Selling to Whole Foods

Help Support CattleToday:

jerseybullvt

Reaction score
Anyone out there have experience with selling "grass fed" to Whole Foods. I understand they buy only from associations of growers, never at auctions, Maybe sometimes directly from growers(??)

Curious to know experiences with them both neg and pos. especially about who to contact to join a group selling to them.

Thanks, Jersey Bull

Good luck, their protocol is ridiculous and their so called certifying group is stacked with members of such organizations as peta. Using a chute is illegal as I understand it. I would imagine you would have to be large enough to supply fresh almost year round unless part of a larger group. They are nothing but industrial organic with high markups.

Why not direct market?

I don't care who I sell my cattle to, as long as they put in the highest bid!
I'm a "what you see is what you get" seller and I don't discriminate.

SL

The guy I buy my hay from sold about 100 head to them a couple years ago. To begin with he was happy. The price sounded real good. The problem came in trying to make grass fat to the size they wanted in the time frame they wanted. It sounded good but the time and extra feed he had into the steers didn't work out too well. He didn't sell them the next years calves.

Latest posts