Sexed Semen/Embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
So is there consistent technology out there to take semen/embryos and implant cows to have strictily bulls or heifers or am I misunderstanding something.???? :roll: :?: :?:

Yes.. there is technology available to do that. Brahman breeders use that HEAVILY.. since no one wants Brahman bulls.

REI in Stiollwater is going to collect bulls and ship chilled semen to another company to have it sexed this fall just got a flyer on it.

Jeff

thats a good question I guess if you call your ET Tech he could guide you in the right direction. I would think buying sexed semen would get the job done when your flushing your cows but I would still get the details from your tech.
Good Luck

You need to be careful flushing with sexed semen as the results vary from conventional semen.

The embryos are sexed when collected. Have no idea how, but that's what I was told by an embryoligist

dun, I asked my vet once since he does embryo transfers and I was really curious. He said it's done by cutting/slicing some cells off the growing embryo (no idea how one could do "surgery" on something that teeny!) and they send them off to a lab where they're DNA tested... or something along those lines. Costs around $100 and makes the embryo a lot more fragile, so it lowers conception rates even more. The average is ~65% for fresh and 55% for frozen embryos... not sure it's worth it to sex them.

I know Ovagenex here in Texas sexes embryos and for sexed semen I know ABS has some bulls that they are sexing. A company here outside of College Station called Genetic Resources International does a lot of semen sexing..... If I'm not mistaken they do the work for ABS.

Right now, conventional sexed semen is NOT recommended for ET work or even to be used on COWS - only virgin heifers, because conception is considerably lower.
Embryos can be sexed. A company in Pa was doing it for another Simmental breeder here in NY, but stopped for some reason. Breeder loved it, only had heifer embryos implanted for a couple of years. Costly!

Latest posts