shipping cow/calf pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider

Reaction score
As some of you know, I am purchasing a couple of pregnant highland cows. Well the guy I'm buying from, went to his farm in WV to pick them up to bring them here and found that both cows had their calves. They are around a week old. He suggested I find a couple of calf crates and bringing them to him to ship the calves, in with the cows, because he's afraid they would get fallen on and crushed. He's also afraid that it's too cold to ship the week old babies. It's in the 20's in the am there and it's warm down here. It's a 6 hour drive from there to here in NC. Do I need to get crates or should I just tell him to go ahead and bring them? How and at what temps do ya'll ship cow calf pairs?

Sounds like he has the right idea. Even shipping in warm weather, you take a risk with calves that young. If it was just a short trip, I might take a chance, but from W.V. to N.C., I'd go with the crates. JMO

Crap! Now I've got to find some crates and drive up to WV. Any idea where I might find calf crates? Do they have to be built, bought or borrowed?

Gliderider":13zrh5i4 said:
Strike bought, I'm broke after paying for the cows.

I feel your pain. Should be fairly easy to find someone in your area to borrow from. You might check with your vet to see if they have something you could use. Good luck. ;-)

These cows are going to kill me and they aren't even here yet! :p
Thanks Warpaint, I'll check with the vet and see what I can come up with.

Wait and give the calves a bit more time before you ship them. The folks you are buying from should have no problem keeping them a few more weeks for the calves sake. Then make sure the guy that ships them has a gate between the calves and cows to keep them out of the way. Are you still buying that bull calf or waiting to see what kind of bull he will make before wasteing your money.

S.R.R.":dft9h1ad said:
Wait and give the calves a bit more time before you ship them. The folks you are buying from should have no problem keeping them a few more weeks for the calves sake. Then make sure the guy that ships them has a gate between the calves and cows to keep them out of the way. Are you still buying that bull calf or waiting to see what kind of bull he will make before wasteing your money.

The only problem with that is the guy lives in TN and his cows are in WV. He's in WV now, he was going to bring them to me today. Was supposed to be here at lunchtime. Well he was SUPPOSED to be here last weekend, then Wed, then today.

How old do you suggest they be before we haul them here?

LOL....We have a deposit down on the bull, but it's not alot, we have til April to decide wether or not we want him. I'm almost leaning toward not getting him and just doing AI. We will only have 4 to 6 cows here total. I'm not sure the expense of a bull will be worth it or not. But then again I'll know what I'm getting.

On the up side both the calves are heifers, so that just doubled my cow crop. :D

S.R.R.":2y85q0p8 said:
Are you still buying that bull calf or waiting to see what kind of bull he will make before wasteing your money.

Oh, and the reason we wanted to get one so young is so we can raise it ourselves, to get it gentled, well as gentle as you can get a bull. We don't really have predators around here that will be any threat to a calf. My dogs won't let anything on their property that isn't supposed to be here. German Shepherds are territorial like that. Sucks for the neighbors dog though. :oops:

If you can get the extra couple weeks ( especially in your area ) that would be great the only thing we don't know here is if the trailer has a divider?

If it does then you have no worries, and if it doesn't I think a fella could rig something in the trailer to keep em seperate.

Your cattle but, if I had Highlands I wouldn't be worrying about temperature in public! lol :)

You are makin me jealous, guy had them in our area and the main problem was the Sunday drivers coming out to look at them. He also had a thriving freezer meat operation due to their reputation for lean meat.

Must admit I drove by this guys place to look at them myself several times, very hardy looking beasties.

Why can't he put the calves in either the front or back of the trailer and the cows in the other half? This is assuming that there's a cut gate in the trailer to separate them. That's what we have done in the past. They will be fine on a six hour trip if they don't get to nurse. Also, the weather shouldn't hurt them. Aren't thye kind of furry anyway?

Gliderider":11w8f9y5 said:
S.R.R.":11w8f9y5 said:
Are you still buying that bull calf or waiting to see what kind of bull he will make before wasteing your money.

