I looked at some Senepol heifers this afternoon.

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
Pretty decent looking cattle too. A young man who works for me is owed a debt by the owner of the cattle and they've finally reached a tentative deal to pay the debt with cattle. He asked if I'd look 'em over and try to finalize the deal.

The guy has a mixtured of animals....mestizos, Carora (milk production), Brahmans, and a handful of Senepol heifers. He was pushing the brahman heifers but they looked way to skiddish to me and way to light weight for animals that are supposed to be bred already. The senepols were obviously all bred with one looking to be a couple of weeks away from dropping a calf.

I selected and noted three Senepols and a single mestizo that I liked to cover the debt. When I showed the numbers to the owner, he didn't seem overly joyed. :D I told him that I felt the four animals were a reasonable cover for the debt and left it at that.

The young fellow and the owner can now roll around in the gravel. :p

And dammit, I had my camera with me and left it in the truck. :oops:

Next time tie your camera around your neck ,we like your pictures. :nod:

curtis":y6nw6ckm said:
Next time tie your camera around your neck ,we like your pictures. :nod:

I need that little head-smacking emoticon about now. :oops: I got so caught up in the moment, forgot all about the camera. Hey, the guy had some buffalo too....water buffalo that is. Impressive animals indeed but where my ranch is located it's way too dry for them. They're quite popular in the south of the state of Monagas where there's always a lot of water on the ground.

KNERSIE":3ecy9qe3 said:
What is a mestizo?

A mestizo is basically a Venezuelan mutt....mixed breed.

Well, the owner decided he'd let two of the heifers go and settle the rest of the debt with other assets. We've got him chasing after the permits we'll need to transport the animals. With a bit of luck, we can get it done tomorrow. If I can tag along for the ride, I'll get some pics this time. :oops:

Latest posts