sewing holes in socks

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Being the cheapskate that I am, I find myself sitting with needle and thread quite often. sewing the holes in the toes of socks, patching knees in jeans, fixing holes torn in shirts and loose pockets.

Back to the socks...
Grandma has a wood "foot" that she puts in the sock to show her the shape to sew. That way no one complains that the seam rubs their toes. Anyone know what that thing is called and where I might find one now a days? I can't convince grandma that my generation needs things like that too. She says I have to wait till she is gone to get it. Gotta love grandma's and all their wisdom. :)

We used a smooth rock about the size and shape of a hens egg.
Always called a "sock egg"

dun

dun":3ruhkdiy said:
We used a smooth rock about the size and shape of a hens egg.
Always called a "sock egg"

dun

My sister calls it a darning egg.
Can you even get that special thread for sock darning anymore?

dun

I have my grandma's darning egg...only hers has a handle on it.

but the wooden foot your referring to is probably what bootmakers, and shoe makers call a "last". Still to this day, if you have a pair of custom made boots made, they will take measurements of your foot at all areas, then take a blank last, and shave off areas and make it replicate your foot. If you...say, had a corn, on a toe, or bunions(sp)...they'll add a piece of leather on to the last at the exact spot...so when the boot is made, it's already got that allowance in there... Also a long time ago, shoe factories had shoe lasts that were used to form shoes on, I don't know about today's factories.....some lasts now are made of fiberglass, or teflon like material.

Here ya go...pick one LOL
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Latest posts