Shooting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":28peezsu said:
True Grit Farms":28peezsu said:
skyhightree1":28peezsu said:
No warrant needed in Virginia the law allows me to go onto anyone's property by foot to retrieve my dogs by vehicle if they let me. Here in Virginia they would issue a warrant based off of that in a heart beat but we don't have to go to that extreme.
Even if it's fenced and posted? Can you carry a gun also? I guess there's no trespassing laws in VA?

No you can't carry a weapon and yes if its posted or fenced. Sure there's trespassing laws we just love our dogs here :lol:
http://humbrechtlaw.com/virginia-trespassing-laws/
I've been looking into trespassing laws in VA. I thought they were pretty good myself. I guess I need to meet the Sheriff before I close on our property up there. Hopefully he likes fresh seafood.

Anyone had trouble with "hunting" dogs?

couple years back we had a problem with hunters running dogs on our land. deer slaying starts on oct. 15 and that was in the middle of our calving season. stressing the momma cows and their calves not to mention running deer clean through our high tensile perimeter wire. tried contacting local sheriff department and game warden and got no help from them.

finally caught them out there one day and my grandpa parked the truck in the middle of the pasture, keyed up on the cb radio channel they were using and said "you got 5 minutes to get those @#$&* dogs off my land or im putting a bullet in all of them" so i preceded to grab the SKS from the back seat and propped it up on the roof of the truck as i was standing in the bed. Next thing you know bright orange hats were scrambling all over the place loading dogs in dog boxes. Havent had a problem since.

MillennialRancher":ai8lfuqv said:

couple years back we had a problem with hunters running dogs on our land. deer slaying starts on oct. 15 and that was in the middle of our calving season. stressing the momma cows and their calves not to mention running deer clean through our high tensile perimeter wire. tried contacting local sheriff department and game warden and got no help from them.

finally caught them out there one day and my grandpa parked the truck in the middle of the pasture, keyed up on the cb radio channel they were using and said "you got 5 minutes to get those @#$&* dogs off my land or im putting a bullet in all of them" so i preceded to grab the SKS from the back seat and propped it up on the roof of the truck as i was standing in the bed. Next thing you know bright orange hats were scrambling all over the place loading dogs in dog boxes. Havent had a problem since.

Good thing it was those guys cause I would have told you like the fool here that shot a coon dog shoot everyone of my dogs you see please cause receipts for $15,000 per dog would add up quickly in court that yall would have had to pay then serve a jail sentence the real loser wouldn't be the dog owners here. Dogs have roaming rights here in my county. One guy shot a coon hound and paid DEARLY after he had to reimburse for the dog and the future litters it could have brought in for revenue and his jail sentence... Pretty sure he sweats every time he sees a dog now. peta is based not far from here and they would be all over you following you around it wouldn't be good if you did that here.

skyhightree1":j7njswxw said:
MillennialRancher":j7njswxw said:

Good thing it was those guys cause I would have told you like the fool here that shot a coon dog shoot everyone of my dogs you see please cause receipts for $15,000 per dog would add up quickly in court that yall would have had to pay then serve a jail sentence the real loser wouldn't be the dog owners here. Dogs have roaming rights here in my county. One guy shot a coon hound and paid DEARLY after he had to reimburse for the dog and the future litters it could have brought in for revenue and his jail sentence... Pretty sure he sweats every time he sees a dog now. peta is based not far from here and they would be all over you following you around it wouldn't be good if you did that here.

There's the problem right there. The state is good enough to give you the right to go get your dog. So the dog hunters use it to go where they want to.
Just like bicycles have the right of way.
So the ride right down the middle of a one lane back road.... same deal.

My granddaughter has a app where she makes her own emojis..lol

Caustic Burno":hilwsen1 said:
You better keep them in that state then cause here it's called a target, as well as the dog owner bearing the liability.

CB come on up here we got places for you with free rent... :cowboy: :lol: just teasing you

callmefence":3c92psl0 said:
skyhightree1":3c92psl0 said:
MillennialRancher":3c92psl0 said:

There's the problem right there. The state is good enough to give you the right to go get your dog. So the dog hunters use it to go where they want to.
Just like bicycles have the right of way.
So the ride right down the middle of a one lane back road.... same deal.

My granddaughter has a app where she makes her own emojis..lol

I gotta get that app :D

callmefence":f83o6n3q said:
skyhightree1":f83o6n3q said:
MillennialRancher":f83o6n3q said:

Yep. Used to be pretty common around here especially when they could still deer hunt with dogs. They hunted where ever their dogs went and tried to use the "I have a right to retrieve my dog :bs: " till pieces of feces trespassing people started getting shot over it. Attitude adjustment.
Get my permission in advance or hunt on your own dam property.

skyhightree1":31a392x7 said:
MillennialRancher":31a392x7 said:

Sweet Jesus, 15K??? and your treeing a $5 pelt? That sounds like more money than good sense. But to each his own.

We've never had a problem with any coon hunters, I'm guessing because no one can afford it :lol2: Meanwhile i wouldnt give $.25 for the mangy malnourished bird dogs they chase deer with around here. Not to mention we are our own justice system in the these parts. Its like the wild west and that suits me just fine. We'll let our yankee friends to the north bicker in court and sue each other out of house and home! :D all in good fun

I'll be glad when they outlaw hunting deer with dogs in NC though. Bait or stalk, Hunting from the front seat of your '88 toyota pickup is just plain lazy.

