Short on Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

been really mild temp wise here. maybe 4 nights total below freezing and that was in Dec or early Jan.
But.....lots of days and nights in the mid-upper 30s and 40s with rain, drizzle, mist and/or fog coupled with a never ending low overcast gray cloud cover.
Doing good on hay and there is green grass in the pastures showing up. The new calves are growing, so mommas are making milk.
One of the easiest winters I've had.
The ground is soft, but not nearly as muddy as I see other folks' places. Worst is in the gateways but I've seen that lots worse in past years too.

I don't know what kind of grass this is actually called but we call it spring grass and it's up all over the pastures and in my yard. Mostly water, but the cows eat it like candy.

If it were dry enough not to leave ruts or get stuck, I really should mow my lawn this week.

Mowed mine Tuesday. Had several good work days over the last week. Put a slave cylinder on one tractor and a starter on another. Burned some brush piles yesterday. Over cast and drizzling today. Haven't had much rain as precipitation goes this month. Just a lot of damp humid days.

greybeard said:
I don't know what kind of grass this is actually called but we call it spring grass and it's up all over the pastures and in my yard. Mostly water, but the cows eat it like candy.

If it were dry enough not to leave ruts or get stuck, I really should mow my lawn this week.

You won't find that here!
We have couple more nights frost predicted in a few days.

Caustic Burno said:
greybeard said:

You won't find that here!
We have couple more nights frost predicted in a few days.
You have any idea what the real name of that grass is? 8-12 inches is about as tall as it ever gets, but it's thick as can be.

The Rescue grass I know about has a lot bigger seedhead on it. That Rescue grass seedhead looks like this:
130519bs.jpg

Mine has little bitty seeds about the size of common bermuda but shaped differently.

Looks like annual bluegrass but I haven't seen it get that tall

https://www.google.com/search?q=annual+bluegrass&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS817US817&oq=annual+bluegrass&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.9196j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=3vIGZOmUCv46_M:

I have it pretty bad in parts of my yard.

I'll buy twice as much rolled hay this year and I'm
Probably gonna try and pick up 300 good square bales to put up for when all the horse people around here wait till last minute again there was people paying $12 a square here this year for $3 hay

Latest posts