Sheetrock in pond?

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
I'm building a new home and I have my stock trailer at the home site so I can haul off leftovers and trash. We just finished sheet rocking and the trailer is full of leftover Sheetrock that I was gonna haul to the dump. My builder is also a rancher and he said they like to throw it in the ponds. Says it really cleans up the ponds, and kills the algae. Anyone ever done this?

The small clay particles will attach to the gypsome and settle .. it clears it up .. I'm not sure about it killing algae .. break it up small and throw it in ...

JSCATTLE":38507tqn said:
The small clay particles will attach to the gypsome and settle .. it clears it up .. I'm not sure about it killing algae .. break it up small and throw it in ...
I started to PM you this question. I knew you did construction and figured you'd know.

Thanks

The gypsum changes the water so that the suspended clay which are negatively charged will settle out. If the pond muddy it isn;t going to do much for it.

dun":1b849euy said:
The gypsum changes the water so that the suspended clay which are negatively charged will settle out. If the pond muddy it isn;t going to do much for it.
But no harm to cows?

Isomade":2p4sr3as said:
dun":2p4sr3as said:
But no harm to cows?
I've never seen it harm them. But it won;t do anything for algae if the nutrients are in the watre/watershed that contribute to it's growth. May even make it worse since the water will be clearer so it can get more sun light to cause it to bloom but that's just a guess.

We routinely lime a pond to clear it up, I don't see much difference. The only thing that would concern me is with the drought going on I would want to really make sure.

dun":29uld9te said:
Isomade":29uld9te said:
dun":29uld9te said:
But no harm to cows?
I've never seen it harm them. But it won;t do anything for algae if the nutrients are in the watre/watershed that contribute to it's growth. May even make it worse since the water will be clearer so it can get more sun light to cause it to bloom but that's just a guess.
I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure .

Latest posts