Sharing Information

Help Support CattleToday:

bez,

No... never heard of that.....one of those crazy horseman...I guess. Folks can be crazy abut their pets...try to treat them as human..I think...without results. It seems others often pay the price. :(

Bez":2phrzyz6 said:
flaboy - thanks for the chuckle.

I don't know much about horses or cows - never have.

But I did create a stir one day when I got bit by a horse. Teachers daughter rode over from their "farmette" to visit with my kids. Gets off the horse and stands around chatting.

Horse bit me. I hauled off and punched it in the nose - pretty hard. Got it fair and square.

She rides off to home a bit later - somewhat miffed - and Dad comes over later to give me a piece of his mind.

Next week see him in town with stitches in his cheek.

Horse bite.

Horse is still around - it never bites me.

They tried to "reason" with the horse. (Ever heard of that?)

It still bites them.

Go figure. 8)

I thoroughly enjoyed that post. The best type of pop psychology to use with animals is to accentuate the pop and forget the touchy feely psychology. I make no claims of being a good horseman but I know enough to understand the first thing about horses. Who is in charge must be established right from the start. It's helpful to get in an animal's head and understand how/why they think the way they do, but it's most important to keep the pecking order firmly established. Same with cattle.

Craig-TX

Bez":24gnh0jv said:
flaboy - thanks for the chuckle.

I don't know much about horses or cows - never have.

Horse bit me. I hauled off and punched it in the nose - pretty hard. Got it fair and square.

She rides off to home a bit later - somewhat miffed - and Dad comes over later to give me a piece of his mind.

Next week see him in town with stitches in his cheek.

Horse bite.

Horse is still around - it never bites me.

They tried to "reason" with the horse. (Ever heard of that?)

It still bites them.

Go figure. 8)

Bez

I didn't want to rile the weak at heart so intentionally left out the part on how to break them of that terrible habit. I used to carry a wooden hammer handle in my rear pocket just for the young stallion we had one time. My dad kept a 3 foot 2x4 right outside his stall. I wonder what PETA would think. :lol: :lol: I bet you could stick your whole arm down that horses throat and he wouldn't bite down.........

Guess there are lot of people out there that have had some marginal experiences with "horse people". My ongoing concerns are not about showing, but about just basic knowledge sharing about equines. Granted, the show circuit, showers of horses, and the various events that people participate in are extremely competitive and very neurotic at times.

On other hand, "basic information" about horse care, management, training is, IMO, not "revealing" any trade secrets that would jeopardize one's equine program and/or showing gig.

Finally, any cattle or horse person(s), facility that won't share information with me, answer my questions and take the time to engage in a reasonable dialog will NOT get my business (and definitely repeat business). Just because a so-called "expert or professional" horse person SAYS something needs to be done doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be done (as in "bring horse to my place for 3 to 6 months of training"). If one can't give me a justification or some specifics about training "needs", then I'll take my business elsewhere.

Remember: "Every potential customer is important. You can't easily tell which potential customer HAS $$ to spend (with you); or, may be willing to spend $$ with you. Don't burn your bridges before you build them. Keep customer, prospects informed, give them enough information to make a sound decision, and always follow-up and keep in touch after the sale. Your business "survives" on initial sales---it "grows" on repeat business and referrals."

I had horses for many years. Did the show scene..... Now I do not own a horse. There are a hand full of people out there that are genuine and kind, but they are few and far between. Now that I can look back, here is how I feel about a lot of horse people. Horse people have a disease. They cannot have a conversation without talking about their horse. If you try to start a conversation about something else, they will change it. They will spend their last dollar on horse gear and trucks and trailers to have that look when they pull in on the lot. Visual stimulation is the key. They will have the biggest dually and matching aluminum trailer with the living quarters, etc..... but go to their house, and you will see that they have much more money in their ride then they invested to maintain the upkeep of the house or house trailer. Get two horse people together talking, and they cannot hear what the other is saying for thinking about what they can say to out-do the other when they can get a word in edgewise. They will walk around you for a long time and act like you are invisible so that you will get the feel of where they are on the social ladder of the horse circle. Then when you are seen talking to someone "big" in the circle, then they will consider your presence. I do not miss the superfical BS that goes along with the horse scene.

Grandpa always said there is three kinds of people...whites, blacks, and horse people.

no offence ment here now folks...

I work with horse people quite often, sometimes more than I prefer. And the only thing that keeps me from comming unglued is Grandpa's comment. Has saved my behind more than once.

Chuckie":cqy40ehm said:
I had horses for many years. Did the show scene..... Now I do not own a horse. There are a hand full of people out there that are genuine and kind, but they are few and far between. Now that I can look back, here is how I feel about a lot of horse people. Horse people have a disease. They cannot have a conversation without talking about their horse. If you try to start a conversation about something else, they will change it. They will spend their last dollar on horse gear and trucks and trailers to have that look when they pull in on the lot. Visual stimulation is the key. They will have the biggest dually and matching aluminum trailer with the living quarters, etc..... but go to their house, and you will see that they have much more money in their ride then they invested to maintain the upkeep of the house or house trailer. Get two horse people together talking, and they cannot hear what the other is saying for thinking about what they can say to out-do the other when they can get a word in edgewise. They will walk around you for a long time and act like you are invisible so that you will get the feel of where they are on the social ladder of the horse circle. Then when you are seen talking to someone "big" in the circle, then they will consider your presence. I do not miss the superfical BS that goes along with the horse scene.

Chuckie, You hit the nail on the head, with the way a lot of Horse people live. You'd think they were loaded, til' you see their place.!! I see it all the time.Live like Hobo's...That was Priceless.

Did the horse thing years ago. Bred them, broke them, showed them, sold them all. I prefer the K Mule, only eats when it's working and I don;t have to shovel up behind it. If we were back in the desert canyon country wouldn't be without a horse though. Or maybe an equine Mule

dun

Chuckie, You hit the nail on the head, with the way a lot of Horse people live. You'd think they were loaded, til' you see their place.!! I see it all the time.Live like Hobo's...That was Priceless.[/quote]

I have an example. I drive by a "horse owners" home quite often. $5000 single wide "manufactured home". $40,000 truck, $25,000 aluminum horse trailer.

And here I go down the road pulling my old rusty steel stock trailer.

I agree on most of the comments about horse people but there are exceptions.
Back in 92 we were going on a elk hunting trip to Idaho. We were hauling 3 horses and 2 mules. We needed somewhere to turn the horses into for a night. I called around and was given a name of a man in Lincoln Nebraska that was about our halfway point. This fellow told us to come by his place and put them in his lot. It was really late when we got there and he had some hay and water waiting for them. He would not take any money. We left about daylight the next morning. As we were getting our stock we got a good look at his horses. He had some really high dollar horses and saddles. He trusted us enough to know that we wouldn't bother anything. We never even met the man. He had one of his hired hands meet us at the barn the night before. Trusting someone that he had never met or knew anything about said a lot for that man. Theres good ones in ever bunch.

Chuckie nailed it. Went to a wedding reception and saw this girl I used to work with. She lives in town, married to a slicker, and mom and dad have about 4 acres where she keeps a horse or two. This gal never shut up the whole day about her horse hobby. One would have thought her last name was Parelli or something the way she went on about her horse crap all day long with anyone who would listen. It gets old pretty fast. I like to ride, but the whole "horse scene" or "horse lifestyle" is a little hard to stomach sometimes. :roll:

Latest posts