Sharpening shredder blades

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to sharpen the blades on a shredder with a grinder without taking them off? It's getting to the point I have to go over twice with the shredder to make it look nice.
Thanks!

I've never figured out a way to do it adequately. I just take them off.

What kind of shredder. The simplest thing to do is take the blades off. Most of the time the bolts are left hand threads. I use an impact air wrench. Then you can sharpen the blades or replace. If there is very much wear then it is better to replace. I do not think that shredder blades are as hard as they use to be. Mine do not last hardly any time at all.

Like Dun said just take them off. It can be done with them on but it is really a pain in the ass. While you have them off throw a bead of 7018 on the edge then gring your cutting edge on the bead and they will stay sharp considerably longer.

hurleyjd":3py57624 said:
What kind of shredder. The simplest thing to do is take the blades off. Most of the time the bolts are left hand threads. I use an impact air wrench. Then you can sharpen the blades or replace. If there is very much wear then it is better to replace. I do not think that shredder blades are as hard as they use to be. Mine do not last hardly any time at all.

I used to use a 6 foot cheater to break them loose. I finally got an impact wrench with enough oomph to do the job. I can;t imagine why I didn;t get one sooner!

I guess I am the odd one then (imagine that). I never take mine off to sharpen them. I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder, block it up, get up it, put my safety glasses on and go to town.

flaboy":3qwjdtpw said:
I guess I am the odd one then (imagine that). I never take mine off to sharpen them. I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder, block it up, get up it, put my safety glasses on and go to town.

Part of the reason I take them off is to balance the blades after sharpening.

Thanks! It's a 15ft Rhino batwing. I'm pretty sure I don't have the oomph to take them off even with the impact :lol: plus it seem like every time I try to take something apart more stuff breaks. I'll probably end up having to take them off anyway though. It's the one in the middle that really bothers me though.

sidney411":28l6ax0o said:
Thanks! It's a 15ft Rhino batwing. I'm pretty sure I don't have the oomph to take them off even with the impact :lol: plus it seem like every time I try to take something apart more stuff breaks. I'll probably end up having to take them off anyway though. It's the one in the middle that really bothers me though.

The outsides are easy, do them while they're in the air. I run a come-a-long between the wings and do the centers on the machine, they almost stick out past the wing hinge.

I balance mine by strategically adding baling twine or barbed wire to the lighter blade while I drive.

cfpinz

I can't get a grinder between the deck and the side of the blade that needs to be sharpened. So I have to take my blades off the mower.

cfpinz":1yw2hr9r said:
sidney411":1yw2hr9r said:

The outsides are easy, do them while they're in the air. I run a come-a-long between the wings and do the centers on the machine, they almost stick out past the wing hinge.

I balance mine by strategically adding baling twine or barbed wire to the lighter blade while I drive.

cfpinz

I balance mine when I replace them. :shock:

If you can't get them off with a cheater or impact wrench, heat up the nut with a torch. It will expand and can then be unloosen.
When you put them back on apply anti-sieze compound to both the threads on the bolt and nut.

farmerjohn":1og0fyw3 said:
If you can't get them off with a cheater or impact wrench, heat up the nut with a torch. It will expand and can then be unloosen.
When you put them back on apply anti-sieze compound to both the threads on the bolt and nut.

The few that haven;t come off with a cheater or impact wrench had to be removed with a "fire wrench" How somone can cross thread a hardened bolt and nut and pull them up tight is beyond me.

I have an old bushog, and when I got it the blades were rounded over pretty good. Instead of wearing out a few discs, I cut a new edge with my tourch. Put the head at a 45 deg. angle and pulled it back real steady, chipped off the slag, and left it like that. Cuts good and I never removed the blades.

To help loosen the bolt, someone a while back suggested mixing break fluid with acetone and using it like WD40. I tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks to however posted "homebrew". That's some good stuff and easy on the wallet.

Thanks, I'll have to remeber the brake fluid and acetone next time. I slowed down to A3 and it looks better. Maybe I can wait till next year to worry about it again :lol:

Jogeephus":2kid7qmd said:
To help loosen the bolt, someone a while back suggested mixing break fluid with acetone and using it like WD40. I tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks to however posted "homebrew". That's some good stuff and easy on the wallet.
Actually it was transmission fluid not brake fluid. Under "rusty nuts" But glad to know that brake fluid also works. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Angus/Brangus":qvgl0c7i said:
novatech":qvgl0c7i said:
Jogeephus":qvgl0c7i said:
Actually it was transmission fluid not brake fluid. Under "rusty nuts" But glad to know that brake fluid also works. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Yes, this is true. We performed a poll of wives in the Brenham area regarding "rusty nuts" and determined that acetone was the nut loosener of choice. It was also determined that this same group of people was polled about Angus beef. Now we all understand the results :lol:

Now why didn't I think of that!! Angus beef has no flavor - coating it with a little acetone might work wonders.

backhoeboogie":1g5x8tbw said:
Angus/Brangus":1g5x8tbw said:
novatech":1g5x8tbw said:
Jogeephus":1g5x8tbw said:

Yes, this is true. We performed a poll of wives in the Brenham area regarding "rusty nuts" and determined that acetone was the nut loosener of choice. It was also determined that this same group of people was polled about Angus beef. Now we all understand the results :lol:

Now why didn't I think of that!! Angus beef has no flavor - coating it with a little acetone might work wonders.
Your right. Probably helps break down all that excess fat at the same time it tenderizes the grissel.
:lol:

Remove and replace the bushhog blades. They coast about $15 each. If you want to cut grass get a finishing mower.

Latest posts