Semen Price

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF

Reaction score
I listened to comments about the high price of semen and certificates of bulls. I wonder just what people think a fair price is? How much profit do you think a breeder should make on one straw , and how much do you believe the cost of collecting , storing , advertising, etc. cost the owner?

We have it backwards in hereford breed.
High price and certs for unproven genetics and lower price for old proven sires. Unless of course a bull gets hurt? lol then we market the mess....

Should be lower till we get a bull proven then higher when you "have something"

I pay the 40 for p606 he is solid cow maker in everyway and a cow improver. He doesnt do everything but no one bull does.
I am happy to pay the 40 as I know what I am gonna get.

The other bull promise alot and deliver... Well not all all... or later.

To much of a crap shoot, if you ask me?

Years ago it ran 12-16 just for the collection and storage. Have no idea what is is today. Jeanne would know since she was jus involved in this kind of deal. I'll pay 25 tops doesn;t matter if it's going into a commercial or registered cow. But that Red Angus and the certs are separate costs
I did just pay 30 a unit includding shipping for a bull that isn;t available any more

$20-$30 for Semen and certificate or just Non-Cert. would be a good price that would increase semen sales. You will see this be the norm in the future. ABS and the other companies will push it to this.

$10-$20 on strictly commercial semen.

LFF":x4q8j2d5 said:
I listened to comments about the high price of semen and certificates of bulls. I wonder just what people think a fair price is? How much profit do you think a breeder should make on one straw , and how much do you believe the cost of collecting , storing , advertising, etc. cost the owner?

I think most bulls should be priced less than $30, unless they are a highly proven bull with high demand or a dead bull with an obviously limited supply.

Honestly, if I had a young unproven bull in the same order as hereford-jock, I'd probably be almost giving the semen away to get a wide array of breeders to try it - because I'd want to know what I truly had in the bull. $10-12 for the semen if I was going to sell certs @$50 or $20-$25 and just make the bull a non-cert sire.

I just collected a bull - and because of the time of the year and a long haul from Iowa to get him there, he spent more time at the stud than I would have liked so I could get the quality of semen I wanted, but the total cost of the semen I had collected came out to almost $5 a straw. Most will be less...$2.50 - $3.00 a straw.

The other owners of my bull have been selling semen on him for $20 a straw, $40 a cert.
1.jpg

http://brinkgenetics.com/diesel.htm

Certainly not exorbitant, since he's somewhat proven and has produced some show ring winners - and one son is now in the stable of Genex, but my own preference would have been to sell his semen for $25 (10 straw minimum) and make him a non-cert sire.

George

Nice bull George. Great website.

Thanks for helping me find out I had the volume set waaay too high on my computer.LOLOLOLOL :lol2:

3waycross":1q05ag6b said:
Nice bull George. Great website.

Thanks for helping me find out I had the volume set waaay too high on my computer.LOLOLOLOL :lol2:

I don't know why Jerry thinks that music is so "cool" on his web-site. I keep my speakers off, so I had forgotten about it!

Personally, I think anyone that puts music that automatically plays when their web-pages come up ought to be shot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

George

I agree about the sounds and don't even have my speakers hooked up.

When I did have sound and went to the Pharo website there was a cow bawling and my wife whos' a little hard of hearing would go out into the yard to see what was wrong with the cow. :D

$25-$30 seem fair to me... If you take an AI sired calf to a sale you will get $500 or more for it vs a calf out of your cleanup bull... that makes it easier, for me, to justify paying a little higher price... I can't afford to buy all the bulls that I use AI'ing... It would be nice to have them walking in my pastures...

My Lad bull is priced at $20 with a volume discount-high semen and cert costs on marginally useful bulls has definately been the bane of the Hereford breed.

George is accurate about the collection costs.
Now advertising - that's a different story. Varies greatly. My bull's semen sales paid all his expenses (including adv) with money in our pocket & lots of semen in the tank still.
$20-$25 is a fair price. Of course, we don't have any certificates (Simmental), so that isn't an issue.

