sell before or after Labor day?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We've got 12 calves that are about ready to sell. Would it be better to sell right before Labor day or after?

I agree with denver, I posted a similar question a few months ago, dealing with selling on a holiday week. Either sell the week before or hold them until a week later. I experienced this, simple thing is a lot of buyers are taking the week off or that sale off.

Alan

denvermartinfarms":2xi1s8su said:
Before, and if it was me I would sell them next week.
This year nothing is like normal but most years in the east as the bigger runs start the price weakens. Might not happen this year but you know for sure now what they are worth and you will be guessing what they are worth after Labor Day.

Alan":2nhi9d9o said:
I agree with denver, I posted a similar question a few months ago, dealing with selling on a holiday week. Either sell the week before or hold them until a week later. I experienced this, simple thing is a lot of buyers are taking the week off or that sale off.

Alan

Around here, ya have no choice unless you want to haul them 100 miles.
most Sale barns close up the week of the holiday.

greybeard":nmnqbj0g said:
Alan":nmnqbj0g said:

Alan

We do different here than most sale barns. We have a customer appreciation day on Labor Day because most people are off work. We have free hamburgers and BBQ with all the fixins. We always have a big crowd and a real good sale.

kenny thomas":1qayp5v2 said:
greybeard":1qayp5v2 said:
Alan":1qayp5v2 said:

Alan

We do different here than most sale barns. We have a customer appreciation day on Labor Day because most people are off work. We have free hamburgers and BBQ with all the fixins. We always have a big crowd and a real good sale.

Not trying to be a smart azz, but do the buyers show up for the hamburgers and BBQ? I think it's a bad time in our area. Also, someone just posted selling a $2800 slaughter bull (sale price) in this area when they wanted $2500 or $2200 for it and got a buyer.

The buyers do show up but not really for the burgers. Most of the other sales are closed that day so we get their buyers that we might not normally get. And some of the locals are always there that day buying a few which helps the prices.

holidays usually mean the prices slipp a little the week before and the week after.but with all classes of cattle so tight.i dont know how true that is.we are getting ready to send a load this weekend if they stay in the trapp.plus 3 show heifer prospects next week if they stay in the trapp pasture.

if I was u I'd sell them at the next sale unless they would have special sale coming up before the holiday because I like to sell at them special sales if possible

If the stock market continues to drop, I would sell mine next week. I do not think I would chance selling them after Labor Day.