Shooting turtles

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Went fishing this morning and kept seeing turtle heads pop up in the pond. Went back to the house and got my 38 Special. I hit the 1st one missed the second for sure and maybe got the 3rd one. At one point when I was standing there waiting for one to pop up I saw bubbles then in a minute there he was. I started to ease the gun up and back under the water he went before I could get him. I found out I need more practice shooting.

Anybody have any luck shooting turtles? Is there some sort of technique to it?

Canadian_Cowgirl":2gheezf4 said:
Why would you shoot turtles? :? :? :?

Katy

If you have fish on a stringer, the turtles eat them. You have to use a cage or basket. If you have fish in a stock tank, the turtle eat them as well.

We put a perch trap in a stock tank to catch some perch for trotline bait. When we pulled the trap, there were over 4 dozen turtles in it - and no bait. On public water you have to maintain a smaller opening and turtles can't enter. But they will sure as heck steal all the bait off of trot lines and eat any fish on stringers. You have to use a fish cage to protect your fish and it takes a big cage to house 40 pound flat heads. I hate turtles.

Rather shoot them with my 6MM PPC. Get back up on the bank 100 or so yards on a good sturdy shootin bench.

When you hit them just right the head goes straight up in the air. :shock:

I've got an old Martini target rifle that shoots Remington Yellow Jackets like it's target ammo. Works great for popping snapper heads.

I love shooting turtles. Sometimes the ponds will be full of em. Me and a buddy shot two bricks of 22's in one afternoon in one pond.

Game and Fish passed law a few years back that we can,t shoot turtles an snakes.

Canadian_Cowgirl":1y658bm6 said:
curtis":1y658bm6 said:
Game and Fish passed law a few years back that we can,t shoot turtles an snakes.

Good!! Turtles are cool!!!
Not so cool when they eat the fish you stock in your ponds or when they eat or main the ducks your trying to raise. Ever encountered an alligator snapping turtle?

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":e7dafckj said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":e7dafckj said:
curtis":e7dafckj said:

Good!! Turtles are cool!!!
Not so cool when they eat the fish you stock in your ponds or when they eat or main the ducks your trying to raise. Ever encountered an alligator snapping turtle?

Well i dont have to worry about that because we dont have fish in our ponds, or ducks, nope never alligator snapping turtles, but aligators and snapping turtles yes.

Katy

I saw an Alligator Turtle crossing the road yesterday. That thing was humongous. I had to look twice to see that it wasn't an alligator. Walked just like one.

Was that state wide or just on certain waters? Cause thats my summer target practice, not that it is going to be enforced anyway. I hate turtles unless there flyin about 100 miles an hour as they come out of the disc mower :) :lol:

Latest posts