Seeking advice on bermuda vs bahia in a new pasture.

Help Support CattleToday:

StacyB":2zt56eq2 said:
HerefordSire":2zt56eq2 said:
Lime costs about $42/acre spread here in Northeast Texas. Lime costs about $5 ton at the quarry and the rest is transportation and spreading costs.

The SE corner of Oklahoma has some lime quaries. Several years ago it was in the low 20s per ton. You spread though.

Hello, I need to get two tons of lime spread asap. I'm in Northeast Texas .. between Paris & Powderly. I was looking at one of the supply stores here selling it for $5 per 50# bag. I don't know where to buy it by the ton .. Please let me know who to contact to get two tons lime spread. Thanks![/quote]
Call your local fertilizer dealer. They usually spread lime also but I doubt they would want to do 2 tons.

Southwest Mississippi. You can't be too far from me, so I'm assuming we're similar in a lot of aspects. I used to be a big supporter of bermuda, and still am b/c of it's higher quality than bahia, but bahia has one HUGE advantage: drought resistance. This year alone was proof enough; no rain for two months and all of the bermuda was long gone. The bahia was still green and growing. I have both native bermuda and bahia. Maybe certain types of bermuda would be more drought resistant, but I don't really want to mortgage the house to plant a pasture.

So I'll vote for bahia, but won't turn down the native bermuda when it shows.

In a perfect world - bermuda. In the REAL world - Bahai! This year's drought in Ark taught me. Mixed pasture looked like someone had burnt it off, but whenever we'd get a sniff of rain (2/10"), the Bahai would bounce right back for a week or so. Bermuda been dead for months. Matter of fact, got almost 2" rain this week (finally) and the Bahai is greening up - IN NOVEMBER!

Latest posts