selling a 3 mo and 4 mo calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
gut that buys feed from me wants a cpl steers. i offered up 2 nice ones i got for 1000$. ones 3 mo and the other is 4 mo. if ya say it in weeks it sounds kinda young but theyre both on grass and feed. i gather he dont know much about it since he asked me if they were fully weaned yet....i told him they will be soon as he loads em on the trailer.

what do yall think about it..theyll be a few weeks older since he wont be pickin em up til the first week of aug.

theyre on grass so....they ready to go?

I buy hundreds that size every year to put on feed and I lose very few. So if your asking, are they ready to go yes is the answer.

theyre bunk broke and grazing so i figued they'd be ok. hes concerned they aint been weaned yet but i told him he will wean em just fine. he wants em cheap but .............

the more they wiegh...the more ya pay

no other input..

im feeling like its early but the youngest ones momma is already sold and he want to get her picked up.

Extension was recommending weaning anything 300lbs and up last year during the drought. They should be fine but if I was buying I would want them weaned and vaccinated. You've been honest with the buyer so all you can do is load them and wish him luck.

he will have to grain them daily an not expect them to survive on grass alone as young as they are.

I'd be more worried that he would give 'em too much grain right off the bat--or decide to put them on milk replacer to shut 'em up-he'll be calling you back wanting to know how to get rid of the scours.

yeah hes already asking me if its ok to call for advice..hes a feed customer so i guess...

i told him either get some milk replacer to just add into the the feed theyre already on the pellets i sell...or move em onto calf manna or something like that for 6 mos.

dieselbeef":24zdw7i1 said:
theyre bunk broke and grazing so i figued they'd be ok. hes concerned they aint been weaned yet but i told him he will wean em just fine. he wants em cheap but .............

the more they wiegh...the more ya pay

The majority of the calves here on any given Sat. at the salebarn will be 4 to 5 wt's being bought by the order buyer's.
You take a 400 pound calf through the barn right now they are bring 2 dollar's a pound a 6wt a 1.50.
I don't understand it but you are losing money hanging on to them the more they weigh the cheaper they are.

true..but if they go to the barn and i never see em again thats one thing.
this guy is a feed customer trying to get into cattle so he can raise meat for his family. it cost me a few pennys more true..but i dont need to haul em either so that saves me the dif in the long run. sellin em private sometimes dont make as much money...and i know we aint doin it for fun...but looking at the big pic i come out bout the same. and with less actual labor..if the grief factor is still a bit higher dealing with people....long as they dont die...hahha

Latest posts