Shipping from southeast

Help Support CattleToday:

Some went direct to a feedlot (ones where I owned the entire load). Some went to a sale barn where they bring 20 to 30 cents a pound more (shared truck). On the video.... to the world.

Bigfoot said:
Midtenn said:
Lucky said:
OKC or ElReno both have good sales. It's about $4.25 a mile to ship calves by the truck load. The thing for you guys would be the shrink. ElReno (OKC West) has a Facebook page that has sale videos, check it out if you haven't yet.

49,000 here at $1.30 = $63,700
49,000 x 5% additional shrink = 46,550 at ElReno at $1.50 =$69,825
Minus trucking 678x4.25 = $2881
$69,825-$2881 = $66,944
Profit of $3244 if my assumptions of shrink and price difference are close
If not, then maybe it's a starting point for further discussion?
Remember even selling here we have 3-4% shrink on precondition calves in the first few hours. I think the shrink slows down the longer on the truck or in the yards. Yes there's more overall, but the faster shrink is in the first few hours.

Can't be a calf sold here verses a calf sold there, minus fuel and shrink. Has to be a calf bought here, weaned and running straight. 60 days off momma, and 90-100 pounds heavier. You get 50,000 pounds together, and it'd be a shame to take them to a yard. That's a here they are, come get em amount.
These cattle would be what I raised but they would be straight and weaned 60 days. They WOULD NOT be an even load though which may be an issue. They would be steers/ heifers weights 600-800 so would be hard to sell as a load which is why I was thinking stockyard.

:pop: Been interested in this for a while now. Dave provided several solutions to someone who doesn't quite have enough for a pot load by themselves. I've always thought it would pay but never been willing to take the risk. But I'm getting closer. Interested to follow this thread. I'm kinda in the same boat with Midtenn. If I used my own calves it would be a mixed load with varying weights. Not sure that's the best route.

Guys split loads all the time. I helped ship 5 loads a few weeks ago, main man had 4 full loads but had to find 2 guys to fill last truck. OKC or El Reno will sort calves into groups by weight before the sale. If I had a load of calves in say 100 pound range I'd video them and sell through superior. Biggest deal for most people is finding a place to load out into a truck.

Lucky said:
Guys split loads all the time. I helped ship 5 loads a few weeks ago, main man had 4 full loads but had to find 2 guys to fill last truck. OKC or El Reno will sort calves into groups by weight before the sale. If I had a load of calves in say 100 pound range I'd video them and sell through superior. Biggest deal for most people is finding a place to load out into a truck.

I (we) used a portable chute I borrowed and panels set up to load out of. Sending a mixed load works to a sale. The mixed loads on the video look to take a bit of a beating. I would avoid that. But you can sell a load of mixed ownership on the video. You just need a place to load out with a scale. You also need the cattle to be reasonably uniform. My SIL reps for Superior. He has one place where the farmers have small numbers. He says there are 4 or 5 owners going on to the sale load.

I'm not one to call out people by name, but is there anyway someone could give the name or initials for "Eastern?" I've been talking to a guy on some calves from back east and I can't afford to get burned if that's what happened to others in the past. Like I said, I hate to ask this question. Even a private message would work. Thanks

What would be a ballpark premium on a full load of 750 lb. steers sold on video, versus a single steer sold at a good local market in your area? No freight involved, figure as a percentage over the single steer's price. Thanks.

Ginther said:
I'm not one to call out people by name, but is there anyway someone could give the name or initials for "Eastern?" I've been talking to a guy on some calves from back east and I can't afford to get burned if that's what happened to others in the past. Like I said, I hate to ask this question. Even a private message would work. Thanks

Eastern is out of business. Not sure who the owners were.

I have no idea on the answer to your question. But I will add I market almost all my cattle at Joplin. I am very pleased with them. If your interested, pm me and I can give you some phone numbers.

anewcomer said:
What would be a ballpark premium on a full load of 750 lb. steers sold on video, versus a single steer sold at a good local market in your area? No freight involved, figure as a percentage over the single steer's price. Thanks.

I guess this question was directed at me. Here in tn the premium is $5 to $10 per hundred I guess.

Ginther said:

Full blown train wreck. Been close to 10 years ago i think. Alot of neighbors got left holding a bad check here, They had buying station in my county.

littletom said:
Ginther said:

Full blown train wreck. Been close to 10 years ago i think. Alot of neighbors got left holding a bad check here, They had buying station in my county.
Different name, same family. Not as big yet but been buying for a couple years that I know of.

I am toying with the idea of a single axle day cab, and 40' ground load. From where I'm at, I can get to some pretty prime places in 11 hours or less.

Bigfoot said:
I am toying with the idea of a single axle day cab, and 40' ground load. From where I'm at, I can get to some pretty prime places in 11 hours or less.

I personally think that is a good idea Bigfoot. I was interested in doing something similar at one time, but my connection ran off and got married. He use to come over your way and buy calves every week.

Bigfoot said:

There is a guy way up in Northwest Washington who has one of those. He stays real busy. Is booked up solid most of the time. And from where he is he can only go South or East (North is the border and West is salt water). There are a lot more cattle surrounding you than where he is.

True Grit Farms said:
Bigfoot said:

I personally think that is a good idea Bigfoot. I was interested in doing something similar at one time, but my connection ran off and got married. He use to come over your way and buy calves every week.

I may not go through with it, but I toy with the idea pretty frequently. I don't want to retire, and be gone all the time. Wouldn't mind a little trip every 3 days though.

Dave said:
Bigfoot said:

There is a guy way up in Northwest Washington who has one of those. He stays real busy. Is booked up solid most of the time. And from where he is he can only go South or East (North is the border and West is salt water). There are a lot more cattle surrounding you than where he is.

I have zero connections, and my can do attitude is fading with age, but I do believe I could make it work.

Bigfoot said:

BF I know where a truck like that is for sale for 16,500. He is going to a pickup. I just bought a 36' gooseneck brand trailer. Between that and a 40' ground load we could partner up and put a pretty good group together :cboy:

Latest posts