Selling landlocked property

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Z

Reaction score
Folks - Does anybody know of someone that would buy a 40 acre (5 year planted pine) property that happens to be landlocked (SE Mississippi)? It is within 1/8 mile of a public road but I really don't want to sue neighbors for access. I'm hoping somebody might know of a timber/land company or investor that will consider such a purchase. It's a nice place...great drought proof creek...no power lines or other encumbrances, surveyed, fenced on three sides, no dispute on fourth side, etc. Any ideas?
Thanks

Have you asked your neighbors if they are interested in it? It might be easier for them to own it than to worry about someone new coming across them to get to it.

I am not sure how all of the laws work regarding easements and they may be different in your state. One of my friends owned a peice of land that bordered a lake. His neighbor put the lake in and in doing so cut himself off from part of his own land. My friend said that he did not have to give the neighbor and easement because the neighbor had cut himself off from the property. You may need to talk to a lawyer about your options.

Here in Ol' Missippi' a landowner can not be denied access. I would be required to go to court but access would most likely be granted. I would have to pay the neighbor "damages" but that is only fair. I just don't want to get into that but it may be my only choice if I can't find someone else that is willing to deal with it. Frankly, our legal system down here has been trashed so thoroughly by plaintiff lawyers (bogus lawsuits) - decent people don't want to be associated with it.

My neighbors won't sell me an easment. I've tried off and on for 10 years to buy one. We get along very well...they're nice folks...but, they won't work with me around access.

Farmer Z":2izcriz8 said:
My neighbors won't sell me an easment. I've tried off and on for 10 years to buy one. We get along very well...they're nice folks...but, they won't work with me around access.
In Tennessee if property is landlocked, access cant be denied. An easement has to be granted, or deeded for you to gain access.Check with a good real estate Attorney about your options.

Crowderfarms":2mgvjsr9 said:
Farmer Z":2mgvjsr9 said:
In Tennessee if property is landlocked, access cant be denied. An easement has to be granted, or deeded for you to gain access.Check with a good real estate Attorney about your options.

Here too. Just happened last year a few miles from me.

The road for easement is to be maintained by the landlocked owner with full right of access. (Power lines, water lines, etc.)

How have you getting to your property to this point? How did it become landlocked. Answer those questions and you should solve your problems. I don't know if this is the same situation but I had a developer buy land around me. He had no access. Did not want to pay me for access. Finally told him to do what ever the law allows. He gave up on me and started getting to his land by boat. He subdivided the land into numerous lots. Which on hindsight was done to encourage me to buy the land I'm sure. Which I did, end of problem.

In response to Bluestem - I bought this 40 many years ago from an old aunt that wanted to sell her inheritance. Interestingly, she had owned it for 53 years but had never seen the property...she married young and moved to the other side of the country. It sits on the backside of her brother's (my uncle) rather large farm. Ol' Unc let's me cross his place to get to it but does not want anyone else having access. I should point out that it is nearly a mile across him to reach the place. He's kind of 'culiar as we say around here. The road closest is on the other side...those neighbors would be the folks to grant an easement since I'm only 1/8 mile from the road on their side.
It's looking more and more like I need to take y'alls advice and proceed with legal action.

Latest posts