Senepol

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
Has anyone used senepol cattle? What was your likes and dislikes? How do they handle winter?

Many years ago I saw some Senepol-Gelbvieh cross heifers that were some of the prettiest cattle I have ever seen.
The Senepol cattle I have seen were small, didn't show much muscle or growth. They really looked like ideal heifer bulls.

Good cattle in the south, not so much in the north. They do well here but the price is way off from other cattle because of the short hair.

I have 7 senepol/red angus cross cows that I bought last summer. They were bred to a polled Hereford and calved a few months ago. These cows are heavy milkers and the calves are growing very well. Better than anything else I have. Also they are very easy to handle and seemed to stay in good flesh all winter. Wish I had a whole herd of these.

Not sure I would recommend using Senepol too far north. A guy that ran some of his cows with ours back in the 90's AI'd some of his purebred Polled Hereford cows to a Senepol bull and we weren't a big fan of the results. The calves were slick haired with big floppy looking ears, really thought they were some ugly looking calves but the slick coats of hair were a concern to us because they weren't very ideal for Iowa winters or even the big changes in weather you can get just in the spring and fall too where it could be 70 and sunny 1 day then cold and snowing the next when a front moved in. Luckily he ended that experiment after seeing the results.

My friend had few Senepol crosses. They do OK in Wisconsin winters but their temperament sucked so that's the end of experiment.

trin":13n4h77q said:
Has anyone used senepol cattle? What was your likes and dislikes? How do they handle winter?
Beef breeders in the United States and Canada have "experimented", so to speak with improving their beef cattle for - give or take - about 140 years, using Hereford, Angus, Shorthorn, (British Breeds) plus Highland and a few others, and Continental Breeds, (not as concentrated as the British Breeds), and they have improved the genetics of those breeds so spectacularly to this date - - I am curious as to why a young breeder (or a new breeder) would think to reach out to an "unknown" breed such as Senepol, or many of the other bos indicus types - unless they had a bank full of capitalization and just wanted to experiment with their breeding ideas instead of focusing on making a profitable beef enterprise. Not to say that using or crossbreeding any combination of cattle breeds will not make a profit, BUT -the odds will be against you for a long time!

Just saying.

If Profit is your goal, use the proven breeds - which 99% of the tough genetic planning has been accomplished FOR YOU. Make a good, solid money-making BU$INE$$ decisions using the help that Breeders proceeding you have already done, and don't risk your capital on Pie-In-The-Sky 'wonderments'. You will spend a lifetime of not making much progress in your learning process. Ag Colleges, Foundations, and USDA have done a lot more than you can do in ten lifetimes.

DOC HARRIS

trin":3gxxct1p said:

I've had them, still have some influence in the herd. Excellent mothers, calm, very heat tolerant, stay in good condition most of the year with minimal inputs. Would be the perfect cow in my part of the world (florida) except for one thing. The dock at the barn is too much to bear. It is hard to hide the senepol influence at the barn. Most of the time it's a 50 cent dock or better.

My only advise to you would be.....run, run far away.

I've only read about them in Farmshow, but has anyone seen the STAR cattle from Lukefahr ranch? They appear to be various percentages of Senepol, Red Angus, and Tuli. Just from pictures, they look pretty good, and would surely possess good heat tolerant characteristics. You might give them a look see. I'm not pimping them, just thought they were an interesting cross.

LRTX1":199sqhsb said:
trin":199sqhsb said:

I've had them, still have some influence in the herd. Excellent mothers, calm, very heat tolerant, stay in good condition most of the year with minimal inputs. Would be the perfect cow in my part of the world (florida) except for one thing. The dock at the barn is too much to bear. It is hard to hide the senepol influence at the barn. Most of the time it's a 50 cent dock or better.

My only advise to you would be.....run, run far away.

Are they docked any worse than a brahman cross calf?

We don't get a dock on brahma cross here, so yes. I don't know what the dock would be elsewhere but, I couldn't imagine being happy with it.

LRTX1":1sueuqhj said:
We don't get a dock on brahma cross here, so yes. I don't know what the dock would be elsewhere but, I couldn't imagine being happy with it.
Were these ones are small framed cattle?

LRTX1":w44l95t4 said:
1000-1100lb cows
Wow, not very big cows. Buyers didn't like small framed calves here. I noticed that most sanga breeds ain't that big as our mainstream breeds.

Muddy":298j1o3q said:
LRTX1":298j1o3q said:
1000-1100lb cows
Wow, not very big cows. Buyers didn't like small framed calves here. I noticed that most sanga breeds ain't that big as our mainstream breeds.

On that note, I have two fullblood Mashona cows. One is a shade over 1000lbs and the other is a shade over 1100lbs. It's not uncommon for Mashona cows to be under 1000lbs.

zirlottkim":2lui993i said:
I have 7 senepol/red angus cross cows that I bought last summer. They were bred to a polled Hereford and calved a few months ago. These cows are heavy milkers and the calves are growing very well. Better than anything else I have. Also they are very easy to handle and seemed to stay in good flesh all winter. Wish I had a whole herd of these.
Where do you live? Thanks for your post.

I have seen some fullblood senepol cows that were pretty big cows. Their half angus offspring always impressed me as far as heat tolerant cattle go. I'd sure rather use them than brahman just for type and kind. But I don't have to worry about heat tolerance so it doesnt' really matter what my opinion is.

Kingfisher":15h99t4w said:
zirlottkim":15h99t4w said:
Where do you live? Thanks for your post.
Alabama, right on the coast.

I had senepol and crosses;they can take the heat but not cold wet weather. The star crosses would be better.i am using Mashona from Pharos ranch .I am interested star cattle. Bud Eanes 336472 2395 nc.

Latest posts