Sharing Information

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Why does it seem to be that Cattle people are usually more than willing to help other cattle people with their programs, problems, care & feeding, handling & management,

But...

Horse people seem to be very reluctant to tell other horse people (especially newbies and others) anything that would help them in their programs, care, management, training, etc...

Then...

Is it because perhaps horse people are more insecure, uptight, "showing & winning is everything," etc., etc., than are cattle people???

Or...???

running arrow,

never thought of it...but, seems your right. Horse folks I think are influnced by the ..."proprietary information"...concept coming from the thoroughbreed breeders related to the derby's. Anything to win one!!! :roll:

Running Arrow Bill":37s9wb5f said:
Why does it seem to be that Cattle people are usually more than willing to help other cattle people with their programs, problems, care & feeding, handling & management,

But...

Horse people seem to be very reluctant to tell other horse people (especially newbies and others) anything that would help them in their programs, care, management, training, etc...

Then...

Is it because perhaps horse people are more insecure, uptight, "showing & winning is everything," etc., etc., than are cattle people???

Or...???

Most are of a Different Character than us in the Cattle Business. I'm not going to step on anybody's toes, but there's a lot of them that are down right snobs. My Daughter showed in Western pleasure events for years.Won a heck of a lot of events. We'd show up with a Gooseneck Stock Trailer, always clean, and you'd have to park next to the 50,000 dollar trailer, with living quarters, and so forth,they'd look at us like like we were the Clampetts' Most of them were City Folks, that boarded their horses, and stored the trailer and stuff with the Boarding owner.We all share a common Bond, and we try to share our knowledge with whomever asks for it, and sometimes those that don't ask for it. We're a Bretheren, we've tried things by trial and error, we're innovative and Mentors to many.We can drag a raggedy trailer to a sale and no one would insult us, we can wear overalls, or T shirts,we're more of a Family, not obsessed with anything except our love of the country, our Land, our stock and helping others, and being a neighbor you can be called on in a time of need.You're talking about two totally different groups of people with totally different motivations and ways of life.Now there are some darn good folks with Horses that would share their knowledge in the blink of an eye. But they aint' like all of us.

Seems you have run into a couple of probs in your part of the world or you would not have made that statement.

I have experienced similar probs as well.

I have also seen the "common horseman" make serious efforts to help others.

Horses are a rich mans game in the show world - style seems to count. Cattle are somewhat similar at major shows - but the country shows are for us "indigent folks".

I figure both groups play games in the show world though - I figure there are good and bad in all arenas.

Stay well,

Bez

Crowderfarms

Being a member of the Clampett group is not always a bad thing. If I remember correctly the TV Clampetts always had their neighbour's best interest at heart.

I would prefer one of them as neighbours to a couple that I have at present. 8)

Bez

Can't add anything because it's been said and I agree completely, been to more that one show where I felt that we were being "snobbed". Although there is a few nice people you can run into.

I have said it before, but I would love to find a good horse board where it's not a bunch of school girls wondering why their mare hasn't foaled for the 50 day in a row. Or you have to buy the "guru" product to get the right results.

Alan

Bez":2xzvu1la said:
Crowderfarms

Being a member of the Clampett group is not always a bad thing. If I remember correctly the TV Clampetts always had their neighbour's best interest at heart.

I would prefer one of them as neighbours to a couple that I have at present. 8)

Bez

Ellie Mae wouldn't have been a bad neighbor either :eek: :D

Only problem, the horse folks didn't even know much about the Clampett's. They would have been great neighbors, specially Ellie Mae.!Maybe Jed can come over here and shoot for some Crude... ;-) I mean at these bottomed out Cattle Prices, Oil would be a sure bet!!

Bottomed out prices?

Sure wish I could have your bottomed out prices! :D

Oil - now there's a good one. If you are related to Jed - then get your @ss up hare and start shooting.

8)

Bez

Some good comments on this thread... ;-)

Yep...think a lot of the "successful" horse breeders & ranches are on an ego trip or something like that. Even the "small" operations that have the nice barn, pens, aluminum trailers....

It's sorta like... "yes, you have a very nice looking colt (filly, mare, gelding)... lots of potential... just bring him/her over for 3+ months and we'll provide some quality training (~ $500 month)." Ok... but can you tell me about what training or what we should do next??? "Well... as I said before... just bring him/her to us for board/training...."

And, you know the rest of the story! LOL.

Yes... it is very difficult to make money with horses! You just SPEND money on horses. Yet... they why do all these people spend six, seven figure $$ on their horse operations??? ... Prestige, glamour, ego trip, showing is everything, have to "invest" the $$ I got (won, inherited, etc.) on something...

All this aside... when I was in the Landscape & Irrigation business, I didn't ever have any problems giving any of my acquaintances, competitors any of my "trade secrets"... Those "secrets" would not necessarily transfer 100% to another's operation. And, I still had all the business I could handle...

Back to horses: Even a simple question such as "Why does my saddle pad keep slipping back?" was often met with... "You would benefit from bring your horse to our facility and letting us work with him/her (and you) for a couple of months".

;-) :help: :x :(

Our vet doesn;t like to work with horses unless it's someone he knows well. He says it isn;t horses he doesn;t have any use for, it's the owners.

dun

lol.... yes I was part of the Clampett family also....

I've found that ANY competitive event, people tend to clam up about how they do it.... I've seen threads here on showing cattle where people didn't get very much advice yet I know there are bound to be many that show cattle.

