seeding newly cleared land

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
I'm in dire need of some advice. We're just about finished cleaning green briars, poison ivy :mad: and blackjack oaks from 20-25 acres of good sandy loam that hasn't seen the light of day for years. My problem is time; I was going to take some vacation time during May to prepare and plant bermuda grass seed. But, as usual, our plans have been changed due to forces outside our control - elderly parental issues, co-worker's extended maternity leave, etc. After dozing, we pulled a large i-beam to level things out. Overall, I'd say the seedbed is fairly good. I need some advice on what seed to plant in a hurry ( with little to no addditional seedbed preparation) to keep down erosion and hopefully get a little grazing from later. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Annual rye is about the fastest sprouting stuff I've found. You might want to do a soil samples to make sure that the ph and fertiltiy are right for what you plan on planting. The good thing about annual rye is you can turn it under for a green manure crop when you get ready to plant the stuff you really want

I agree with Dun. The rye might not even work too good since I doubt we ( and I suppose that includes you) will get an average rainfall.

Douglas":181k63du said:
Do you mean ryegrass Dun?
Yes, annual rye grass.
Nothing fancy, just the chepa stuff that most places sell for fast growing lawns. Usually the cheaper the lawn seed blend the higher percentage of annual rye it has in it

You could also try german millet but you'll never get rid of the stuff in your life time.

D & D,
If it were fall or late winter, I'd definitely go with ryegrass; however, here in north Texas, we've only got about another month, at the most, until it's too stinking hot for the ryegrass. Right now the ryegrass I planted in the fall is already starting to head out. I should have specified a warm season grass.

I'll check into the German millet. Why would I want/need to get rid of it in the future? I'm good with any grass/forage that will grow and the cows will eat it . Heck, I even like crab grass....and the cows do to!

Thanks for the input.

Texas Gal":2vrklzjl said:
D & D,
If it were fall or late winter, I'd definitely go with ryegrass; however, here in north Texas, we've only got about another month, at the most, until it's too stinking hot for the ryegrass. Right now the ryegrass I planted in the fall is already starting to head out. I should have specified a warm season grass.

I'll check into the German millet. Why would I want/need to get rid of it in the future? I'm good with any grass/forage that will grow and the cows will eat it . Heck, I even like crab grass....and the cows do to!

Thanks for the input.
The german millet we planted bolted to seed really fast and has now formed a solid mat (volunteers the second year) that is choking out even the fescue.

Right, you would sure want to avoid rye or ryegrass at this time, much too late in the year to get any "mileage" out of them in Texas. Consider pearl millet for now and summer, as it is pretty drought tolerant and under the right conditions can produce a heck of a lot of forage and/or hay. In addition to millet, haygrazer, sorghum alum, and various of the other "cane" grasses are good for "new ground" in my area of Texas and I assume that they would also be good in your part of the state. If I were you I'd hold off on the permanent pasture for a year or two, since you will no doubt continue to have a lot of problems with resprouts and/or seed germination of greenbriar and other undesirable grasses, weeds, shrubs and trees. Turning the soil several times during the year, along with use of Grazon or some similar product, should help you to get rid of much of the junk that you would not want in the field as a competitor to your permanent grasses such as bermuda.

Kentucky 32 is pretty cheap at the co-op and would possibly work for you.

Texas Gal":23qaebaf said:
D & D,

Thanks for the input.

Guess you really need to consider competition if you eventually do plant bermuda, but crabgrass my not be a bad choice. http://www.farmseeds.com/grasses/crabgr ... lecrop.htm

I also am working on a few acres that I bought that are very rough from a neighbor . One side of it is steep. Steep to the point I have problems keeping the track loader on the hillside. There is almost no topsoil on this bank and I already have had some erosion. I have now cut a terrace around the hill to redirect the water but I need to get ground cover ASAP. Here where I live in zone 7 it is getting hot quickly and ryegrass will not last more than another month IMO. I am sowing cereal rye, cheap and will grow nearly anywhere, just to get a quick cover and I am interseeding with pearl millet. If this takes hold I will sow grass and clover come Fall when the roots are more likely to establish. In your case sow whatever is adaptable to your area for this time of year.
IMG00211-20100423-1130.jpg

agmantoo said:
I also am working on a few acres that I bought that are very rough from a neighbor . One side of it is steep. Steep to the point I have problems keeping the track loader on the hillside. There is almost no topsoil on this bank and I already have had some erosion. I have now cut a terrace around the hill to redirect the water but I need to get ground cover ASAP. Here where I live in zone 7 it is getting hot quickly and ryegrass will not last more than another month IMO. I am sowing cereal rye, cheap and will grow nearly anywhere, just to get a quick cover and I am interseeding with pearl millet. If this takes hold I will sow grass and clover come Fall when the roots are more likely to establish. In your case sow whatever is adaptable to your area for this time of year.

I was back at the above location this afternoon.
Here is a pic I took while there that is almost exactly 6 days to the hour after I sowed the seed of the cereal rye
IMG00221-20100430-1839.jpg

agmantoo":2k0co6h0 said:
agmantoo":2k0co6h0 said:

I was back at the above location this afternoon.
Here is a pic I took while there that is almost exactly 6 days to the hour after I sowed the seed of the cereal rye
IMG00221-20100430-1839.jpg

How much did the cereal rye cost, and where did you get it?

Latest posts