severe heartburn

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Anyone had surgery to fix severe heartburn? Mine is causing me to cough all the time and doctors have recommended surgery. I never have talked to anyone that has had surgery and was wondering if one of yall has had it.

denoginnizer":3t7mvzn1 said:
Anyone had surgery to fix severe heartburn? Mine is causing me to cough all the time and doctors have recommended surgery. I never have talked to anyone that has had surgery and was wondering if one of yall has had it.
My Mom, had it, and was on a Prescription that cost quite a bit. A friend refered her to a book called 'What your Doctor does not want you to know". It stated Vinegar would work, and low and behold, if she takes a tablespoon of Vinegar when it starts to occur, it works. She never has had to refill the script.

denoginnizer":6tyebgeg said:

Not surgery but I did suffer from heartburn from time to time so I put a pair of 6" high Wood blocks under the legs of the headboard of the bed. This raised the headboard up 6" and has helped by heartburn and I now rarely have heartburn. I use to have heartburn 2 or 3 times a week.

Remember, before surgery, get 2nd and 3rd opinions and try all alternatives, Nexium, etc..........

I was taking Nexium but being the tightwad that I am, I decided to drop some pounds so I no longer have to spend that money on the "purple pill". I had done it before and my reflux stopped. I've lost 20 some odd pounds and I no longer take the Nexium. Chocolate, caffeine, and carbonated drinks bring on the acid, so I have cut them out of my diet.

If you have reflux, you probably have stomach acid burning your throat and leaving it inflamed. Then you get the acid on it and it is miserable.

Eat hearty druing the day but do not eat for the last few hours before you go to bed. If you go to bed with a full stomach, stomach acid will seep up and burn like the dickens.

Once the inflammation resides, you can relax a bit about it.

I don't eat after 5 and I don't take a nap with a full stomach. If I am so tired I am exhausted, I'll nap in a recliner. It is the same effect as someone previously suggest of placing boards under the bed elevating the headboard.

If you have already developed ulcers, stomach food is leaching out and onto those ulcers and that is what is causing the severe pain. Once the ulcers or other inflammation resides, it won't be so painful.

Other suggestins are good, I know. I would try everything before surgery.

I take OTC product tagament. I don't take it every day. Just when needed. It helps a lot.

Last spring someone suggested apple cider vinegar for backache. I decided to give it a try. I can't say it helped my back, but it does help with indigestion, acid reflux. I take it AM and PM.

I also noticed that since I started taking it, the mosquitoes don't bother me. It's worth the trouble for that benefit.

If you do use the apple cider vinegar, rinse your mouth after taking it if you take it straight. Otherwise I have read that it can damage the enamel on your teeth.
I put it in water.

Back to the original question about the surgery. My son-in-law's brother had the surgery and the last I heard he was having severe stomach gas and wasn't able to belch. Now that sounds almost as painful as reflux to me. It's a hard decision to make but I would explore every option before going that route.

I'm not a doctor but I have heard that acid reflux, if not controled, can cause permanent damage. I would get an opinion from a second doctor.

denoginnizer":1ratp2w0 said:

Prilosec OTC helped me a lot. And apple cider vinegar.

I have been taking 2 nexium a day . I am definatly going to try a little vinegar. Got the bed elevated and havent drank any carbonated drinks in about a year. Got a feelin that carbonated drinks are much worse on the body than most people realize.
Been watching what I eat, but in a fast paced world it is hard to find good healthy food.

I used to have heartburn every day, an it was bad as it gets. I went to Decaf Coffee an take otc Prilosec an the problem is solved.

I had to give up coffee also. Wood dust from working in the shop will give me bad heartburn too.

Rod

Had acid reflux.Dr. advised me to loose weight and stop eating too late before going to bed.IN time acid reflux WILL erode the esophogus causeing major problems.A cousin was taking an acid reducer but his doc took him off it because of some other problems that could show up with long term use.I would alter eating habits first and get a second opinion.

Started having the same problem about 6-7 yrs ago. After I had the first endoscopy, where they run the tube down your throat with the camera and cut a piece of the esophogus lining to do a biopsy with, the doctor showed me the pictures of my throat lining. It looked like someone had taken a blowtorch to it and burned the walls of my throat. They were almost totally black from all the acid I was bring up each night. He started me on Prilosec right away, and did another endoscopy about 6 months later. Lining was still bad, but not nearly as bad as before. Did another one 6 mos later, and it loooked a whole lot better. Did one yrly for the next couple of yrs, and each one was better and better. Had the last one done in 2004, the lining was pretty much pink and normal looking. Only have to have the endoscopy every other yr now.

I used Prilosec daily until Nexium came out. Now I take Nexium.
The doc told me if I didnt want to control it with medicine and diet, then surgery was the only option. If you have decent insurance, then you might want to consider the endoscopy and get a looks see inside of your throat and see what's happening down there.

GIRD....protonix or Nexium.
Try cutting the coabs and starches out of your diet.
I've been taking protonix every day for years and found that when I tried the protein diet I not only lost weight but the gird went away until I reintroduced the carbs to the diet.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

I talked to a pharmicist and a gastrologist about my acid and my hietiel hearnia, because I not only had acid but I was choking on everything I tried to eat. They both said to use Prilosec (the purple pill). During the first week of using it my choking was almost down to non-existant and after during the two months of using I have almost gotten choked twice.
The gastrologist says he takes it everyday. It certainly beats choking everytime you try to eat something.[/u]

The only way to really help that Hiatal Hernia is exercise like a treadmill 30 minutes a day get weight off and strengthen the abdomanal muscles. The coughing after eating will disappear.