Also what works for one may not work for another......

Bez":1vve4u21 said:
Bottomed out prices?

Sure wish I could have your bottomed out prices! :D

Oil - now there's a good one. If you are related to Jed - then get your @ss up hare and start shooting.

8)

Bez

Bez, Don't you think we'd need a Permit? I'll call Mr. Drysdale, and see if he's willing to back us.Better yet, Jethro has been doing pretty good lately, maybe he has few spare bucks. We could always start making bumper stickers... "Proud to be a Clampett" :shock:

Being a horseman and trying to become a cowman too it seems like most of yall might have just had some bad experiences with horsepeople. I am a horse trainer and the group I run with are down to earth folks, even most of the show horse people, and more than willing to help with horse problems. I agree that it's hard to find a horse board as good as this one is with cattle tho. Give some of us a chance and maybe we'll change your mind on horse people in general. Thanks again for all the info on cattle, and if I can be of assistance with a horse problem I'll be glad to try to help.

rc":1n8s7p3q said:
Being a horseman and trying to become a cowman too it seems like most of yall might have just had some bad experiences with horsepeople. I am a horse trainer and the group I run with are down to earth folks, even most of the show horse people, and more than willing to help with horse problems. I agree that it's hard to find a horse board as good as this one is with cattle tho. Give some of us a chance and maybe we'll change your mind on horse people in general. Thanks again for all the info on cattle, and if I can be of assistance with a horse problem I'll be glad to try to help.

I don't think the post was aimed at all Horse People, but I'm glad to see you have the "sharing" attitude. I've met some contrary Cattle folks too.I also believe "One Bad Apple dont' Spoil the Bushel" Thanks for your thoughts!!

From the sound of most of these posts, I must be the only one who ain't livin in "perfectville". Let me inject my side. Most of the cattle folks here in my neck o the woods are a horse of a different color than what I keep hearin about on this board in general. Oh, they good enough ol boys ta visit with ya, wave as they pass ya on the road, maybe even come over ta help ya doctor a sick calf that's about ta die on ya. But when it comes ta sharin any experience, knowlege, etc, FORGET IT. They all give ya that sorta look what says "Learn the best way ya know how there fella. Like I did!" Everybody round here seem scared that somebody gonna get a leg up on em. Sale barns same way. Nobody tell ya nothin! Ya be on ya own. No, all cattle men ain't the best folks come down the pike. Or maybe they jus don't like me..............george

I showed and trained horses for years in Illinois.. and definately a "different breed" from cattle producers, without a doubt!

Someone touched on it in an earlier post..I honestly think a lot of the reason no one is anxious to help out is they're afraid someone will get "one up" on them, or learn something to their advantage that would help them be better than they are now. Crazy thinking, but horse folks tend to have a different outlook! VERY competitive.. and when you think of the money that is spent in showing horses, you can understand a little easier why someone would do anything they can to have an edge over someone else.

Running Arrow Bill":ebresgwl said:

But...

Then...

Or...???

I think I was born on a horse. :lol: I know my mom went riding about two hours before I was born. At any rate I had a horse/horses even before I could spell horse. We ate, slept, breathed horses. We hunted off of them, we cow hunted on them, we roped off of them, we rode them in parades, we hunted escaped convicts on them. You name it we did it. We knew a lot about horses and still know a little. People used to come to us to ask for advice. My guidance counselor in school used to pull me out of school to go take a look at his daughters horse they thought was sick.

After my last horse died I just decided they require WAY too much time even though I just love them so I didn't replace him. With the advent of Jeeps, and Four Wheelers I decided they were easier to keep. Where am I going with this? Well I see people that get a horse and two weeks later they know everything there is to know about horses. I actually had two women ride by the barn and ask me about something about their horses, I told them "I thought maybe" it is was this that or the other. Right away they said OH NO IT'S NOT! Then why in hell did you ask? Another lady told me she had to take her horse back to the trainer because he tries to bite her. She said three times at $$$$ each time. I told her what I used to do and she said "oh I could never do that". She asked what I knew about horses and I told her I have more time in a saddle than she is old. She said. well you just can't treat a horse that way. I said "lady when a 1200 pound adversary is after me I will do whatever is necessary.

Bottom line is I think each of them thinks they know it all and either don't want to share or show their ignorance one or the other. I no longer offer advice even when asked. I usually say, "oh I don't remember much about them". Another lady said she heard I used to break horses and I said well yeah long ago. She asked if I would break one for her and I said no. She asked why and I told her, "well quite frankly you have already told me several times that my advice is wrong so my breaking a horse would be wrong also. I thought you guys knew everything about horses?" Well, she left in a huff so I don't have to worry about her anymore.

flaboy - thanks for the chuckle.

I don't know much about horses or cows - never have.

But I did create a stir one day when I got bit by a horse. Teachers daughter rode over from their "farmette" to visit with my kids. Gets off the horse and stands around chatting.

Horse bit me. I hauled off and punched it in the nose - pretty hard. Got it fair and square.

She rides off to home a bit later - somewhat miffed - and Dad comes over later to give me a piece of his mind.

Next week see him in town with stitches in his cheek.

Horse bite.

Horse is still around - it never bites me.

They tried to "reason" with the horse. (Ever heard of that?)

It still bites them.

Go figure. 8)

Bez

Latest posts