Semen Quality Test

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
Ok so long story short I bought a semen tank, but didn't buy it from the local AI guy(mistake number 1). I have however had him fill my tank with liquid nitrogen, twice. I've noticed a few discrepancies as to the level I measured the tank at, where my AI guy measured the tank at, what point the people I bought the tank from said the nitrogen level should be at before needing a refill, and where my AI guy said the tank should be at for refilling. I wasn't there to talk to him when he filled it last. Anyways now I have no idea whether the semen is any good so I am wondering if there is any way to determine semen quality without sticking a bunch of straws in some cows to determine if it is good or not. Thanks for any help.

Check a straw like Dun said. Also once a week measure your tank. Take a yard stick and make sure you have liquid nitrogen in it. I do not like to let mine go below 4 inches of nitrogen. Also keep your tanks somewhere that you see them alot so that you can remember to check on them. I keep mine beside my desk.

Unless it just flat went dry you're fine. Where you get into trouble with a low tank is when you breed out of it a lot and constantly pick the canister up into the neck where the temperature is higher. But as far as nitrogen levels in a tank you don't use much, unless it just flat goes dry you're fine.

Latest posts