Short on Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Folks I know in Texas that never have to worry about hay have been driving 75-100 miles one way to get some decent hay for $100 a roll. Talked to a man yesterday that has 600 acres of irrigated hay fields and gets 5 cuttings a year. Said he's been out for months. Looking like an early spring though.

I am going to make it but I went through about 6 rolls per cow.
Normal is four for me, winter pasture didn't make well standing in water.
Very wet year, rain and 40 degrees cows never leave the rack.

If you had 1000 bales in a shed here, you could go on vacation for the rest of the year. That being said, some people aren't too on the ball and are selling it for no more than usual. As far as I am concerned, any hay is double normal value this year. Supply just is not there. Really makes people think whether or not the 4 leggers are worth it. If nothing else, soak it to the horsie ladies - they are coming from 250+ miles away to buy the little hay available here - money is no object for their horse fetish.

I've got plenty for myself and am starting to sell off a little excess. Starting to crunch numbers for how much I've used so far and how much I'll need to get thru the end of May and selling off some extra.

I am running close, too close not to buy some I found. I bought 30 bales of 5x5-1/2 for $50/bale. I had counted at the end of the year and thought I had enough to get me to mid April, but with the rain and some cold snaps I had enough to get to maybe mid March. I had talked with a guy back in Jan about some 5x5's for 35. I called back last week, gone.

I have my fingers crossed that I'll make it as I have four 5x6 bales left and a little over one out in the rings. The cows are spending lots of time in the pasture now as the spring grass is coming in. Not much value to it but it helps keep their bellys full and I have plenty of liquid feed in the tank, and they visit it often. I'll need one of those bales to put out for the yearlings here at the house tho.

I bought plenty in the summer and I've been selling it to folks that didn't have enough. I was in their spot last winter so I'm not hitting their check book too hard.

Depending on what a years worth of feeding looks like, I've got over a years worth in the barn based on a normal years feeding. Put 119 rolls in the barn and took 149 out so far. The way it's looking I suspect I'm just about done feeding.

Caustic Burno said:

Early freeze and armyworms got me.

1982vett said:
Caustic Burno said:

Early freeze and armyworms got me.

All the above are in play here. It appears we'll squeak by this year by the grace of God....and limiting the amount of time the girls have access to the hay each day.

Plenty of moisture and mild temps oats did better than I can ever remember . I'm gonna come out with over a hundred rolls left. Im thinking of feeding during spring while I try to get some improved pasture in. I'm tired of the mud, but it's been a good winter for us.

Named'em Tamed'em said:
I picked up 8 round bales today $30 apiece. Looked clean and green. The guy had a barn full!

I'm astounded when I see hay prices out east. I get rounds as well for $30 (we probabluy live real close) and big squares for $55.

CreekAngus said:
Named'em Tamed'em said:
I picked up 8 round bales today $30 apiece. Looked clean and green. The guy had a barn full!

I'm astounded when I see hay prices out east. I get rounds as well for $30 (we probabluy live real close) and big squares for $55.

I'm in Kitsap county, and you! :tiphat:
I normally haul 3x4 bales of Alfalfa out of E. Wa.

Named'em Tamed'em said:
CreekAngus said:
Named'em Tamed'em said:

I'm in Kitsap county, and you! :tiphat:
I normally haul 3x4 bales of Alfalfa out of E. Wa.

Neighbor must be running a bit short on hay. He bought 5 or 6 semi loads of 3x4. There aren't a lot of ads of hay for sale in the Capital Press so they are getting the supply sold down. He said it is funny how this time of the year all the hay growers think they have the last bale in the world.

Latest posts