self feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Poundsy

Reaction score
I seperated 6 weaned calves about 2 months ago and got them started on feed(corn/38% beef pellet/molasses/alfalfa) ground medium. I put them on a small self feeder about 2 weeks ago and they are not showing any signs of bloat,acidosis,or foundering. My question is do you think this feed mix is too "hot" for them. They have seemed to back off eating hay(round bales mainly grass). This is my first experience with a self feeder,just a little worried about what could happen. And before someone jumps in about $$$$ of the ground feed I don't pay a dime for my corn. I buy the 38% beef for $13/50lb bag and the molasses for $6/40lb bag. Mix is 100 pounds alfala-700 lbs. ground corn-100 lbs 38% beef-10 lbs grainular molasses. Any help would be great.

Not a bad mix but I hope they get more roughage than the 100 lbs. of alfalfa mixed into the total ration. You've got a good hot feed there with 12-13% crude protein and 75-76% TDN depending on the quality of the alfalfa and the ingredients in the supplement pellet. Should do a good job on them. Acidosis could be a problem unless you can get them to eat more of the hay.

Thanks alot. I figured about the same protien as what you did. They have round bales in front of them all the time, just seems like they aren't eating as much as they did before. We have had a good cold spell here in Indiana so maybe the weather has a little to do with it also. I typically would not use a self feeder but the calves are at my father in laws and I just don't have time to get to them everyday, and his health doesn't allow him to get out in bad weather. If this system works out I will be running all my fall feeders on self feeders this coming fall/winter.

Try to determine intake per head per day out of the creep feeders. This my help figure out the low hay consumption.

KMacGinley":3jngko2p said:
If they have free choice access to hay, they will self regulate their hay needs, I would not worry about it at all.

Hay intake is not the problem...it's the lack of hay intake...too much of a mix like that without adequate roughage could cause short term and long term problems.

TexasBred":1w1eqxtx said:
KMacGinley":1w1eqxtx said:
If they have free choice access to hay, they will self regulate their hay needs, I would not worry about it at all.

Hay intake is not the problem...it's the lack of hay intake...too much of a mix like that without adequate roughage could cause short term and long term problems.
I've seen calves sit at the creep feeder and eat and eat and eat. It's a recipe for disaster, like TB said, if they don't get out of the creep feeder and put some sort of roughage in there as well. I've heard guys claim that grinding the grain very fine limits the intake as the calf gets a dry mouth from the powdery consistency. Not sure if the works. Problem is fine grinding speeds up the breakdown and could be a bigger issue.

O.k., I switched my ration and am putting more hay in it. Instead of ground corn I am going to use cracked corn with the same amount of 38% and molasses and salt. I might of screwed up though because I let the feeder go empty for 3 days to see if they would turn to the hay. Of course they did and are devouring it. I guess I will have to start over and build them back up to the free choice feed again. If I had some good hay I wouldn't use the feed but the fescue hay just isn't enough for them to gain what I expect.

We fed out of self feeders for decades, my Grandpa, Dad and me. If you give them access to hay, no worries. Start them out slow and makes sure they have their clostridial shots.

Texasbred

I remember reading somewhere that they make feed ingredients that will completely eliminate that problem. No need for any roughage whatsoever.

greengrasscattle":2pru0t4u said:
Texasbred

I remember reading somewhere that they make feed ingredients that will completely eliminate that problem. No need for any roughage whatsoever.

Oh yeah? There are a lot of roughage products available to feed cattle but nothing works like grass. Soyhulls are high quality, very digestible and high in energy but don't have the high "fill factor". Cottonseed hulls are used in a lot of feeds in the south for "bulk". I can usually buy "fiber" cheaper in a bale than in a bag and save that bag space for protein and energy.

Thanks for everyones input and advice. Here in Indiana the only readily available fiber source is hay and I have plenty of it. Might need to spray it with a little liguid "sugar" to get them on it reguarly.

Hi,
We would put in 100lb of salt/tonne. This will limit their intake. With each batch you could drop the salt level until they are down to 10lb/tonne. make sure there is free choice hay/straw for roughage. we drop it: 100...80...60....25...10. Hope this helps :tiphat:

We finish cattle on self feeders and have for many years. Feed,mostly barley. We work them up to full feed in bunks,usually takes about 3 weeks and then let them go to the feeders. The feeders need to be checked and cleaned daily,the fines removed. I do realize that there will be some that says it won't work but have done this for60 years and with proper management it does work.Beleive that with corn it would be even easier as barley can be pretty starch'y. Also know that the grain does not need to be ground to fine. The cattle always have access to straw or just ordinary hay. Also need a very good mineral and vitamin program.

Latest posts