Shooting Houses

Help Support CattleToday:

they are 9 x 12 windows I am putting sliding plexiglass windows in them my kids will be using them and I wanted small windows so that way they can move around more while waiting for the game to come was my thinking on it.

You'll never see most of the deer that move with windows that small. Make em way bigger and use camo netting to cover any movement.

Kingfisher":3bexr9o7 said:
You'll never see most of the deer that move with windows that small. Make em way bigger and use camo netting to cover any movement.

The front window on mine is 8 foot wide.
Paint the inside of the stand black they can't see you in it.
That 8x4 sits on the ground for the grand kids and they get plenty of close shots.

good point about painting inside black that's what I use to do. the stands positioning is why the window are they way they are but if you sat in it you don't miss much of a field of view as it probably looks like by the pic. The window bottom height is 38" but I am putting adjustable office chair seats in there. I plan on making each blind specific to each location but windows size is what im used to. I shot this video out of a 9x12 window with my phone propped up and had room for the gun and you can see the field of vision.

I have built several of these in the past few years and here are a couple hints I have figured out. Painting the inside dark is key IMO. Figure out some way to anchor it down. I built a couple on mine on wagon running gears thinking that would be enough weight to hold them down. It wasn't. Put some type of carpet on the floor. It cuts most all sound out and it helps keep it warmer with my buddy heater. The bigger the windows the better and unless you plan on keeping them open all the time you need to figure out how to build them so they don't make any noise when opening. Make a flap that folds down over the window that you can open and close. This keeps your windows from frosting up in cold weather and if you have the sun shining in a window early or late they work as a sun shade. It is a lot easier to see when you don't have to look directly into the sun. I have had camo netting on windows but it mostly just gets in my way. When sitting in chair window height allows gun to be level sticking out window. Weather stripping on bottom of window keeps gun from scratches and cuts noise down. Wasp and mice love these things. Plan for removal before season. 4X5 is about as small as you can seat two people and still move around for a shot. 4X6 better and my favorite stand is 5X7. I can take a nap on the floor while my son watches for deer.

yme i do much of what you are saying i use carpet on the window sill and on the floor i use to paint the insides but got away from it the windows i use are plexiglass and have a rail to slide on makes 0 noise is slid slowly . The one i built is a 4x4 shown in pic above and I will be placing a heater in there with me.The windows keep bees out in the summer my stands that are elevated are permanently fixed to the ground either by concrete or alot of anchors the ones like shown in above pic are movable.

I have used expandable foam in any cracks and the bees still find a way in. Just saying if opening day is warm :shock: .....better safe than sorry. I figure the darker the inside of my box is the less the deer can see inside but they still pick up a quick movement. After using mine for the past years with my young kids I never plan on climbing another tree. The ones I built on running gears are my favorite. If it is muddy I can pull them with an ATV into a field after harvest and pull them out whenever. If you build on rubber wheels they will have more bounce than you would think which can be a shooting issue on a windy day no matter how good you think you have them screwed to the ground. I have let the air out of tires at times and blocked them up at others. Both work. I found that it takes as little as a few days for the deer to start to accept them but with my portable ones I try to set one month prior if I can. By then they don't ever even look at them unless I make noise. I forgot to say go buy a couple cheep cup holders and screw them to the wall for drinks and do a shelf to put stuff on. I'll bet you will find something with you that you wish you had a shelf to put it on. You also need a couple screws to hang coats, hats backpacks and gear from. If done right you never have to move far to reach anything and you dont have a bunch of stuff laying of the floor to trip over or bump into which will make noise. Make sure you over build and way over screw the floor. You don't want a squeaky board. My wife calls my bigest box blind on wheels the "hillbilly high rise" but its way better than a cold tree. It has wall to wall, top to bottom carpet and a nice old office chair in it and I can really nap.. I mean hunt out of it in comfort.

yme I didnt check one year in a old blind came in sat down bumping around and some wasps had made a next lets just say my hunt that day was shortened abruptly. You have have me some great ideas about cup holders and hangers thanks. My blinds will go out in August if not before deer do seem to get used to them rather quickly. The carpenter bees tear my blinds up its a constant battle with them till i got the spray I made and they never return. If it keeps snowing like it did this year I may need a big propane tank and stay there all night.