Shooting Houses

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I was online looking at designs for shooting houses for me to build in the spring for next deer season and found this website I will list below. I like the designs. My shooting house is on the ground I will make my shooting houses " 2 of them " 1 4x6 or 4x8 in which I will use when I want to take the kids/wife with me and I will probably use the 4 or 5 foot of lets for it. The 4x4 I may use 7 foot legs on it. I just wonder how long the skids should be to avoid it geting blown over by wind. If I were putting it in ground with cement it wouldnt matter. I just want to be able to move them around.

http://brownhillfarm.net/Deer-Hunting-Shooting-Houses

I would use screw in house trailer anchors. 4 total, 2 side by side on each skid. Ratchet strap to them.

Bigfoot":3cvcwjfc said:
I would use screw in house trailer anchors. 4 total, 2 side by side on each skid. Ratchet strap to them.

Great point... I don't want to be up in there and take a tumble with a gust of wind. I figured I would make them lighter by not building a platform then framing it like a house and just use less wood by keeping full length of the 4x4 throughout the blind and just screw 2x4 framing to it then screw plywood to it however I am not gonna use waferboard like the guy on the site does.

Cover in conveyer belt. Even makes a good roof. Ultra quit when you move, or the kids bump it.

Bigfoot":jq3dj6h0 said:
Cover in conveyer belt. Even makes a good roof. Ultra quit when you move, or the kids bump it.

Thanks good tip. Do you think the blue 4x8 sheets of insulation that you put on under siding would be good to put on the floor incase something falls ?

Put a buddy heater in it, and you can hunt "commando". Maybe even borrow isom's chaps.

lmao... Yea, I was gonna put the insulation around the walls so figured it could double as floor covering too. I don't know about the chaps but the heaters a great idea lol

I have the wood cut for one, I haven't assembled it yet. Building it for the same reason, kids and nephew.

I went economical and what I hope will still be adequate, and last. It may be a failure and I may be crazy, but I am building a frame and screwing tin panels on the sides and roof. Plan on flip up and down windows vs slide- sliding makes too much noise and can catch. Each window will have a wood frame of 1x2. I will use that foam sealant around the corrugated parts where I need it. I just put in wood floor at the house and have some insulation I will tack to the walls to reduce sound, and lay on the floor.

I plan to set it on a small trailer so that it is mobile.

Or I may just do this:

images

CF i would opt for option # 2 :lol: I plan on just using the posts and attaching 2x6 top of post and about 6 feet up and basically building it like a deck flooring. I also was going to use 1x2 firring strips as the window but put felt material all around the 1x2 and having some plexiglass windows cut so that it will slide freely and quietly and not have the plexiglass so tight between the top and bottom and leave 1/4 space so if it does get caught all you gotta do is lift up slightly and it will slide. Do you know what im saying if not I will try to figure out how to draw it and post it.

We have a couple of condo's that the kids and old folks hunt out of. But we have run power under ground to them. A small electric heater will keep a 4x8x6' box warm down into the 20's. We have no insulation, but the floor has carpet and the outside has different colors of shingles nailed on PT plywood and it looks great. I also put a meal roof on it. I bought single pane slide up windows and they work great, just took the screens off. But the best part is the ladder up to the condo. We built it on about a 45 degree angle to the porch, with good handrails. The stand is the best thing we have done for my Dad and the grandkids, they are out in there all the time hunting and playing cards.

highgrit":2lrxg1tm said:
We have a couple of condo's that the kids and old folks hunt out of. But we have run power under ground to them. A small electric heater will keep a 4x8x6' box warm down into the 20's. We have no insulation, but the floor has carpet and the outside has different colors of shingles nailed on PT plywood and it looks great. I also put a meal roof on it. I bought single pane slide up windows and they work great, just took the screens off. But the best part is the ladder up to the condo. We built it on about a 45 degree angle to the porch, with good handrails. The stand is the best thing we have done for my Dad and the grandkids, they are out in there all the time hunting and playing cards.

I built a 8x4 for the grandkids put a Mr Buddy in it they love to hunt in it.

While printing off the pics on the house i kept looking and noticed they were almost all made out of waterboard sides but they were painted. How long do yall think waferboard sides would last if they were painted then sprayed with water proofer ? I want to use atleast 3/8 inch plywood not the waferboard on the portable units. What is yalls opinion on which to use ? the waferboard is 7.15 per 4'x8' sheet is why i think he builds his out of it. I could build 20 out of waferboard or 5 nice ones out of plywood probably for the same money.

skyhightree1":7fzc11de said:
While printing off the pics on the house i kept looking and noticed they were almost all made out of waterboard sides but they were painted. How long do yall think waferboard sides would last if they were painted then sprayed with water proofer ? I want to use atleast 3/8 inch plywood not the waferboard on the portable units. What is yalls opinion on which to use ? the waferboard is 7.15 per 4'x8' sheet is why i think he builds his out of it. I could build 20 out of waferboard or 5 nice ones out of plywood probably for the same money.
Istarted with it then switched to CDX 3/8 plywood. I build mine framed like a house, build the roof and walls in sections. I build the whole thing less the roll roofing in the shop then disassemble it, take it to the site, punch the holes for the legs in the ground then hoist the floor up and screw it together a piece at a time. I usually paint it while it's in the shop before putting it up. For one person use I build them 4X4 for multiple person use I make them 4X8.

I use 1/2 pt plywood for the sides and 3/4 pt plywood for the roof and floor. I do not want to rebuild in my lifetime, do it right once and be done with it.

I saw the subject line and thought you must have gang bangers in your neighborhood. We don't shoot houses here, it is against the law. The home owners get mighty excited when it does happen.

Mine is a 6x6 all metal with 3/4 in plywood floor.
Insulated it with 1 inch foil back Styrofoam .
Heated with propane and also a 1 burner coleman cook stove for the coffee pot.
Windows hinged at the top. Just raise and hook.
Liquid nailed the foil side of the Styrofoam to the metal sides and ceiling.
It can get warm enough to hunt in a tee shirt with the weather in the teens.
Yep you guessed it I'm a woosey, don't hunt in the cold and rainy. Too old for that anymore.

Cal

I might add I have never heard them called "shooting houses"before.
Around my neck-o-the woods they are called deer blinds.

Cal

Latest posts