Shorthorn Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

We raise registered Shorthorns that work for commercial guys. Some go back to asterisk carriers (appendix derived). Once the individual animal no longer carries a asterisk with the American Shorthorn Association, it has attained 131/132nds purity.

What price would a person expect to pay for a good shorthorn heifer??????Just in general fullblood/pure blood????

well i paid 3,000 for my shorthorn but shes for shows and stuff. i dont know maybe thats just the prices around here. the guy is real popular and has his breeding and name built up really good so people will pay that much for one of his heifers. it mainly just depends on the breeder and breeding.

I have 3 pure shorthorn cows and one heifer, I breed two of the cows to a red angus bull, and one back to a pure shorthorn bull, buy way of "AI" and I will be breeding the heifer this year with a shorthorn bull as well. I been debating wetter to keep them pure or not but my family talked me in to crossing them to angus? Hope I did good I'm new at this but we will see. :)

M.Sarria":1xyzkavd said:
I have 3 pure shorthorn cows and one heifer, I breed two of the cows to a red angus bull, and one back to a pure shorthorn bull, buy way of "AI" and I will be breeding the heifer this year with a shorthorn bull as well. I been debating wetter to keep them pure or not but my family talked me in to crossing them to angus? Hope I did good I'm new at this but we will see. :)

M. Sarria- I think you'll do fine with crossing with the Red Angus. The breeds seem very complimentary. You'll get to see the benefits of heterosis first hand!

About 1/4 of my herd is registered shorthorn. We breed for function and show ability. (around here, competition isnt killer, so we are not very show-minded.)

I agree with a few of you. I like the apendix shorthorns! I think that it gets those nice looking shorthorn cross calves out of the commercial pen and away from those extreame club show heifers that would fall apart in the pasture. (JMO)

alftn-Prices differ wherever you go and what your looking for. Registered pasture-ready shorthorn around here usually go for under $2,000. County Fair (4-h) show quality heifers- $2,000-5,000. And then the high end show winners for 6,000-however much you wanna pay.(usaully shows top at $10,000 for us)

We raise a few registered Shorthorn a few registered Simmentals and a few Commercial crosses of the two. On the deal of appendix. We have a few appendix shorthorns that were bred up off of some of my one of my grandads old brindle wood cows. I stay away from breeding show bloodlines, two much hair, too much Maine influence, and not enough growth.
The key to any breed up or Appendix program is to reach purebred status by upgrading cattle. The key is to use a good producing female to breed up off of. There are quite a few nice shorthorn cattle with the asterix.

phillse":7ifqsyiw said:
We raise a few registered Shorthorn a few registered Simmentals and a few Commercial crosses of the two. On the deal of appendix. We have a few appendix shorthorns that were bred up off of some of my one of my grandads old brindle wood cows. I stay away from breeding show bloodlines, two much hair, too much Maine influence, and not enough growth.
The key to any breed up or Appendix program is to reach purebred status by upgrading cattle. The key is to use a good producing female to breed up off of. There are quite a few nice shorthorn cattle with the asterix.

The Red Angus association allows breeding up also. But anything that is bred up carries the 1B designation meaning it's not pure Angus, those are denoted as 1A.

dun

Latest posts