Selling beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
I have 2 steers for butcher with the slaughter guy coming Tuesday morning. I'm taking a 1/4 of one and selling the rest. With all my Dr appointments and starting to work again I forgot about finding buyers. I posted on my local Facebook page beef for sale. I sold the rest in 45 minutes, $200 deposits, And could've sold another one. $3.79/lb. Plus cut and wrap. I'm not a big Facebooker but don't discount how many local people you can connect with. Anyone else have any luck selling on social media??

For some things facebook sells very well. I sold a couple bottle calves last year and was surprised on how many people wanted bottle calves. I have also sold some old woven wire we took off our fence, and I was also surprised on how many people wanted that old wire.

I have 2 steers for butcher with the slaughter guy coming Tuesday morning. I'm taking a 1/4 of one and selling the rest. With all my Dr appointments and starting to work again I forgot about finding buyers. I posted on my local Facebook page beef for sale. I sold the rest in 45 minutes, $200 deposits, And could've sold another one. $3.79/lb. Plus cut and wrap. I'm not a big Facebooker but don't discount how many local people you can connect with. Anyone else have any luck selling on social media??
I didn't think it was legal to sell beef unless you are certified. Could be difference in laws from state to state. I'm in Kansas.

I didn't think it was legal to sell beef unless you are certified. Could be difference in laws from state to state. I'm in Kansas.
Customers are buying quarters and paying for processing, not packaged meat. I can sell shares also, but not by individual packages.

Might be a state to state ruling. Here in NY, we can sell "live" cattle by the sides based on hanging weight. Absolutely stupid. We can also sell 1/4's - but you can't sell a package of hamburg legally.

Customers are buying quarters and paying for processing, not packaged meat. I can sell shares also, but not by individual packages.
Ok,I misunderstood. I also sell on the hoof going to processor, but haven't actively pursued customers other than my friends.

I wouldn't recommend selling individual cuts. Works okay in the short term but you get stuck with a lot of roast and hamburger over time.

2 local grocery stores advertised sales last week.
certified Hereford Beef 85/15 hamburger 3.40 lb
100% Angus All Beef Hotdogs 3.89 lb
fine print nutrition label on back 77/23

I bought a pound of each and was impressed.
Hamburger left less fat in pan than I expected and the hotdogs were darn tasty.
Both were cheaper than my cost to produce and no 30 lb minimum order

Last edited:

Latest posts