Oh, and the reason we wanted to get one so young is so we can raise it ourselves, to get it gentled, well as gentle as you can get a bull. We don't really have predators around here that will be any threat to a calf. My dogs won't let anything on their property that isn't supposed to be here. German Shepherds are territorial like that. Sucks for the neighbors dog though. :oops:

Waiting a few more weeks would have been nice not because of the cold but to give them a chance to get stronger. As it is they are on their way so I wish you the best of luck. Glad to hear you are reconsidering the bull calf. Nothing worse then trying to grow your herd with a bull that turns out to be ****. As far as making him gentle do not do it!! Yes try to get as docial a bull as you can but dont make it a gentle pet. Most Highlands are calm including the bulls. You should not have to much trouble finding a good one if it comes to that. AI can be great with only a few cows. That way you get your pick of sure real good bulls and you do not have to keep it. If you

Yes, the trailer has a divider. He was worried about the older bigger cow beating up on the younger smaller cow. I don't see why he couldn't tie the aggressor. Not tight, just tight enough to keep her from punding on the smaller cow. I don't know if you can tie cattle in the trailer though.
SRR - They aren't on the way yet. They are still in the field in WV. As to the bull we didn't want to make a pet out of him, just gentle him down a little. Don't worry, I won't be out there brushing a 1200# bull! Unless of course, he needs it... ;-)

AngusLimoX - I was thinking the same thing about posting the temp thing. But it's really the seller that's worried about it. I figured they are highlands, they have long hair. Aren't there calves out there born in sub freezing temps?

Rustler9- They are pretty darned fuzzy. Even that calves look like fuzzy little lambs. Cute things.

So the basic census is to ship the calves and cows seperate. Make sure they have lots of bedding, and tell him bring 'em on? Or wait two weeks? Keep in mind, I'm extremely impatient. One of those, I want it and I want it now kind of people. :eek: ;-)
Thanks for all the replies.

If the guy has an enclosed trailer, the calf should be fine. We delivered a cow/calf pair last April from Wyoming to Kansas - approximately 14 hour trip. The calf was maybe 2 days old. We put the momma in one section and the baby in another and bedded that section. They were both fine. These little guys are tougher than you think they are. Just my thoughts.

Here's a pic of the bull calf I am considering. I know it's too early to tell, but I'm posting this so ya'll can see how fuzzy they are. This is at about a week old.

Finn.jpg

What a cute calf! He reminds of that old nursery rhyme Fuzzie Wuzzie. :lol: :lol:

Divide them and ship them.

Any time.

The trip is not enough to bother them.

Temp is not an issue - they are designed to take far worse than your local weather can offer.

Shipped about 15 pairs across the country - top drawer load - mixed 'em - straight run in - calves were one month.

All arrived safe and sound.

Driver has a lot to do with it.

Bez!

Thanks for all the replies.
I told him exactly what Bez said. Divide and ship them. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow....but he's put it off three times now, why not one more.

Should I give the calves a shot of nuflor or la200 when they get here to give them a boost? Or wait and see? What about the cows? I wouldn't think they'd get shipping fever from a 6 hour trip, but then again, I'm no expert.

Gliderider":3ca99sz2 said:
Should I give the calves a shot of nuflor or la200 when they get here to give them a boost? Or wait and see? What about the cows? I wouldn't think they'd get shipping fever from a 6 hour trip, but then again, I'm no expert.

Opinions on this vary, I personally am not a big believer in using antibiotics unless there is a problem as it just contributes to the bugs becoming resistant to the antibiotics. If this guy has a good vaccination program in place you should be good to go. Just keep these guys separate from your herd for a few weeks and watch them. If they start in with dull eyes, droopy ears, going off feed, lethargic, etc., hit 'em with some antibiotic. Buying private treaty is a lot different from buying from the salebarn. Just my thoughts.

oh now im really in a tissie over the highlands !i got to think my daugheter use to work for the buckhanon stock market last yr with the cow doc, buckhannon is maybe 50 miles from glenvile. maybe some one up there could hook up up with a calf crate?
amanda had to work for differnt vets to get in to vet school, she had a blast at the stock market,only got zaped one time with the shock stick,she was moving a cow, someone didnt think it was moving fast enough and zaped it as she touch it it! the cowboys couldnt remember her name so thay called her "sweetpea" LOL i could talk to the the other vet she worked for he might no of some one or some where you could find a crate.. good luck on your cows Rose

Latest posts