Sharpening shredder blades

Help Support CattleToday:

Hubby sharpens them on my batwing without taking them off all the time. Uses a disc grinder, puts the PTO in gear (with the tractor NOT running of course) and holds the blades still with vice grips. Takes the blades off when he replaces them, but he sharpens after 15-20 hours of shredding.

It's best to take them off and put them in a vise or clamp them to a table . I have a friend who tried it once and he was underneath and the grinder caught and kicked back and got him in the chin, he needed a few stitches but luckily he wasn't hurt any worse. Needless to say he takes them off. I put never-seize on the nut when I put them back on so they usually don't give me too much trouble.

dun":21idb3va said:
flaboy":21idb3va said:
I guess I am the odd one then (imagine that). I never take mine off to sharpen them. I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder, block it up, get up it, put my safety glasses on and go to town.

Part of the reason I take them off is to balance the blades after sharpening.

Prodon my ignorance here but Ineed to know how to do this.
What is the process used to balance the blades?
thanks
bill

William J Davis":12ybeeaf said:
dun":12ybeeaf said:
flaboy":12ybeeaf said:
I guess I am the odd one then (imagine that). I never take mine off to sharpen them. I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder, block it up, get up it, put my safety glasses on and go to town.

thanks
bill

The blades on each side only need to be blalncced within their pair if you have multiple sets of blades. I just use a fish scale and weigh each blade sperately then take off a little from the heaviest one till they balance (same weight). The local tractor joint that sharpens them uses a balance beam and does the same thing.

dun":quqd2b68 said:
William J Davis":quqd2b68 said:
dun":quqd2b68 said:
flaboy":quqd2b68 said:

thanks
bill

The blades on each side only need to be blalncced within their pair if you have multiple sets of blades. I just use a fish scale and weigh each blade sperately then take off a little from the heaviest one till they balance (same weight). The local tractor joint that sharpens them uses a balance beam and does the same thing.

Thanks dun, for the reply.

Angus/Brangus":3ddnmrm4 said:
novatech":3ddnmrm4 said:
Jogeephus":3ddnmrm4 said:
To help loosen the bolt, someone a while back suggested mixing break fluid with acetone and using it like WD40. I tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks to however posted "homebrew". That's some good stuff and easy on the wallet.
Actually it was transmission fluid not brake fluid. Under "rusty nuts" But glad to know that brake fluid also works. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Yes, this is true. We performed a poll of wives in the Brenham area regarding "rusty nuts" and determined that acetone was the nut loosener of choice. It was also determined that this same group of people was polled about Angus beef. Now we all understand the results :lol:

Reminds me of an old country doctor who saw a boy carrying a brush and some acetone one day. The doctor asked him what he was doing with it. The boy asked the doctor why he wanted to know. The doctor, flustered, but determined to show the boy up, said, "well, if you rub acetone on a pregnant woman's stomach the woman will pass the baby". The boy quickly replied, "Well, that may be, but if you brush acetone on a cat's butthole it'll pass a motorcycle!" LOL :) Hhehehehe... yall have a good one! OL JR :)

Latest posts