Senepol cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

The Senepols i saw were short hair dark red and slick as a firetruck.

curtis":2nn7k1dm said:
The Senepols i saw were short hair dark red and slick as a firetruck.

The short hair, heat tolerance and improved carcass relative to Brahman is what got me thinking about using them. I thought it would probably make some good females of a more moderate size with better disposition. I wouldn't even mind a dock on the steer calves if I could get these type of females. However, the slick hair coat is a dominant trait and it seems the slick coated calves are likely to sell at a steep discount.

Most of the people I have talked to have only had a few head, but the discount seems to be a persistent complaint. It's still tempting to try on a few head, but I'll likely go a different direction.

A couple of ranches within easy driving distance of mine have Senepol and from what I've heard, they do well in this climate. I'm actually going to take a look at some young Senepol bulls here within a week or two. The slick hair gene is one I'd like to add to some of my cattle though I'm also hoping to get it with my crosses with the Brahman.

I quite like senepol cattle. The percentage females are very attractive and look MUCH better than a brahman X. Tim Ohlde is working with some crosses that are very, very nice cattle.