get a little bit back into the crossbreeding rotation.

dun

dun":1jjqnnqs said:
Thanks. The only SHorthorn bull I've been able to find thqat isn't all crossed up with maine of chi is Muridale Buster 14K.
What size does their cattle run? Are these those 7 frame monsters or something more moderate that won;t generate a herd of giants?

Alta Cedar Ultimate 130K is another decent pure bull whose semen is available in the US.

Muridale's website is here:
http://www.muridale.com/

The website doesn't give any weights, but I'm not seeing anything on there that looks much heavier than 1400 lbs or so. They've got some nice looking cows on the website with good bags and lots of volume.

Rod

dun":mzlrg1as said:
aplusmnt":mzlrg1as said:
Not to change the subject Dun, but do you raise some shorthorns?

Nope, had them years ago before they screwed them up with all of the club calf crapola and would just like to get a little bit back into the crossbreeding rotation.

dun

Can you get enough growth when using shorthorn for terminal calves?

DiamondSCattleCo":1qr51au5 said:
dun":1qr51au5 said:

Alta Cedar Ultimate 130K is another decent pure bull whose semen is available in the US.

The website doesn't give any weights, but I'm not seeing anything on there that looks much heavier than 1400 lbs or so. They've got some nice looking cows on the website with good bags and lots of volume.

Rod

Who carrys his semen?

dun

aplusmnt":1lpwhnn3 said:
Can you get enough growth when using shorthorn for terminal calves?

Its going to depend on your cows. I've got some Angus/Simm cows here whose Shorthorn bred calves are growing with the best of them (currently in the 900 lb range, growing 3.5 lbs/day on free choice hay and 8 lbs of whole oats). My Angus/Shorthorn cross calves are performing almost as good as my 3-way crosses. And this is using my maternal Shorthorn herd sire, not a high gaining terminal bull.

Edit: I should have said this, but I've seen Shorthorn cross very well with Angus, Simm, Maine, and Longhorns. I've never seen a Char/Shortie cross, but see no reason why it wouldn't work every bit as good as another Brit animal.

Rod

dun":6p8kc30q said:
DiamondSCattleCo":6p8kc30q said:
dun":6p8kc30q said:

Rod

Who carrys his semen?

dun

Muridale also owns Ultimate and they have his semen listed as exportable.

Rod

I saw 2 or 3 females on that site that looked decent, that herd bull looks badly in need of grain - 150 Springfield 30-06. He's awful. Maybe they've got some good ones, but the website doesn't show it.

KMacGinley":2y356cy8 said:
Purecountry: Which bull do you mean?

On the right hand side of their Home Page, there's a pic of the head of a bull, and it says 'Herdsire Power'. If you click on it, prepare yourself.

Like I said, if they have good cattle as you say, then their website doesn't show it.

Are you sure we're looking at the same bull friend? His name is Wolf Ridge Pioneer 41something. His condition has nothing to do with it, and he's obviously not in his working clothes, since he's got mud and tag halfway up his @$$. He drops from hook to pin like an old sheepdog, pinches up in the heart girth, and comes up way too high in the flank. He's in good condition alright, where the problem lies is in his SHAPE.

And don't be offended by my critique of the bull, even if he's yours! It's not like I'm talking about someone's child, it's just a bull. They are what they are, and we all as cattlemen and women need to strive to use the best and cut the rest. ;-)

He is not my bull, I raise Angus, but he does belong to a friend of mine and although I am not a shorthorn guy, I would be proud to own him or even better some of his progeny. The proof of any animal is his ability to produce dynamic progeny and for shorthorns these do the job. The thread was asking about good performing purebred Shorthorns, that have not been crossed up, Kapers have them.

Fair enough. It's at least commendable that they're keeping their program free of Mangey Jubes...I mean, um, Maine-Anjou.lol

I never did quite understand the logic of them selling out and opening up the book to other breeds. It shows a lack of charactor, they should have improved the breed from within. Some people say that they are doing openly what the Angus and Hereford guys did under the table though.

Its definitely NOT something that everyone is overly crazy about, but its not really a huge deal either. It takes 255/256 ancestors to be pure before an animal will be allowed to move from the appendix to the closed registry. While I am of the belief that appendix animals should NEVER be allowed to move over, having 255 pure ancestors arguably means that whatever inferior breed ( ;-) ) was allowed into the tree is likely so watered down as to not be noticeable anyway.

And before anyone hammers me over the inferior comment, it was just a joke :)

Rod

I disagree with you Rod about the following (having 255 pure ancestors arguably means that whatever inferior breed ( ) was allowed into the tree is likely so watered down as to not be noticeable anyway.)
My example would be if that animal that was introduced into Shorthorn, had a defect like TH it would be in there for a very long time as we are finding out.
Even if an animal was 255/256 I believe TH would still be present, but I maybe wrong.

Coyote:

If I remember my old genetics right, the chance of a carrier being there at the level being discussed is 0.39%.

In other words, if we have 1,000 animals from that sort of system, there would be 4 carriers.

mtnman