Pretty good correlation between semen production costs and level of condition on a bull-a lean bull gaining weight will outproduce a hog fat one nine times out of ten-they don't have to stay long at the stud if you collect them with a pail instead of a thimble.

LFF":1qhmuvir said:

WOW, looks like Obama's 'at some point you've made enough' mentality is all pervasive. The price is what the market will support, if it gets too high it won't sell for regular use (as opposed to ET). What are you prepared to pay for a straw or cert? That's the only question.

robert":26hppwq4 said:
WOW, looks like Obama's 'at some point you've made enough' mentality is all pervasive. The price is what the market will support, if it gets too high it won't sell for regular use (as opposed to ET). What are you prepared to pay for a straw or cert? That's the only question.

Obama's mentality? :? Take that back and call me a SOB! :lol:

What would I pay for semen and certificates? It depends on the how hard it is to find and who the bull is. If it was Mr Felt 3008 , and I was confident that the semen was good I might pay 300 or more a straw. I don't want cows by Online 122 so at 1000 a straw it is not even considerable to me, however I might think about it at 100 a straw as a experiment. For most bulls that I use semen cost 25-40 dollars and certificates are around 50 dollars.

I have a friend that wanted to use Embracer 8006 and was willing to pay 100+ for semen. I was told by another poster on the board that he had some and would sell it for 100 a straw, however he must have changed his mind.

Just how much will you fellows that are high on KING TEN pay for straws and certificates? ;-)

I am interested in the cost of collection and storage. Why? I am trying to build a herd that produces a bull or two worthy of collection, (maybe with some limited sucess). I also want to establish a price per unit that will appeal to producers while making it worth my time and effort. I do plan to make a decent profit and will not give semen away, except to very few people , just to get a bull proven. Thats part of the problem with cattle production today. Producers are price takers and many do not know their true cost. We need to get away from Henry Ford's ideal of production. For western ranchers that may be able to run 2000 or more cows , 100 dollars profit per cow might be acceptable. For me running 50 cows 100 dollars per cow is not worth the effort. Some of you may say that the small producers are the problem , however the small producer provides a large percentage of all the beef sold.

LFF":1282cd9t said:
I am interested in the cost of collection and storage.
Here's an idea! Why not check wit hthe collecting places around you and find out from them? It is going to vary from place to place, quantity, where it's done, etc.

This is from the latest Genex contract:

3. Fees. Genex will perform services according to the following fee schedule:
Room & Board $8.00/day New Bull setup Fee $25.00 Special Board (non-collecting, extra feed, etc.) $10.00/ day
Collection Charges no freezable semen $30.00 CSS charges & export health charges $cost varies per need
Per Bull 0-499 $2.00/unit 500-999 $1.60/unit 1,000-1,999 $1.40/unit
2,000-2,999 $1.30/unit 3,000-4,999 $1.20/unit 5,000 and up $1.10/unit
On Farm: Setup Fee $35.00 Mileage $0.75 Per mile round trip Each Additional bull collected for semen appraisal $25.00

Semen Storage Fees: $0.10 /unit in advance for each three month quarter and not refundable if semen is stored for less than the entire quarter.
Semen Shipping Fees: Handling charge $25.00 per container plus direct shipping, inspection and export/import costs as more specifically described in paragraph 8.
Veterinarian, Health Inspection, Blood Typing and Genetic Tests required by breed associations or regulatory agencies: These are the responsibility of Owner and, if paid by Genex, will be reimbursed immediately by Owner.

4. CHANGE OF FEES. All Genex fees are subject to change upon providing Owner written notice of such changes.

dun":539l594y said:
LFF":539l594y said:
I am interested in the cost of collection and storage.
Here's an idea! Why not check wit hthe collecting places around you and find out from them? It is going to vary from place to place, quantity, where it's done, etc.

I have made some inquires. I'm interested in others experiences.

Latest posts