Self leveling loaders?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
For those that have a self leveling loader do you like it? Looked at a tractor with one on it but never had one on a tractor loader before. Ran some skid steers with self leveling but not much. Would I see much benefit frm it on a farm tractor? This one was hydraulic and can be turned on or off.

Just takes less skill to run one with self-leveling feature. When seals start leaking and hydraulics start to bleed it will not be self-leveling anymore. Joystick control is all you need for easy operation.

We have a mechanical self loader with a joy stick that is purty nice. I think it was $700 more.

The self leveling sometime hinders. When trning the edge down to level or need to turn the bucket back farther when lifting. I did not get it on the last tractor. I did not think it was worth the extra. You will get adjusted to using either.

hillrancher":t7xjo1rg said:
You will get adjusted to using either.

i'd say thats right. i grew up with a 2 lever system and the joystick is a joy. i have found that not only do it take just one move to move hay from different elevations you also have to learn how to use it with the implement at its more extreme postions. It still makes 2 moves for your one and it is purty cool.

tom4018":13iccu2p said:
For those that have a self leveling loader do you like it? Looked at a tractor with one on it but never had one on a tractor loader before. Ran some skid steers with self leveling but not much. Would I see much benefit frm it on a farm tractor? This one was hydraulic and can be turned on or off.

Out of curiousity what brand of loader was it? I've never owned a self-leveler but have used a few and liked them. The last loader I bought was a Bush Hog and you can add the hydraulic self-leveler later but I haven't sprung for it.

cfpinz":ggpnoao0 said:
tom4018":ggpnoao0 said:

Out of curiousity what brand of loader was it? I've never owned a self-leveler but have used a few and liked them. The last loader I bought was a Bush Hog and you can add the hydraulic self-leveler later but I haven't sprung for it.

This was on a Kubota I looked at.

Went from a two lever loader on a 4020 to a joystick self leveling on a 7200. Love the joystick, but could go without the self leveling. To me, the joystick is the key.

bandit80":3kc3dv7i said:
Went from a two lever loader on a 4020 to a joystick self leveling on a 7200. Love the joystick, but could go without the self leveling. To me, the joystick is the key.

I must be old fashioned. I hate the joystick, seem to have more and better control with the the old t handled comtrols.

I didn't know that self levelers were even available. I have a Koyker loader with joystick on my 1486 and I can't see the hay spear when I'm sitting in the seat. I have on occassion tried to spear a hay bale and the dog gone thing was pointing up in the air (or dragging the ground). I think it would be nice if the spear were always level with the ground no matter how high off the ground it was. Is this what a self leveler does for you?

dun":3ij7uf8o said:
bandit80":3ij7uf8o said:

I must be old fashioned. I hate the joystick, seem to have more and better control with the the old t handled comtrols.

Me, too. I tear up more stuff with the joystick, but that's most likely an operator problem. My joystick is cable-controlled and is a piece of junk. Paid 5 grand for the loader and they sent me a joystick from a Tonka toy, factory seals on the cables would leak and then cables froze when it got cold. Best joysticks I've seen were on the Quicke loaders.

I really like having a joystick ,but self leveling is a pain to me I know where I want the bucket I'd pay more not to have it.

Dun, it is a real art to stack hay with the t-handles. Everybody should first learn the on the t-handles, kind of like learning to drive a standard before an automatic.

r and s peckman":ug3v0pds said:
Dun, it is a real art to stack hay with the t-handles. Everybody should first learn the on the t-handles, kind of like learning to drive a standard before an automatic.

Or learning to hunt with a single shot. ;-)

lilmac":inlu6a5d said:
r and s peckman":inlu6a5d said:

Or learning to hunt with a single shot. ;-)

Doesn;t everyone hunt with a single shot, or a muzzle loading shotgun?

r and s peckman":30oflxjv said:

I've got two loader tractors, one with a joystick and a two-stick. Still use the two-stick for all the stacking. More control and the tractor is a lot narrower.

tom4018":wshaol4g said:

Absolutely love it you can set it up self leveling or not.
Its great when I am working on something in the air, I can lock the brake and have the wife raise me to where the work is.
I never have to move the forks but up or down when loading hay in the field or unloading on the float .

Latest posts