I remember as a kid (60+ years ago) my Dad telling me that any dog caught chasing deer was shot on sight. Hound hunting has been all but eliminated in Washington and Oregon. Only coon hunting in Washington and bobcat and coon in Oregon. Hunting deer with dogs was outlawed a hundred years ago.

MillennialRancher":2qr139we said:
Sweet Jesus, 15K??? and your treeing a $5 pelt? That sounds like more money than good sense. But to each his own.
$5 for a coon hide ??? pretty good compared to what they will bring now in Oklahoma . Now many years ago I sold a bunch for 25.00-30.00 but not now. but that being said a dog is not valued off of the fur market, just like a boat is not valued on the cost of fish. People fish all the time in 70k boats and catch and release. take all the money spent on deer hunting and people could eat the best beef for along time. Its the enjoyment of the out doors and working a dog or catching a fish.

BRYANT":15hfmwdj said:
MillennialRancher":15hfmwdj said:
$5 for a coon hide ??? pretty good compared to what they will bring now in Oklahoma . Now many years ago I sold a bunch for 25.00-30.00 but not now. but that being said a dog is not valued off of the fur market, just like a boat is not valued on the cost of fish. People fish all the time in 70k boats and catch and release. take all the money spent on deer hunting and people could eat the best beef for along time. Its the enjoyment of the out doors and working a dog or catching a fish.

15000 is nothing compared to what a piece of property cost. A person shouldn't have to worry about a pack of yayhoos and thier dogs traipsing a through their pasture in the middle of the night. If you want to let dogs run wild
Buy you a few thousand acres and fence it properly.

I've decided the best policy for the landowner is to put the .223 away. Use a 22 lr. Gut shoot all dogs so they can make it home to die. No need to look for em.

callmefence":1hn8m6zy said:
BRYANT":1hn8m6zy said:
MillennialRancher":1hn8m6zy said:

15000 is nothing compared to what a piece of property cost. A person shouldn't have to worry about a pack of yayhoos and thier dogs traipsing a through their pasture in the middle of the night. If you want to let dogs run wild
Buy you a few thousand acres and fence it properly.

I've decided the best policy for the landowner is to put the .223 away. Use a 22 lr. Gut shoot all dogs so they can make it home to die. No need to look for em.
Like I said way back when I am not here to debate what you do with your land JUST ATEMPTING TO INFORM that we live in a different world than we use to live and there is lots of animal rights people with LOTS OF MONEY AND SOME HIGH POWERED LAWYERS that will go after you. Look back at some of what you all post on this site the right Lawyer, and he would not have to be that good, would take what you have said here on this site and use it against you in court. The courts are setting the precedents regardless of what you like or think or feel you live in the backwoods under backwoods law. These groups do not like farmers and rancher as it and they got money and social media is there friend plus most news media is on their side. There is people today that shot dogs that if they could do it over they would done it different, is there times that a dog needs shot ,you bet there is but the times we live in now you had better have all your evidence together before you do it, or you might be setting in the crossbar hotel wishing you had listen to ''ol BRYANT'' . Be careful and be careful what some of you are posting on sites like this !!!

a dog trying to kill your animals can be shot. i'm not going to let some neighbors dog kill a calve.

ddd75":3smvm5me said:
a dog trying to kill your animals can be shot. i'm not going to let some neighbors dog kill a calve.

One of the tried (but failed) defenses here is "My dog wasn't going to hurt the cattle, he was just barking and chasing them around a little".
:roll:
Yeah..like off into a pond in the middle of winter, or thru a fence, or until they just collapsed from exhaustion.
That kind of interaction between dogs and livestock has made dogs become completely invisible around here.
It's made others end up laying down motionless in the middle of busy blind S curve.

greybeard":zxkzumn6 said:
ddd75":zxkzumn6 said:

One of the tried (but failed) defenses here is "My dog wasn't going to hurt the cattle, he was just barking and chasing them around a little".
:roll:
Yeah..like off into a pond in the middle of winter, or thru a fence, or until they just collapsed from exhaustion.
That kind of interaction between dogs and livestock has made dogs become completely invisible around here.
It's made others end up laying down motionless in the middle of busy blind S curve.
It's a dang shame because it's usually not the dogs fault. We're dog lovers in this household, but if you keep your barking, biting, cow chasing dog where it belongs, everyone's the problem is solved.

One of the ranchers here had 300+ calves weaned 40+ days in a smallish pasture. He had them sold on the video and was shipping on Saturday. On Thursday night a neighbors dog decided to get in and chase them. Friday morning there were calves scattered from hello to breakfast. They were on the roads, mingled in with other peoples cattle, every where except in the field they started at. I had 18 of them in my pasture which is about 4 miles away. There was 9 of them up the canyon 5 miles past my place. No place to load them up there so they got to drive them back down here. It took them all day to gather them back up. That was the rancher, his hired man, and neighbors pitching where they could. How much weight do you suppose they had run off?

Latest posts