selling a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I have a 14 mt old bull that I have with 5 heifers. I guy came to look at the heifers and wanted the bull. I didn't have him listed for sale in the ad. I told him I would sell him for $1000 but I would not guarantee him because he said he wanted to put him on 30 heifers. He said if I didn't stand behind my cattle why should he want them. I told him I would not expect any 14 mt old bull to service 30 heifers and I couldn't stand behind that. If he put that bull on that many heifers and he could even breed them all he wouldn't be worth having after that, it would more then likely ruin him. Was I wrong?

sidney411":3hgta58w said:
I have a 14 mt old bull that I have with 5 heifers. I guy came to look at the heifers and wanted the bull. I didn't have him listed for sale in the ad. I told him I would sell him for $1000 but I would not guarantee him because he said he wanted to put him on 30 heifers. He said if I didn't stand behind my cattle why should he want them. I told him I would not expect any 14 mt old bull to service 30 heifers and I couldn't stand behind that. If he put that bull on that many heifers and he could even breed them all he wouldn't be worth having after that, it would more then likely ruin him. Was I wrong?
no you stated how you would gurentee the bull.an honestly 30 heifers is to meny for a 14 month old bull.unless you are turning him with them to breed on a unlimited time table.the most that he could breed is 15 heifers.so the guy would need 2 bulls to breed them.the question is do you really want to sale the bull.

a young bull could be managed to breed 30 heifers, but I am yet to see a bull customer that would be willing to do that.

I sold a bull of 15 months to a commercial guy who said that he only wanted the bull for use on 12 heifers. I went to check on the bull and he was turned in with 65 mature cows, after breeding them he was put in a small pasture with another 6 cows and heifers. Needless to say he didn't grow much in the meantime, but he bred them, or at least the vast majority of them.

It is often better too miss out on a sale than sell a bull to someone who aren't prepared to look after him as he should.

Every time we sell an intact bull to a commercial breeder (or a Longhorn breeder) we have the bull semen tested and give the report to the buyer. No other warranties expressed or implied. If the buyer is naive, we tell him/her that until the bull is at least 24 months old, he can safely service one female for each month of age he is without losing his condition (assuming he is fed properly along the way) or getting overly stressed.

All the bulls we've sold are ready and willing to "Git--Er--Done"... ;-)

The man said he wanted the bull. You had not advertised nor offered him for sale. You owed him nothing. Also, you do not know how he would manage the bull or anything about nutrition.

You did nothing wrong.

We've put 14-15 month olds in with 25-35 cows/heifers at a time and never had any problem but, don't expect them to grow very well. They are much like a high school boy, rather starve than miss a, well you know.

sidney411":3rn70vku said:

Actually, you were big time wrong!

You just need a little lesson to smarten you up and you need it right soon!

And I am the one to smarten you up and I am going to do it right now Sydney - so listen up and listen up smart like - or else.

The next time someone talks to you like that on your place and to your face - you just politely smile - point to the lane and tell him- real quiet like - to close the gate as he leaves - that way you will not have to worry about his kind coming back in the yard.

He will get the idea.

Have a good one - oh - and if you did not get it - you actually did do the right thing in my books - you just handled it differently than I would have - but you are far more polite than me.

You see, whether or not the bull could do it was not the problem. It was the smartass crack the guy made that would have ticked me off.

Regards,

Bez>

i wouldnt sell cattle to this guy at all. he sounds like a dildo and a lazy one at that.

sidney411":ze1yveer said:

You're right not to gurantee him. That's too many cattle for a bull so young. He might be able to do it; might not. But if you gurantee him and the guy brings him back in six months worn out and wanting his money back, you're the one left holding the bag. You're not going to be able to make every buyer happy and most people will appreciate your stand. Stick by your guns.

Thanks, this really makes me feel better about my decision. I was on the fence about offering to get the bull tested but I still didn't want to guarantee him knowing what the man wanted out of him and not knowing anything else about the guys operation. It really frusterates me when I have men that come look at my cattle and then think that because I'm a woman I know nothing about them and think they can talk down a bargain.

If somebody wants an iron-clad guarantee, let them go somewhere else. There are so many variables in the scenario, you'd be crazy to make promises.
What's his pasture and heifer condition, what's his feed program look like, how's his overall herd health? A ton of factors will influence.

Bez>":3ee78fsh said:
The next time someone talks to you like that on your place and to your face - you just politely smile - point to the lane and tell him- real quiet like - to close the gate as he leaves - that way you will not have to worry about his kind coming back in the yard.

That's the first thing that went through my mind when I read Sydney's post. I figured the guy was trying to be an overt smarta$$ or trying to intimidate Sydney because she's female, or both.

"He said if I didn't stand behind my cattle why should he want them." .... he would have been run off immediately at that point.

sidney411":2crwhy77 said:
Thanks, this really makes me feel better about my decision. I was on the fence about offering to get the bull tested but I still didn't want to guarantee him knowing what the man wanted out of him and not knowing anything else about the guys operation. It really frusterates me when I have men that come look at my cattle and then think that because I'm a woman I know nothing about them and think they can talk down a bargain.

All the more reason to look the guy in the eye and look hard - say nothing for a minute and point to the gate. They soon learn.

You done good gal!

Bez>

Latest posts