Shocking Chemical Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Was ready to apply some Roundup to the soybeans last week. Since the nutsedge was pretty thick, I thought it wouldn't hurt to add 3-4 ozs. per acre of "Pursuit".

Anyway...........when the guy delivered on Friday, sticker shock set in. 1 gallon was a total of $504 dollars!!!!!!! I sent it back and went with the Roundup only. I suppose I can always go with the "Pursuit" later if need be. :shock:

and that's why when I write out a check for ten thousand dollars for spraying my crops, I'm not supprised.

My grandpa is rolling over in his grave somewhere. :roll:

Yup its petrolium based, I payed $320 not so long ago for just 4 gallons of Pardner

I noticed the manure spreaders which would barely draw $300 last year are fetching 7-800 dollars at auction this year.

In my little operation I'm cutting to. Is almost everybody?? What is all this going to to as far as the total feed and forage supplies. :help:

mnmtranching":3i62nr2i said:
In my little operation I'm cutting to. Is almost everybody?? What is all this going to to as far as the total feed and forage supplies. :help:

I'm afraid there will be less of us standing in three years than there are today. Prices should go up but probably not enough for us to make any serious money. After all we are just producers and don't wear ties.

Jogeephus":1rybtxmt said:
mnmtranching":1rybtxmt said:

I'm afraid there will be less of us standing in three years than there are today. Prices should go up but probably not enough for us to make any serious money. After all we are just producers and don't wear ties.

Good point JoeG. However, maybe it is time for us to "put on our ties"... figuratively speaking. As cattle producers we may have to start being businessmen and marketing managers. To remain profitable, we should take more advantage of programs such as PVP, Natural Beef or other value added programs that cut out more of the middle men. Accepting whatever the sale barn gives us could end up killing us all (disclaimer: nothing against the commodity cattle sale barn, but why should we produce a premium product and accept "average prices"?) One example is the advantage of EID. A lot of folks have resisted or even become hostile towards the mention of a NAIS. Whether it happens or not, the use of EID can be used as a tool for record validation to receive premiums for our beef. This is but a mere example of the things that cattlemen can do to stand out above the ones who resist change and choose to remain at the status quo. (side note - C.O.O.L. is on the way and will probably have rules set in JULY. This will be the "back door" to a NAIS even if it does not provide farm traceback, so get ready)

Sorry if I go off topic, but ifwe are going remain profitable and sustainable in this market we are going to have to adjust the way we do business.

How many of you wonder about all the surveys the chemical companies conduct each year? Supposedly they are asking all these questions to better help you but somehow I get the weird impression they are just testing the water to see how much to charge.

Another thing I wonder about is how come a chemical that is on patent is toted as the best thing since sliced bread and is as healthy as an organically grown tomato. However, when the patent runs out the chemical isn't that good or is unsafe and needs to be taken off the market.

These questions, like the number of dimples on a regulation sized golf ball, are things that keep my mind occupied. I know the answer to the last one cause I counted them. Can't seem to count all the dang survey calls and letters though. ;-)

Everyone wants a taste of those high soybean/corn prices. Farmers see all of these big/high $$$ for the crops, but input costs are going to eat them alive.

Everyone will win but the farmer...

Hey! I've said it before and I'll say it again. "blame corn ethanol" Fertilizer and chemical companies are basing their prices on $5.50 corn. I'm :compute: I think corn ethanol may be responsible for the high fuel prices also. LOOK :shock: Corn ethanol would already be bankrupt if crude would have leveled off at $80. :nod: :cowboy:

What a hornet's nest. I should just keep my mouth shut, but I have a few thoughts too. Quite likely, misplaced. High corn prices are also due, in some measure, to the weak dollar. Exports are up because our grain is cheap on the world market now. That drives up the demand for our grain. Didn't I just read the other day, that OPEC wants to use another currancy to base oil prices on than the US dollar? Due to its low value?

Upwardly mobile chinese are demanding better quality beef, with a higher marbling content. Causing them to buy more corn to finish their fat cattle. The developing world is also consuming more of the available oil supply. I listenened to an interview with T. Boone Pickett on the way home from the farm Sunday evening. He said that we can't drill and refine our way out of the global demand for oil, and its resulting high prices.

I heard an interview with the spokesman of Saskatchewan's largest potash mine on the way home today. They are the world's largest producer of potash. He also said, the chinese demand for better quality beef was creating a market shortage and higher prices for the product. What was it he mentioned? They were producing 175,000 more tons this year than last? Something like that. It isn't much of an increase, is it? And he said they were running pedal to the metal, 24/7 to do that little bit more.

We used to have cheaper prices for diesel than gasoline. Europe had a surplus supply of diesel and we would buy it from them. But some years back, they turned proactive and pushed for a switch to diesel powered vehicles. Now there is no surplus over there. They got in front of us on that one. South America developed sugar cane based ethonol and have quite a surplus of production. But we can't import any of it, due to federal tarrifs, which makes it uneconomical for our markets.

I was at the sale barn a few weeks back. They sold off three pod loads of Natural Beef calves.....headed for the feedlots in Kansas. How much more did they bring? 10 cents a pound on the first lot. It fell to 7 cents on the final lot.

Here is my beef with the feeder calf/feedlot issue. There have been laws of the federal books for decades that make it illegal for a killing plant to fatten calves. None have ever been enforced, that I know of. The new farm bill had a provision that would prohibit killing plants from possessing/feeding cattle for more than 14 days before slaughter. The republicans killed that provision. Likely due to lobbiest money.

Want to get your suit and tie on? Go tackle the government and kick them into submission. Fair is fair. That's all we want. I'll shut up now and try to keep myself from getting in more trouble. I'm not in favor of any political party. In fact, politics, earmarks and special interest is a poor way to run a country. :help: It's all a mess. Everywhere we turn, things are upside down with the economy and politics.

mnmtranching":2zo39n0u said:
Hey! I've said it before and I'll say it again. "blame corn ethanol" Fertilizer and chemical companies are basing their prices on $5.50 corn. I'm :compute: I think corn ethanol may be responsible for the high fuel prices also. LOOK :shock: Corn ethanol would already be bankrupt if crude would have leveled off at $80. :nod: :cowboy:
So explain to us why Jan 2005 corn traded at $2.35 and December 2005 corn traded at $1.86 a 21% decrease in value. Yet Jan 2005 WTI spot price was $47 a barrel and Dec 2005 WTI spot price was almost $70 a barrel a 49% increase.

somn":2cpnymu8 said:
mnmtranching":2cpnymu8 said:
So explain to us why Jan 2005 corn traded at $2.35 and December 2005 corn traded at $1.86 a 21% decrease in value. Yet Jan 2005 WTI spot price was $47 a barrel and Dec 2005 WTI spot price was almost $70 a barrel a 49% increase.

Chemical and fertilizer companies knew what 60 new and expanded corn ethanol plants would do to the corn market once they would be using 25% and more of our domestic corn production.

mnmtranching":k2frfdwb said:
somn":k2frfdwb said:
mnmtranching":k2frfdwb said:

Chemical and fertilizer companies knew what 60 new and expanded corn ethanol plants would do to the corn market once they would be using 25% and more of our domestic corn production.
I see you have the paint brush in hand yet again what color you painting the floor with this time? Ever heard of Rita or Katrina? I'm sure it was just speculation of ethanol plants coming online nothing to do with supply and demand of oil. Tell that to the farmers in the area who in the fall of 2005 couldn't get any fuel to take out the worthless corn crop I'm sure they will believe you. Remember sit down and just let the paint dry then you can walk out of the corner.

Latest posts